Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45   #1

Boat: Bristol 30
Speed with honda 2hp

I have an oldschool BF2A that has been dead relaible for me. I've played around with 2 tenders so far. One is Portabote, 10 ft model. This one did well, reliably getting 4.5kts with passengers, sometimes hitting 5kts when I'm alone. Steered well and tracked well. The problem was that my Bristol 30 has no space for this boat. It'd take up the whole side deck, and the whole quarterberth with its seats and hardware.

The other one was the sea eagle SE8. This one was nice because newbie passengers can stand anywhere and not feel like it was going to tip over. I can also haul a lot of stuff in it. But the speed was miserable. 3.5kts at most. It'd also flex over waves and the motormount section looked like it was straining. I hated it.

I'm looking at a few options - Zodiac and Avon roll up slat floors. They seem much quicker to deploy - unroll transom, inflate, install seat and go. This is an important trait for me than comfort. However, how slow are these boats going to be with a 2hp motor? If I can hit 4.5kts with me and a small girl in it, I'll be happy.

If not, the other option I'm looking at is a sea eagle paddleski. I'm excited about hitting 6kts (reaching my sailboat top speeds) but it'll be harder to deploy, take up a lot of room while deploying, and be a wet ride.

Any input? THanks in advance.

Tags
honda