Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 07:47   #61

Re: The most popular dinghy size

I like AB also Carribe. Both older now but still many around. Have had an AB 3.2 with a 15 2stroke. And the Carribe a 3.6 with 25 2 stroke. If I had a choice I would have had aluminum. But never had much problem with the grp
As an avid scuba diver a good planning dingy is important to me.
I can’t see punishing an inflateable with a 4 stroke. Just too heavy. And not as dependable or easy to work on. I bought a very nice used Yamaha 15 2 stroke and also a 25 2stroke electric start. Both very good motors.

When cruising foreign I buy new Yamaha Enduros. Great engines too.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 08:09   #62

Boat: Columbia 50, Full Cutter rigged

But is there really such a thing as "Most popular size" when it comes to the tender ?
Magnolia came with a 10 ft Zodiac which we abandoned almost immediately; reasons will not be gotten into here.
Then went to a 6 ft little thing. Didn't tow well, too heavy for its size. Way too small for our needs.
Tender Needs;
What are your needs for your tender? I mean, beyond just getting to shore while at anchor?
For instance I needed something large and comfortable enough to shuttle guest passengers to and from the mother ship.
Also often times would far rather use the tender for supply runs and grocery trips, rather than drive.
As liveaboards it's really nice to have a tender that offers enough to be able to take it out on just a little day cruise, or a picnic meal someplace nearby; Much faster and easier than prepping and maneuvering a 50 ft S/V out of her slip just for a few hours. Like to save that for longer trips out. Even if we are out, and we just want to get off board Magnolia for a while doing the same?
What if you want to go out fishing? Or clamming, oyster picking? Or any other wild foods gathering? For all of these things, I just like something a little larger and not as nice as a beautiful inflatable. I'm NOT knocking smaller inflatables; I love 'em! I'm sure we'll be using one for long term cruising coming up here soon enough.
For now though what I really love is my old 1961 14 ft Larson...
LOL
Works beautifully for ALL my needs!
I put a 20hp Yamaha on 'er with a whale tail so she planes just fine.
Could I tow this to Hawaii? Hell no...
Sure can't hang it from davits off the transom either...
If we absolutely had to we could hoist the thing up with the boom and set 'er on deck.
But I'm not about to do that; And If I ever catch the poor soul who does...It won't be civil.
But she tows real nice in "just about" any weather and doesn't slow us down at all.
We've achieved hull speed of 8.5 knts. under wind alone towing this grubby little thing.
I have no idea how much that thing weighs but it's not exactly light.
I love my little Larson 14' and will be saddened when the day comes I have to leave her behind. Day w/ SV Magnolia.
SV Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 08:55   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
What do you think would be the all-time ever most popular tender size?

I was thinking maybe 2.5 or 2.7m...?

There's so many options now and I notice so many are coming out with aluminium hulls. Aside from them possibly being lighter weight, I'm really not sure what the pro's of aluminium are... would love to hear from the experts?
I recently updated to a Highfield CL340 (11'2") with a 25HP Yamaha, my needs were for four people on plain easily. I went with PVC (I like the welded seams as opposed to glued), I am getting chaps made for it and this will provide me with similar protection the hypalon offers from the sun, with a bit of savings.
Lots of room and storage, handles great.
Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 09:38   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
What do you think would be the all-time ever most popular tender size?

I was thinking maybe 2.5 or 2.7m...?

There's so many options now and I notice so many are coming out with aluminium hulls. Aside from them possibly being lighter weight, I'm really not sure what the pro's of aluminium are... would love to hear from the experts?
I think what you are really asking is what is the right size dinghy. That is really about what is your need. Are you just using it to go to and from your boat on a mooring. Then it doesn’t really matter. A paddle board could work. If you are living on your boat and cruising of the time then the bigger the better. Why? Your dinghy becomes your vehicle to get groceries, take laundry to and from the boat, to explore areas not necessarily good to take the boat, etc.

Another consideration is the bigger the dinghy the bigger the motor. That means how are you going to lift it out of the water? Davits, outboard Crain, etc.

My last few boats have been Trimarans. So 8 1/2 ft are perfect because I can easily drag it up on one of the davits or use a whisker pole to get it on deck. The ones I like are the new catamaran dinghies like the Takatas out of NZ. Very stable flat bottom and you can put a very small motor on it. The small motor is easy to handle.

If I had say a 38’ monohull I would have davits and an Outboard Crain. Then I could have a 9 1/2ft RIB with an aluminum hull. A 9.9hp or a 15hp outboard.

The other thing to consider is how much are you going to use it and where. If you are in the tropics you will definitely not want a boat made with PVC. If you are using it up and down the coast during summer months then PVC is fine.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 11:25   #65

Boat: Tartan 40
The most popular dinghy size

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
....I can’t see punishing an inflateable with a 4 stroke. Just too heavy. And not as dependable or easy to work on. I bought a very nice used Yamaha 15 2 stroke and also a 25 2stroke electric start. Both very good motors.

When cruising foreign I buy new Yamaha Enduros. Great engines too.

I don’t question Enduros and their durability. But the rest of that info may be somewhat outdated. For example my Tohatsu 15 hp 4 stroke EFI weighs 94 lbs which is not much more than the Enduro at 86 lbs.
And in addition it’s quieter, more fuel efficient, and environmentally cleaner.
Finally, the electronic fuel injection technology removes carbeurator issues. It’s been flawless for 3 years so far. No battery needed
Yes you can take apart a carb. But there’s probably a reason every car uses EFI rather than carb for fuel injection now.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:17   #66

Boat: Tartan 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Nested or assembled[emoji16]Attachment 237056
Hey! That looks like a Chameleon by Danny Greene (I built one many moons ago). If not, what is it?
blcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:13   #67

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcote View Post
Hey! That looks like a Chameleon by Danny Greene (I built one many moons ago). If not, what is it?

It is a Chameleon. Luv in it.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:18   #68

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I don’t question Enduros and their durability. But the rest of that info may be somewhat outdated. For example my Tohatsu 15 hp 4 stroke EFI weighs 94 lbs which is not much more than the Enduro at 86 lbs.
And in addition it’s quieter, more fuel efficient, and environmentally cleaner.
Finally, the electronic fuel injection technology removes carbeurator issues. It’s been flawless for 3 years so far. No battery needed
Yes you can take apart a carb. But there’s probably a reason every car uses EFI rather than carb for fuel injection now.

My 3 horse weighs 28 pounds and planes my nesting dink ;-)
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, size