Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 11:17   #46

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Re: Using a Center Console as a Tender

We have an AVON 3.1 with a center console (CC) with a bench; a Yamaha 25HP 4-Stroke, battery, 10gal tank, bilge and battery - total package weighing in at around 600lbs. We love it for many of the reasons mentioned in this post string but it took some creative engineering and a lot of patient trial & error to make it work with our 53 ft Gulfstar Ketch. To get directly to your question - the CC is our preference for maneuverability and comfort when tripping to/from the anchorage - the weight distribution and driving comfort is much better especially when I operate it alone but I can put 5 people in it for a short trip or 3 people and a good bit of gear. As you may guess - an outboard that big can't be lifted onto a rack on the stern (175lbs) ruling out upside-down storage up front so I needed a beefy setup on the davits and the crane to lift the RIB as a complete package. I would never tow a RIB this size as it would be like dragging a drogue. In coastal areas, we keep her on the davits (Hydraulic, very sturdy, nice set up). On passage we crane her up on the foredeck (sitting upright) with the motor attached - sitting on a neat set of commercial high-compression foam cradles between the RIB and the deck that snap onto the foredeck and are easiliy removed and stowed. The arrangement did great on our recent open-water passage from Tampa to the Chesapeake. To crane the RIB up on the foredeck we use a spinnaker pole set up that I modified to serve both as a crane and for handling the Jib and Chutes. In "crane mode" we use an electric ATV winch (with remote) attached to the spinnaker pole to do the lifting and just swing the RIB up over the lifelines for launch or recovery from either side of the hull. I have actually done the launch and recovery single handed (calm weather) in about 30 mins but its much better/faster with two people. I scoured this forum and many others trying to find an idea that would help us keep a large RIB since the little hard dink and 2.5 Tohatsu was a bit wobbly and wouldn't plane...not much luck...so I gave it a shot myself and got lucky. I'll be happy to take some detailed photos and perhaps make a quick video in the near future and share our "discovery" if anyone's interested?

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
sv TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 20:27   #47
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Using a center console as a tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a 3.4 meter Avon RIB with wheel steering -- we call it a jockey console but I guess it's the same as what you're calling a center console.

This is a jockey console and I want one really bad. 2 hours of dinghy riding around islands gets to my back and wrist holding the tiller. Plus, I'd still be able to load dive gear around the outside of the console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tender.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	87303  
Old 29-08-2014, 04:43   #48

Boat: Able 50

Try sitting on the floor and use the tube as a backrest.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:51   #49
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Try sitting on the floor and use the tube as a backrest.
I'm too fat for that

Palarran has a pretty good 13' AB Aluminum with a 30hp Yamaha now. But I don't think you can convert a tiller outboard to a cable controlled one.
Old 29-08-2014, 05:07   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
. But I don't think you can convert a tiller outboard to a cable controlled one.
Yes you can. there are a couple of ways, I think the remote control may be harder though, and it may be cheaper to sell and buy, but the conversion can be done.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender