Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 18:14   #16

Re: Using the boom as a crane - sliding track

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a block on a sliding track attached to the underside of the boom? Would this work?

I see a lot of "we tied a loop over the boom" kinda threads but what about screwing a track to the underside of the boom and allowing the block to slide along the length of the boom? That would sure make moving things out from the deck to over the water (or dock) much simpler.

For example I want to pick up a dingy with small motor attached and get it over the deck. I can pick it up with the boom, but then have to swing the boom and the dingy would end up over the cockpit, not over the deck.

With a slide rail, I could pick it up from alongside the boat, and then holding the boom in place, slide the block towards the boat and over the deck.
You could use a second purchase and walk the load along. I pulled my diesel engine out of the cabin and onto the dock using a second purchase on the boom a distance away from the main sheet and walked the engine along by pulling up on one then along on the other.
I don't like the idea of a track as the load could slide out of control. Two purchases works well both tied to the load.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 18:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'm in favour of Family Van's suggestion too. Just raise/lower the boom to move the load towards/away from the mast.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 18:59   #18

Adding weight to a boom adds energy to a jibe, so if you make the track strong enough to protect your boom from a bending failure, you may be adding risk to boat and crew in some circumstances.
Good luck.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 19:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Ever seen an old- pre hydraulic boom lift, like on a boom truck, or union purchase for handling cargo on an old ship? That's the principal they work on.

Hope I'm explaining myself well enough.
Yes I get the picture.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 21:21   #20

Not so easy to raise and lower the boom like a crane if you have a rigid vang. Even a rope vang would need a lot of line let out. Also your sail is likely on the boom and would be pushed against the mast. With a track you would probably need 20 or 30 tapped holes in the underside of the boom. It's a lot of work up from underneath getting them all to align with the holes in the track and one more place for SS aluminum corrosion.

Have a trial go with two purchases on a weight in your garden. Use cheap blocks and cord. Pull up on one. Then towards you with the other while slowly easing out the first one

As I mentioned I lifted my engine out of the cabin and on to the dock, and later reinstalled it that way by myself using the boom, main sheet and another lighter purchase a distance away on the boom. Easy peezy.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 18:43   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a block on a sliding track attached to the underside of the boom? Would this work?
OOOOOOOoooooooo!! My kind of stuff!

We have in-mast furling. That means that the boom has a big heavy roller car on a full length track for the outhaul. I use the topping lift or main halyard to the boom end to control height, free the outhaul so the car can run. swing the boom over my truck and use a spare 8-part tackle to hoist batteries to the boom, slide them to the cockpit and lower to the cabin floor. This was so successful even the admiral was impressed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 20:48   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Use the main halyard to lift the object, but run it through a snatch block at the end of a reefing line. The reefing line controls the in-out, the mainsheet and preventer control the side-to-side, and the halyard controls the height. There is no bending load on the boom, and I've used this method to hoist the engine out.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 04:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Use the main halyard to lift the object, but run it through a snatch block at the end of a reefing line. The reefing line controls the in-out, the mainsheet and preventer control the side-to-side, and the halyard controls the height. There is no bending load on the boom, and I've used this method to hoist the engine out.
That's an interesting solution. I like it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:14   #24

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

We use the "whisker pole" method on our Gulfstar M53 to lift a 450 lb (25 HP) center console RIB onto the foredeck (engine & all). She sits down onto removable hard-foam wedges. Works nicely with the 12v ATV winch I use to do the lifting. Had to beef up the pole mount with a stainless knuckle; the winch mounts on the base of the pole (another custom fabrication). Be happy to share photos (PM me) when I lift her back up on deck next month for the winter.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:14   #25

Boat: CSY/Gulfstar 50 "Rasta Mama"

Tm2

I have a Gulstar 50 and am thinking of lifting a center console rig on the foredeck using my spinnaker pole. I'd love to see photos of your on deck set up and lifting method.

Capnrasta

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
wagerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:08   #26

Cpnrasta,

Getting ready to lift our RIB on deck for winter...will photo/film it and post in the next few weeks. PM me if you'd like to talk sooner and I will provide direct contact info.

TMT2
Old 12-10-2015, 07:35   #27

Thanks TMT2

I look forward to it.

capnrasta
Old 12-10-2015, 08:38   #28

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

[QUOTE=cabo_sailor;1889863]In the past I've detached the motor at the stern using a motor hoist that is part of my wind generator pole. I then used my spinnaker halyard attached to a three point harness to lift the dinghy, a 10.5 ft Achiles, onto the foredeck.

we do the same...attach the spinnaker line right to the forward eye hook on the RIB and electric winch it up off the water like a fish, its easy for me to keep it off the boat while my wife pushes the button, then we lower it upside down on the foredeck, and head out in big water
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 20:11   #29

TMT2

Don't forget photos of your spinnaker pole dinghy crane arrangement...I'm dying to see it!

Capnrasta

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18   #30

Planning to film it this weekend...haven't forgotten about you.

TMT2