Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: how many times a year does your outboard stop working?
Never 80 57.14%
1 time a year 26 18.57%
2 times a year 15 10.71%
3 times a year 2 1.43%
4 or more times a year 17 12.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50   #91

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Honda 2hp 4 stroke. Always works. I've never done any maintenance in the two years I've owned it. Also, a single tank of gas lasts almost all season.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19   #92

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I have a 2006 Honda 9.9 with rope-pull and electric start. Great engine. The only time it failed was when the dinghy got caught under a dock and the engine swamped when the tide came in. Even then recovery was straightforward. Two years since without a failure. Great engine.

I suspect that aside from Honda's good engine to start with, some of my positive experience is due to running the engine regularly. The engine rarely goes more than two weeks without being run year round.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03   #93

Modern outboards are a joy. Anyone remember the British Seagulls?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44   #94

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
I didn't vote yet since I have a new outboard, Tohatsu 9.8. But with my older Honda 2hp 4 stroke I had many problems until I remembered to close the fuel valve and run the engine dry, I have been doing the same with the new engine and it starts on the first pull every time. I also add Stabil but I prefer to use fresh gas as often as possible taking the can with me when we leave.
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47   #95

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Honda 2hp 4 stroke. Always works. I've never done any maintenance in the two years I've owned it. Also, a single tank of gas lasts almost all season.
Oh come on, are you serious?

You must not use it a lot then? If I recall maybe 4 hours out of a tank on those engines? And no maintenance, change the engine oil, lower unit lube? You should change those even if you don't use it a 100 hours a year.
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 11:53   #96

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Outboards get more peculiar the longer you own them. PDQ 36s are powered exclusively by outboards, so I've run our old boat on its outboards a few thousand miles. What I've noticed is that filters were incredibly important, fuel water and then a particulate filter. After a while though, the carbs, especially with ethanol gas in the USA, make it harder and harder to start, even when professionally cleaned. The rule of thumb on the PDQs was to sell your 9.9 4 strokes after 1000 hours before maintenance became expensive.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 13:09   #97

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
My outboard is made of one 2X6 from the lumberyard. Never lets me down. Fuel is cheap. Keeps me healthy. Can't beat it.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 13:28   #98

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I have a 4hp Johnson 2 cycle made in Belgium. It starts everytime I think about using it. Maybe once every three or four months. I don't use old gas in it. I run the carb dry after each outing. I had difficulty starting it once but it did start after a few pulls. That was my error because I had sprayed it with too much freshwater and didn't get it dry enough before trying to start it again.

I also have a 1955 5hp Sabre Supreme (made by Gale). When I leave it for a couple of years I have to pop the flywheel off and clean up the points and rust. It starts and runs until one of the cylinder fouls so I have to clean the plug occasionally. Pretty nifty little outboard.

I can't imagine having to change an impellor every year. Just too much work.

regards,
Old 22-07-2010, 15:17   #99

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I wonder how many people who have voted for never having problems live outside areas where ethanol is mixed with petrol? I have two outboards, 15 and 40 hp, both 4 stroke Mariner brand with electric start. I've never had a single problem in the 18 months since I've owned them from new. Reading through the replies, it's the ethanol that's the devil in all this.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 15:50   #100

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
I have a Hiawatha that still runs - on its own terms! Probably about a 1950. Gas tank is integral and a real pain to fill especially if there is any ripple on the water - but I enjoy the styling and the mere fact that it still puts out its 4 HP when treated right.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:08   #101

For those of you in the US considering using any leaded AV-gas product in other than an aircraft, you need to be aware that Av-gas is currently considered an "excepted" fuel under the federal clean air and water acts. The EPA has the authority to assess fines of up to $25,000 for each infraction (read use) of an excepted Av-fuel in other than aircraft. Had a miserable experience at the airport when were checked and found to be using Av-gas in our ground support vehicles. We won't ever do that again!!
SAORDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:08   #102

Whats a good brand of fuel/water separator. (Petrol) I have seen them used on light aircraft and would like to get one for my boat.
I would like a funnel type that keeps the water out of the primary fuel tank.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:19   #103

I recently pulled a an old, very used 5hp Tohatsu out of my Dad's shed.
I think it's an 80's model. It had been sitting 10+ years.

I stuck it on my dinghy and gave it a try. Started third pull.

I ran it for ages on the tank of super old fuel. Ran fine, no issues.
handmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:28   #104

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Yes, British Seagulls. I've had a couple. They run if you treat them right. Remember, open the vent cap, turn on the fuel, choke the carb, then crank it. If it doesn't fire you did something wrong or you're out of gas. Smokes like crazy and leaves an oil sheen plus is very loud. 10 to 1 gas oil ratio. Very low compression and simple to work on if the nuts and bolts haven't frozen in place.
regards,
Old 23-07-2010, 04:40   #105

The Seagull Outboard can be relied on to discover weaknesses in the first mate's character - be she wife, mother, grandmother, cousin, lover or friend's lover! Or any other passing female that can be inveigled onto your boat!
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote