Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 04:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Suzuki DF20A corrosion

OK, its minor stuff and easily corrected, but I think maybe could cause some issues if left un-corrected. During yearly maintenance I found two badly corroded clamps, one to the fuel line and one to the leg on the motor that has cooling water flow through it.

Odd thing is there are many of these little clamps on the engine and only these two had any corrosion, and they both were badly corroded. There was NO other corrosion on the engine at all after two years, but I do keep it coated with Corrosion -X.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:10   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Suzuki DF20A corrosion

Odd that they would use non-stainless (or poor quality SS) clamps. Otherwise, are you happy with your Suzuki?

I'm selecting now between a Suzuki 15, a Yamaha 15, and a Suzuki 30.

I had a Honda 15 until this morning when, while others were moving my boat for me, the lost the dinghy motor was lost.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Other than those penny clamps, I have had no issues or corrosion, and they are easy to access and simple to replace.
Why the 15? 15 and 20 are identical, except for software I believe, meaning the 20 weighs no more than the 15, but of course makes 5 more HP.

So far been real happy with the thing, never heard of anyone having a problem, yet.

I was leery of electronic fuel injection on a salt water outboard, and would rather have a carb, except that is seemingly the source of 99% of the problems now days. I'd sort of rather have a 2 stroke too, as I grew up with them and am familiar, but this four stroke has really impressed me, dead quiet, so quiet if your not careful you will forget and leave it running. I did that once for a couple of hours, then sitting in the cockpit later in the day I heard water splashing, looked down and it was the pee tube from the engine making the noise, couldn't even hear the engine.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27   #4

Thanks for the quick reply.

Like you, I would be inclined to get a carb that I could service -- but then again I just replaced the carb in the Honda, so maybe it would be better not to have that point of failure at all.

The 20 isn't an option for me -- the only ones in stock on the island are Suz 15, 30 and Yam15. I'm considering the 30 because my dinghy (Gemini 380) can handle it and sometimes with 4-5 people, the 15hp isn't enough to get on plane.
Old 10-02-2016, 18:23   #5

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

I've had the df20 for a year of hard use and it didn't have one issue, (other than me trying to run it on water) I cleaned the injectors and it runs like a champ. The push button start is sweet as well. No breaking shoulders for me....

Sent from my SM-P550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:45   #6

Boat: Hunter 44ds

Hey all,

I have a 9'2" Dinghy which is rated for 110lb motor, but recommended 10hp.

I looked at the Suzuki 9.9HP with EFI, which is probably the same engine as the DF15, and DF20 because its weighs 97lbs. So im considering spending the $300 more and getting the DF20 and thus overpowering the dink. The dink will be used by adults, so i figure we can avoid going WOT in bad moments and hurting ourselves, but it will be nice to have all that power on tap incase we need to do rescue missions or getting places quickly.

Aside from liability and warranty issues, what do you think about overpowering the dinghy like this?
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess I grew up where it was common for Bass boats etc to be WAY over motored, you didn't have a real boat unless you had 100 more than the Placarded motor.

The HP is a recommendation and to my understanding that is all, as far as liability, I don't see what you would be liable for, but who knows, if someone wants to sue you , I guess they will find a way.

I have a brain, I use this brain to tell me to not intentionally sail into named storms and a few other things, I also use the brain to tell me I don't need to go 35 kts in my dinghy, so I don't. It has a throttle after all.
I had a motorcycle that had a 300 KPH top end, I didn't try that on the interstate, wife's car will exceed 150 MPH too, but we don't.
I know my 20 HP Suzuki at half throttle will run a very long time on 1 gl of gas, this is I believe because at partial throttle it goes into "lean burn" mode and sips fuel, plus at half throttle you literally can't hear it over the wind noise, vibration is low etc.
I'd rather run a 20 at half throttle than a 9.9 hard.

I'm sure if you wanted to that limiting it to half throttle mechanically would be easy, say if you had a kid that you wanted to use it or something
Old 21-04-2016, 14:24   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
So im considering spending the $300 more and getting the DF20 and thus overpowering the dink. The dink will be used by adults, so i figure we can avoid going WOT in bad moments and hurting ourselves, but it will be nice to have all that power on tap incase we need to do rescue missions or getting places quickly.

Aside from liability and warranty issues, what do you think about overpowering the dinghy like this?

We've got a DF15A on ours, and I can say it runs the boat like a scalded cat. Took me by surprise... although I guess I'm not sure I'm really an adult yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The HP is a recommendation and to my understanding that is all, as far as liability, I don't see what you would be liable for, but who knows, if someone wants to sue you , I guess they will find a way.

I'm not really sure what legal issues may accompany the max passenger/max engine/max weight plate on the boat...

But I'd guess it could become a point of discussion if one were to have to admit to the judge "Yeah, I ignored it..."

-Chris
Old 21-04-2016, 15:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
Hey all,

I have a 9'2" Dinghy which is rated for 110lb motor, but recommended 10hp.

I looked at the Suzuki 9.9HP with EFI, which is probably the same engine as the DF15, and DF20 because its weighs 97lbs. So im considering spending the $300 more and getting the DF20 and thus overpowering the dink. The dink will be used by adults, so i figure we can avoid going WOT in bad moments and hurting ourselves, but it will be nice to have all that power on tap incase we need to do rescue missions or getting places quickly.

Two months ago I got the Suzuki 15 to replace a Honda 15 that failed its swimming test. This is on a Gemini 380(3.8meter) RIB.

I find that the Suzuki is much easier starting, and seems to be more fuel efficient. It also has much more harshness and vibration and doesn't seem quite as fast as the Honda. Now that I have it, for $300, I'd have gotten the 20 instead. You don't have to run it wide-open-throttle when it isn't safe to do so.
Old 21-04-2016, 15:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suzuki DF20A corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We've got a DF15A on ours, and I can say it runs the boat like a scalded cat. Took me by surprise... although I guess I'm not sure I'm really an adult yet...

I'm not really sure what legal issues may accompany the max passenger/max engine/max weight plate on the boat...

But I'd guess it could become a point of discussion if one were to have to admit to the judge "Yeah, I ignored it..."

-Chris

What Judge?

Of course do what you feel comfortable with, but I can't imagine a circumstance that I'm standing before a Judge and the reason I'm there is my motor on my dinghy exceeded the placard limit.
Now weight and passenger capacity, unless I'm wrong that is regulatory, you not allowed to exceed passenger limit, or I don't think you are anyway.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2016, 17:36   #11

Boat: PT-11

Do you think those 28' center console boats with 1600 hp in 4 engines on the back are rated for that?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:17   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What Judge?

Of course do what you feel comfortable with, but I can't imagine a circumstance that I'm standing before a Judge and the reason I'm there is my motor on my dinghy exceeded the placard limit.
Now weight and passenger capacity, unless I'm wrong that is regulatory, you not allowed to exceed passenger limit, or I don't think you are anyway.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You may be a defendant explaining to the judge and jury that ignoring the HP recommendation (as noted on the USCG accident investigation) from the manufacturer of your boat could not have contributed to the accident that killed the plaintiff's child.

Oh, you may want to check your insurance policy also, it may be void.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 19:08   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm thinking buy the 20 and get a 9.9 sticker from the dealer for the cowl.

Tags
corrosion