Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 13:34   #1

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter
Tiller Autopilots

Hi, folks,

I'm shopping for a tiller autopilot, and realized that the difference between the Raymarine ST 1000 and the ST 2000 is more than simply 'oomph'.

The lower powered one uses a lead screw actuator, and the beefier 2000 uses a ball screw activator.

According to Wikipedia, the later is more efficient, which seems a good characteristic for a device that is liable to be in use for extended periods, and as for the power, more is... well... more. (reference Ball screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Anyone have any insights about maintenance or durability of the two units?

Thanks
stu
master and slave to s/v Ripple
Old 15-10-2014, 14:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tiller Autopilots

Ball screw is what I think is in your cars steering box if you have that kind of steering, it's WAY more durable especially say for a truck where the loads are high, that alone would make my decision on which to buy.
I know nothing of either unit though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:00   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Tiller Autopilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartWeibel View Post
Hi, folks,

I'm shopping for a tiller autopilot, and realized that the difference between the Raymarine ST 1000 and the ST 2000 is more than simply 'oomph'.

The lower powered one uses a lead screw actuator, and the beefier 2000 uses a ball screw activator.

According to Wikipedia, the later is more efficient, which seems a good characteristic for a device that is liable to be in use for extended periods, and as for the power, more is... well... more. (reference Ball screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Anyone have any insights about maintenance or durability of the two units?

Thanks
stu
master and slave to s/v Ripple
We had the 1000 Tillerpilot on our Bristol 24 and loved it. It worked flawlessly. (But we only had it for 2 years so can't swear to the longevity.)

The Bristol was 6000 lbs. displacement.
Old 15-10-2014, 16:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Read Web Chiles logs on his 6th circumnavigation, especially his comments about the tiller pilot failures he has had. Some of his problems may have been caused because his boat is so wet but they haven't worked well for him.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:26   #5

Stu, you are correct in your analysis, which has been discussed many times before. The 2000 is a much better unit for anything but the smallest boat in more sheltered conditions.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:30   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

A lot depends too on how well balanced your rudder is. Even a small boat with a poorly balanced rudder can exert too heavy a load for the 1000. Likewise, a beautifully balanced rudder on 35-footer might do fine with the 1000. We've used a 1000 on our 31-footer for years now with no trouble. But probably best to err on the side of caution and go for the 2000.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Somewhere on this site from some years back is a thread about covers made to keep the tiller autopilot dry and shielded from UV damage. It was a waterproof case with a clear plastic window over the controls and a flap that was kept closed by velcro until the helmsman needed to see the control panel. I don't remember any other details but the poster/s on that thread felt it kept the autopilot dry and happy. One other thing I would suggest is to make sure the connector is in a dry location. I don't remember any other details.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 18:42   #8

Boat: Cal 2-27

We have the Simrad version and love it. We looked around for a cover and had little luck sourcing one though.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 19:02   #9

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I had the St1000 on a 20 footer. It was great but it was working too hard to maintain a perfect course until I found the "chill" setting. After that it was faultless but I did put a small sunbrella cover on it after reading about water ingress problems, just in case.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-10-2014, 19:08   #10

My C&C 27 had an old TillerMaster with Wheel conversion. I bought a used Simrad TP-10 and married it to the TillerMaster conversion kit. Works like a charm.
SunnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 19:25   #11

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
We have the Simrad version and love it. We looked around for a cover and had little luck sourcing one though.
We have a Simrad TP-30 and a pair of the newer TP-32s. I sewed a white cover from vinyl coated polyester that fits the one that is in use. The tillerpilots are black, and in the Bahama sun (or for that matter in the summer Carolina sun) they overheat and become erratic. A white cover or an old damp towel tossed on top keeps them cooler and prevents that. The sewn cover gives a bit of added protection from the stray bit of water that occasionally comes over the rail.

Any sailmaker (or really anyone with a sewing machine) could make you one in less than an hour.

Our tillerpilot is mounted closer to the rudder post than is recommended giving the tillerpilot a real workout. In ten years we have worn out two ball lead screws. They make increasing amounts of noise as they go.

The autopilots steer the boat 90+ percent of the time we are underway away from land. In the March 27, 2014 entry in my wife's blog you can see one of them steering the boat as we begin to work on a freshly caught fish.

Irish Eyes to the Bahamas: March 2014
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 19:32   #12

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We have a Simrad TP-30 and a pair of the newer TP-32s. I sewed a white cover from vinyl coated polyester that fits the one that is in use. The tillerpilots are black, and in the Bahama sun (or for that matter in the summer Carolina sun) they overheat and become erratic. A white cover or an old damp towel tossed on top keeps them cooler and prevents that. The sewn cover gives a bit of added protection from the stray bit of water that occasionally comes over the rail.

Any sailmaker (or really anyone with a sewing machine) could make you one in less than an hour.

Our tillerpilot is mounted closer to the rudder post than is recommended giving the tillerpilot a real workout. In ten years we have worn out two ball lead screws. They make increasing amounts of noise as they go.

The autopilots steer the boat 90+ percent of the time we are underway away from land. In the March 27, 2014 entry in my wife's blog you can see one of them steering the boat as we begin to work on a freshly caught fish.

Irish Eyes to the Bahamas: March 2014
Entertainingly enough, when I reached out to a number of local boating canvas companies, and sail lofts, none of them had any clue what I was talking about.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 07:42   #13

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

Thanks to all who responded to my query. I'll be going with the beefier 2000, I think, and will be making a cover for it as well.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:32   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
One other thing I would suggest is to make sure the connector is in a dry location.
Or at least fill it with silicone grease.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:05   #15

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Had a 1000 but it busted after four years. Bought a 2000 and it works like a 20 dollar mule on my 27 Ft Catalina. Also interfaced it with my Garmin GPS. With a 1000 you can't do that or at least I couldn't do it. I've never had a problem with the 2000 through wind and rain and dark of night; it has always come through.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot