Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2016, 18:10   #16

Re: Suzuki DF15 / 20A owners HELP PLEASE!

My dealer got a response from Suzuki today(totally surprised me!!! )
he said he compared an engine they had to the sound of mine and it was the same.
he also said he has had this complaint before and that the noise seems to be the way it is with this series of motors.
he said I should send a video of the noise with the engine cover on so he can listen to that.
I can not hear enough on the youtube video to see if it sounds like mine at speed, but I know the noise when travelling at up to 2/3 throttle is a high pitched gear whine type noise that I find very annoying.
I guess that is why you should always test drive stuff.
one of the main reasons I bought this motor was that they were touted as one of the quietest outboards made, maybe with regards to exhaust noise they are but I would love to put a db meter near mine.
had I known about the noise and vibration I would have opted for a Honda.
live and learn!!!
I would still appreciate feedback from other owners who can remove their engine cover and compare their motor sounds to mine on the video as I will never know if Suzuki is telling the truth or not.
mtnbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 19:09   #17

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

I have had mine (20hp) for about 3 or 4 years now. It's super quiet at idle but makes the noise at rpm you describe. It also suffers from vibration. I had the 20hp Honda previously and it was a smoother engine for sure. But I like the price, the weight, and the fuel economy of the Suzuki. I have had no problems with the motor and have grown accustomed to the noise and vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:45   #18

So as an update to this thread

I have had the DF 20 back to the Suzuki dealer and they have ran it for two hours in the test tank did diagnostics on it and compared it running to IDF 15 they had in stock

They can find nothing wrong with it and I made a request to return it for a refund as in my lightweight higfield 12ft aluminum rib the vibration at speeds I use it at and the whine at cruising speed's is very annoying
It is interesting to note that the whine gets much louder after the gear lube in the leg has had a chance to warm up and as I am currently running it and 60°F water

It seems a lot of the information on forms about the DF 20 comes from users who have switched from a two-stroke to a four stroke in which case the DF 20 would indeed seem like a very quiet outboard I will know in a week or so what is the Suzuki Canada has reply will be and I will update this post

I will also at that time try to post a video of the engine noise at speed in my boat
Old 31-10-2016, 12:04   #19

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks for the update. I hope you get your money back.

We belong to the group of which you spoke; having upgraded from a two stroke to a four stroke. Your observations regards this group are spot on, speaking for myself. I'm happier with the less noisy Suzuki than I was with my previous two stroke engine.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:22   #20

I certainly believe you are hearing it, it just might be the combination of the lightweight hull/design and the outboards natural vibration causing a harmonic of sorts. I have mine on a fiberglass rib which would have a different frequency as well as better dampening properties.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbowhunter View Post
So as an update to this thread

I have had the DF 20 back to the Suzuki dealer and they have ran it for two hours in the test tank did diagnostics on it and compared it running to IDF 15 they had in stock

They can find nothing wrong with it and I made a request to return it for a refund as in my lightweight higfield 12ft aluminum rib the vibration at speeds I use it at and the whine at cruising speed's is very annoying
It is interesting to note that the whine gets much louder after the gear lube in the leg has had a chance to warm up and as I am currently running it and 60°F water

It seems a lot of the information on forms about the DF 20 comes from users who have switched from a two-stroke to a four stroke in which case the DF 20 would indeed seem like a very quiet outboard I will know in a week or so what is the Suzuki Canada has reply will be and I will update this post

I will also at that time try to post a video of the engine noise at speed in my boat
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 18:54   #21

a couple more videos to show the noise and whine of the df20 both in neutral at idle and just above idle and then in gear up to 1/2 throttle
Old 06-11-2016, 18:58   #22

maybe the videos will show up this time!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:13   #23

df20 noise & vibrationabove idle.mp4

df20 at speed whine.mp4

maybe this time???
Old 09-11-2016, 10:21   #24

one more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:25   #25

does anybody have any ideas why this time I can not get my videos to post /attatch but they worked before??
I have tried both the post video box on the reply link as well as the attatchment window and uploaded the files there but they do not seem to post?????
none of the videos are very large mb wise!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:30   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

How about hosting them on Vimeo or similar and just posting a link?
I have a gut feeling though that your engine noise is normal, but being amplified by your boat.
I took ours out for likely its last cruise this year and paid attention, there is a noticeable gear whine even in neutral, but it isn't annoying, sort of reminds me of the noise an old Kawasaki 900 made with its straight cut gears
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 18:37   #27

HI GANG
PLEASE go to vimeo.com and search" Suzuki df20 and it will pull up my 2 good videos on the 2 noise issues I am talking about
Old 10-11-2016, 19:47   #28

again
Old 11-11-2016, 08:34   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suzuki DF15 / 20A owners HELP PLEASE!

OK other people listen, I hear a little gear whine, maybe what this thing uses to drive the cam I don't know but don't hear anything to worry about

https://vimeo.com/190965817

https://vimeo.com/190966463
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suzuki DF15 / 20A owners HELP PLEASE!

Got through listening again, I would say in my opinion it sounds exactly like mine, listening on an Ipads speakers

Tags
lease