Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 14:01   #1

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Two Big Problems with Caribe 10 RIB

Picked up this dinghy real cheap from a cruiser at a local high-end YC who was unloading it to get out of town on last year's HaHa. Thankfully I didn't pay much for what it was as it was a speculative purchase:

- 1. Has no title, but has a copy of pre-purchase survey that proved it came with the boat when he bought it. Prior owner also had no title, claims purchase from a cruiser in MX. Bottom line, no title, do have notarized bill of sale, but a bit stymied on moving forward with registering it.

-2. WHen dinghy sits on the hard and it rains a lot, it leakss water into the rigid hull -- thus, there are cracks on the topside hull. WHen the dinghy floats in the water for a day (not raining), it gets water in it, thus there are cracks on the bottom. The plug and drain I replaced and they are watertight. So -- haven't done the leak detection work, but wondering overall -- if there are cracks top and bottom, is it going to even be worth repairing? How does one effectively address cracks in the hull of a RIB?

Lastly -- this dinghy is going to be too big for us when we leave, so would like to sell it between now and next summer -- but need to deal with the above issues first, unless someone here wants a very special project......PM me! Good deal, cheap!

Advice? :=)
Old 19-07-2009, 14:09   #2

Boat: Buizen 48
You are the first person I've ever heard of that has had problems with a Caribe, though I am sure you are not alone.

I looked at getting one and instead went with a 31.m Walker Bay Genesis, which I would recommend you consider once you get rid of your "lemon".

You are in the Bay area, so why not place an advert in Latitude 38, or contact them regarding the mnext "swap meeting" is in the Bay area? No need to take it with you, just a photo to attract people's attention.
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 14:25   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
In the past few years the reputation of Caribes has gone down a lot. It seems their quality has slipped. Many folks prefer the AB now.
Old 19-07-2009, 15:12   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Check the tow ring on the bow. This was where my last Carib was taking water.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 20:38   #5

Boat: Buizen 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
In the past few years the reputation of Caribes has gone down a lot. It seems their quality has slipped. Many folks prefer the AB now.
What's an AB?
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 21:16   #6

Boat: Hylas 47
PM me, I might be interested in it. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 06:21   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
What's an AB?
Artigiana Battelli, S.A.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:36   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
You may be in for a real headache regarding registration. It just depends on how strict your county is and possibly who's working there. What I find often helps is to explain the boat is from a place where registration was not required for it's use - i.e. - it has never been used with a motor before. My experience is that it often helps if the bill of sale states this.

I find stating what I need to do, often gets me farther than asking, especially when it comes to a state employee that is not familiar with those procedures.

Walking in and saying "I need to register a new boat I recently purchased. It has no previous registration and requires none, because it was not a registerable boat in it's previous location (state out of state location) as indicated on the bill of sale" and hand them the bill of sale while pulling out your pen and check book, usually works. Walking in and waiting for them to ask for the previous registration and then back stepping and asking what I should do usually results in them telling me they can't do anything without a previous registration.

Some places could care less about paperwork. They just want the tax and registration fees.

Sometimes, I just can't get a previously unregistered or incorrectly boat registered. I had one dinghy I never used the motor on in the U.S. for that reason and I've sold several canoes out of state for the same reason. One time, I almost sold a boat to someone in another state and had them sell it back to me, just to generate the necessary paper work.

While on the topic of registration, I'll also mention that home built boats usually do not need previous registration to register them yourself.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 06:40   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

AB, Caribe, AB, Caribe Both AB's are 10VL's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
What's an AB?
AB inflatables - Welcome

The 10VL is very popular. I've got one, second from right.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:49   #10

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I'll also recommend the 10' AB. I have one and it is a great little dink. Like most inflatables, It's rowing isn't all that great unless you have it pumped up Hard as possible.

Really don't like the Carib in the new Yellow... no dink should be that color!!!!
Old 20-07-2009, 08:55   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i traded my caribe for a roll up because of the problem with the hull leaking between inner and outer and boat weighing 900 pounds and unable to rid hull of the water--is a BIG problem. having been cruising on other peoples boats now more than twice, i find the roll up is more readily stowed by 1 person and my small engine is quite appropriate in anchorages as i am not able to make a wake to annoy anyone ... my roll up avon can be stowed and deployed by one person instead of 2-4, depending on weight of water inside hulls, and my engine is same---installable by one person without need for 4 stong men and a boy...lol.....gooood luck.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:16   #12

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Why would anyone attempt to "Lift" a RIB with inter hull full of water?

Three "standard" ways I have seen to fix the problem are:

Run it up on the beach and pull the plug to drain and repair if necessary.

Pull the plug while still in the water and plug in a flex hose connected to a bilge pump. I've see simple hand pumps use for this and

Unless the hole allowing water in is larger than what your pumping out you can empty enough to start the lift then just allow it to drain as you raise it. Even if the plug hole is under water... you will still drain the water that is higher in the between rib bottom spaces. If it is in the typical place which is as has already been stated the front painter fitting... by lifting only a few inches will start the effective draining. Speed of drain this way may be slow as the pressure release may be a small hole. This has been fixed by "adding" a forward plug often in the forward locker. They are not difficult to install if you have any working knowledge of fiberglass matting lay up.

I have also seen a person "blow" out water using a dive tank with regulator. Looked a bit spooky to me but they said the do it each year when they pull the dink at the end of the season.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:28   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Why would anyone attempt to "Lift" a RIB with inter hull full of water?

Three "standard" ways I have seen to fix the problem are:

Run it up on the beach and pull the plug to drain and repair if necessary.

Pull the plug while still in the water and plug in a flex hose connected to a bilge pump. I've see simple hand pumps use for this and

Unless the hole allowing water in is larger than what your pumping out you can empty enough to start the lift then just allow it to drain as you raise it. Even if the plug hole is under water... you will still drain the water that is higher in the between rib bottom spaces. If it is in the typical place which is as has already been stated the front painter fitting... by lifting only a few inches will start the effective draining. Speed of drain this way may be slow as the pressure release may be a small hole. This has been fixed by "adding" a forward plug often in the forward locker. They are not difficult to install if you have any working knowledge of fiberglass matting lay up.

I have also seen a person "blow" out water using a dive tank with regulator. Looked a bit spooky to me but they said the do it each year when they pull the dink at the end of the season.
1-the water gets in between the double hulls and is not see-able

2 hosing does not fit there--isnt a space for it as it isnt spozed to be leaky

3fiberglass doesnt stick to plastic--tried that

4 buy one and have fun like we did----is a reallllly gooood reason to buy a roll up!!!! and i love caribe boats----lol.....have owned 3. all of which did same thing-----and there isnt any way to get the water out by opening the drain while in water and if yopu can lift it onto a beach far enough to drain it after the water enters between the hulls, you take sterioids lol....

5 not everyone has dive equipment as not everyone with a boat is a diver--some of us are no0t allowed by the powers that be to put life and limb into danger as we are asthmatix with problems breathing the dry air in a tank....coughing is not a good thing to do underwater under any circumstances...lol.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 13:12   #14

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I have a similar problem on my Caribe but I believe it's due to an inside D ring and 4 through hull lifting pads for my davit slings. I leave the little between hull plug out and let it drain as I pick it up.

I have intended to re caulk all the penetrations in and through the hull but haven't done so yet. I have made fiberglass repairs to it however, and they're not difficult. I have a steering consul in mine which broke loose so I additionally propped it with tube and fittings, and I installed wheels on it. It's a heavy tender anyway and when I replace it I'll try to get something lighter.

Good Luck

Joe S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy and davits.JPG
Views:	1031
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	9024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy from Underneith.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	9025  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy, Davits and radar.JPG
Views:	1110
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	9026  
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 13:51   #15

Yea, the titling fiasco was new to me in florida after I bought a 10ft Caribe. I happened to still have the title and number boards from my previous state, from my previous Zodiac 10 air floor, so I just used those for four months until I headed to the Bahamas! There is usually a way though with the bureucrats, if one licensing office gives you trouble try another!... you'll often get a different result, or will have learned to change ONE WORD in your question and be OK! Often, they are happy to get money, but all too often they're just on a power trip...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib