Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 10:05   #1

Boat: WindJammer 34
To much dinghy?

Our Windjammer 34 came with a 9' row/sail dinghy which I am in the process of fixing up (Paint/Varnish/Hardware). I really like the dinghy and it really fits the traditional build of the mother ship. The problem I have is the weight and stability. It will just be the wife and I. I worry that it will be difficult to bring ashore as we explore or store when in port (not wanting to leave it in the water). Also I feel like since we are so new to boating/cruising the inflatables seem like they would be more stable.

So since it was such a good deal I purchased the hydro-force 10'10" at Costco on sale for $489 . I am planing on towing it permanently as we are just exploring around the Puget Sound. But now I am having second thought that it might be to large to tow. I was figuring the inflatable would be easier to manage on a weekend to weekend trip basis while the sail dinghy could be used for long trips. I am contemplating on whether I should keep the inflatable or return it. Seems like most people have dinghies less then 10'.

Does anyone have any experience with this dinghy or similar sized ones?
NW_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:17   #2

Re: To much dinghy?

If you plan to use the dinghy more than a couple times a year, go with the biggest that you can manage.
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:52   #3

Re: To much dinghy?

Towing a low cost inflatable will almost surely cause damage to it. Even high end dinghys take a beating being towed for any length of time. Good luck. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy