Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 01:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Suzuki Small Outboards?

My 8hp Selva outboard seems to be scrap. I doubt it had 200 hours on it -- it was like new.

I couldn't get the lower unit off to change the impeller. After trying everything, I took it to a seasoned pro in Scotland. He said the shaft is virtually welded into the power head. He said -- that's what happens when you leave them lying on their sides for long periods. But I never laid this motor on its side for even 10 minutes. No more Selva for me! And in future I will take the lower unit off every year and grease it.

So now I have to buy a new outboard.

I like the Suzuki 6 which weighs only 23 kg. It is more expensive than the Tohatsu 6, but weighs 5 kg less -- a significant difference when you're manhandling these around. My Selva was 27kg and it was barely possible to haul it around by hand.

The Selva was actually 7.5hp and so a 6 will be 1.5hp difference. I don't much like giving up the power -- now I probably won't be able to plane 2 up. But I think the weight is a more important value, and other than Selva, there are not four stroke 8's which are not even heavier than 27kg which I think is my limit.

Anyone have experience of the little Suzuki? I've heard mixed things about them, and I am somewhat concerned that the light weight may be associated with overly flimsy parts like the Selva.

Grateful as always for any advice!

Quite amazingly, a local guy here in Scotland offered to LOAN us an outboard for the summer. Someone we'd only known for 15 minutes! Really nice! But I decided not to accept that generous offer. I think I'm just going to buy a new motor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 01:36   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Suzuki Small Outboards?

While this doesn't address your direct question, it may be of interest as far as Suzuki goes.

I have a 2Hp Suzuki about 24 years old. It doesn't have a lot of hours as it sat idle for around 18 years. It has been submerged once about 20 years back and at that time I gave it some new (after market) roller bearings - this was a few months after it had been submerged.

6 years ago I gave it a birthday present with a new impeller, new spark plug and oil in the leg. It all came apart with out any difficulty and it still starts first pull.

If a modern Suzuki is half as good as this old one, you will be very happy (IMO).

FWIW, I agree that weight trumps most things when it comes to dinghy motors.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 04:23   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We had a Suzuki 5-hp 2-stroke, badged by Johnson, and it worked well... except for times when I let ethanol-mix gasoline stay in the tank unused for too long. That gasoline mixture is pretty much the only game in town around here, but you likely wouldn't have that issue to deal with... and in any case, pro-active recycling of gas from the tank solved it well enough.

FWIW, our current outboard is a slightly larger 4-stroke, not applicable to your requirements, but it works fine... so that says to me the brand seems viable.

-Chris
Old 17-06-2018, 06:24   #4
cruiser

I purchased a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke just the other day for under $800 which was in almost new condition. It’s my firm belief that your dinghy/motor combination should always be able to perform towboat duty should the need arise. Our plan is to upgrade to a 25hp asap not downgrade to a 5-6hp.

Our dinghy Flo saved the mothership twice last season, so the need does arise on occasion, even if it’s only to rush back at planing speed to stop something seen at a distance. The Mercury weighs only 41kg.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 07:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Suzuki Small Outboards?

I’d say if your dropping power enough to not plane, go on ahead and go small, really small, as is 2.5 HP Zuki and enjoy the weight savings.
If you can’t plane I’m not sure a 6 hp is going to push you much faster than a 2.5.
I eventually plan on a 2.5 myself for when we are in mooring fields etc and planing is not an option. I’m not normally a Suzuki fan, always thought of them for people who couldn’t afford a Yamaha or a Mercury.
However this 20 HP that I have had for going on four years now has been flawless, and I got stupid and sank it in 5 feet of water for about 10 min too, and after flushing it out, it has done well, really well.
When I got it, I sprayed everything with Corrosion-X and the only corrosion on the whole motor was on a couple of fuel hose clamps, there is NO corrosion anywhere else. There are a lot of plastic parts, but they seem to be the fiber reinforced injection molded tough plastic if you will, and I think it was done for weight savings, not $$.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 07:49   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I purchased a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke just the other day for under $800 which was in almost new condition. It’s my firm belief that your dinghy/motor combination should always be able to perform towboat duty should the need arise. Our plan is to upgrade to a 25hp asap not downgrade to a 5-6hp.

Our dinghy Flo saved the mothership twice last season, so the need does arise on occasion, even if it’s only to rush back at planing speed to stop something seen at a distance. The Mercury weighs only 41kg.
Yes, I'm very sad to lose the towboat capability. The previous dinghy with 25hp wheel steered was fantastic for this.

But something had to give with all the rough open sea miles I do, so I had to sacrifice all the great things of having a large powerful RIB. It's worth it in this case.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 17-06-2018, 07:53   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’d say if your dropping power enough to not plane, go on ahead and go small, really small, as is 2.5 HP Zuki and enjoy the weight savings.
If you can’t plane I’m not sure a 5 hp is going to push you much faster than a 2.5.
I eventually plan on a 2.5 myself for when we are in mooring fields etc and planing is not an option. I’m not normally a Suzuki fan, always thought of them for people who couldn’t afford a Yamaha or a Mercury.
However this 20 HP that I have had for going on four years now has been flawless, and I got stupid and sank it in 5 feet of water for about 10 min too, and after flushing it out, it has done well, really well.
When I got it, I sprayed everything with Corrosion-X and the only corrosion on the whole motor was on a couple of fuel hose clamps, there is NO corrosion anywhere else. There are a lot of plastic parts, but they seem to be the fiber reinforced injection molded tough plastic if you will, and I think it was done for weight savings, not $$.
I thought about that, but if I were going to go all the way to 2.5, I might just go Torqeedo.

I am hoping that 6hp will be enough to plane at least with me on board, and will be plenty of power to get up against a certain amount of wind and sea, which is something I have to do sometimes.

On my Dad's boat we eventually went from a 15hp to a 5hp on the air floor dinghy and it was worth it even with some of the long dinghy rides we used to make.

A large powerful wheel steered RIB is a fantastic thing to have on board, but I don't think it's realistic for ocean sailors unless you have a catamaran or you have a big enough boat with enough deck space that you can crane it up on deck.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-06-2018, 07:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Either way, it seems to me that the Suzuki four strokes are well made, out of quality materials.
They are not Japanese, or at least mine isn’t, it’s Malaysian or similar I think.
Not a dig, just meant that you don’t have to have Japanese to have quality is all.
Old 17-06-2018, 08:23   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I thought about that, but if I were going to go all the way to 2.5, I might just go Torqeedo.

I am hoping that 6hp will be enough to plane at least with me on board, and will be plenty of power to get up against a certain amount of wind and sea, which is something I have to do sometimes.

On my Dad's boat we eventually went from a 15hp to a 5hp on the air floor dinghy and it was worth it even with some of the long dinghy rides we used to make.

A large powerful wheel steered RIB is a fantastic thing to have on board, but I don't think it's realistic for ocean sailors unless you have a catamaran or you have a big enough boat with enough deck space that you can crane it up on deck.
We have a 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke with an aluminum RIB. We can plane with 2 non-fat adults (sadly, this doesn't include me). It planes easily with one person (even fat).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 08:28   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There were or are some problems with the very small 2.5hp suzi's and the tiny jets they have to meet the latest emmissions.

If you are going to buy a new one and the dealer is friendly, then for the asking price ask him to strip the leg off and grease the drive shaft and gearbox leg bolts. That way in a year or two you can take it apart again.

Also will he sell it to you as an export? That would save 20% VAT of the new cost.

Your point about weight is quite valid. We have just retired and sold off a Johnson 3.5hp 2 stroke after 14 years. Shame you could have borrowed it a month ago. That would just plane a 2.7m flat bottomed dinghy with me in it. This has now been replaced with a Honda 2.3hp. Why? well because I can clime up the transom and on to the boat with the engine in one hand.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suzuki Small Outboards?

Tiny carburetor jets. The Honda weed wacker engine on this things carburetor is about the size of my thumb, for years I ran it off of Avgas and it ran fine, it would often sit for months between each use.
Now I’m running it off of Marine alcohol free fuel so far with no issue and wondering whether to take it on the boat or not, it still folds.
But I have run a Honda generator as do many without issue, so hope the trick is alcohol free fuel and Sta-bil.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	171906
Old 19-06-2018, 20:31   #12

Boat: 31ft tank

I have the newest version of the Suzuki DF6a. I can not fault it at all. The previous df6 had a few niggles that have been ironed out with the new model. The in built tank is a great feature.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 20:54   #13

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I know of a few Suzuki 2.5 owners that are very happy with their engines. One has a lot of hours on it and never had any problems. I have a Honda 2 and a Tohatsu 4 and am happy with both. There is a BIG difference in weight between the two and I'd chose a Suzuki 2.5 for a dinghy because of the light weight and easy handling. Hondas are more expensive in the US and I don't think they are any better than the others. Don't even think about an electric motor.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard