Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 17:37   #61

Boat: St Francis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to rescher
Re: Spare nuts, bolts and screws

Thanks. Very helpful.
rescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 17:44   #62

Boat: St Francis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to rescher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
If you keep a dremel (or equivalent) on board you can minimize your inventory by buying all your bolts and screws in 4" lengths (or whatever you think is longest you will likely need) and cutting them to size when you need them.

I like this. Great idea. Thanks.
rescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 21:00   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Originally Posted by wyb2
If you keep a dremel (or equivalent) on board you can minimize your inventory by buying all your bolts and screws in 4" lengths (or whatever you think is longest you will likely need) and cutting them to size when you need them.

I dunno about where you are, but here in Oz the prices for 4 inch screws in s/s (if available at all) are WAY higher than the shorter lengths that one typically needs. The above practice is pretty costly if you want to keep a useful stock around.

For those of us who spend time well away from any vendor, on board stocks of hardware items are kinda essential. The gradual segue from inch to metric sizes, compounded with some differences between British standard and UNC/UNF means that we carry several kg worth of s/s nuts and bolts, screws, washers and other bits... and still sometimes find our stocks wanting. But what a joy when you actually find exactly the size and number that you suddenly need... almost makes up for the times you don't!

Jim
Old 19-08-2017, 03:41   #64

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

On Board Flying Pig, we call it "Dad's Hardware Store"

My apologies for not having the original easily to hand to upload, but if you click the link, you'll go to my gallery (the one in the sig line) picture that's relevant:

Pictures: Flying Pig Interiors

The red rope lighting is on the underside of the mirror which drops down to keep all the bins from opening on a port tack, and lights when you raise it via a bullet switch:

Pictures: Flying Pig Interiors

Like others here, if I believe I'm going to need several, and have the potential for several projects, I buy a box of 100...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29   #65

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

This thread has listed a few "favorite suppliers" and I'd like to chime in with mine -- albanycountyfasteners.com-- that has a great selection, great prices, and no shipping if you order over $20. Somehow, even if I only need $5 worth of parts, I can always find $20!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:34   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
This thread has listed a few "favorite suppliers" and I'd like to chime in with mine -- albanycountyfasteners.com-- that has a great selection, great prices, and no shipping if you order over $20. Somehow, even if I only need $5 worth of parts, I can always find $20!
I have purchased a couple of specialty fasteners from these guys and was happy with the price and product.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:03   #67

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

My ratio of extra bolts is more like 150% of project needs. Partially for the sea tax--I paid it yesterday dropping a ubolt over the side.

All my bolts and bits get packaged in small ziplock baggies (jewelers size). I also carry extra eyebolts, padeyes, shackles, pins, hose clamps, small screws, and a small selection of wood screws. All are packed by size and type in the small plastic bags and stowed in plastic bins.

The pic below is as disorganized and low on parts as it gets bc we are installing a new solar-ready enclosure frame, and it is still easy to navigate quickly.

I've been whittling down to using just a few types and sizes of bolts and screws, but it is a process.

In a sea way, we secure the plastic bin lids with a little gorilla tape ;-) otherwise they are stowed in the (slowly being converted) vberth work bench or companionway tool drawers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106_113033.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	158894

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:18   #68
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I broke down and bought a more expensive Stanley orange parts bin instead of the cheap clear ones, after one too many latches broke on the cheap ones. "No regerts" because the Stanley is tape-free.

Just remember, if you drop a Nyloc or other part containing plastic over the side--that's a MARPOL violation, mail in your check for ten grand and your conscience will be clear.

:-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:19   #69

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
.... But what a joy when you actually find exactly the size and number that you suddenly need... almost makes up for the times you don't!

Jim
Has this actually HAPPENED to you yet or are you, like me, dreaming it WILL happen one day?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52   #70

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I broke down and bought a more expensive Stanley orange parts bin instead of the cheap clear ones, after one too many latches broke on the cheap ones. "No regerts" because the Stanley is tape-free.

Just remember, if you drop a Nyloc or other part containing plastic over the side--that's a MARPOL violation, mail in your check for ten grand and your conscience will be clear.

:-)
Someday, but I'm a scrounger diy monkey, and this setup has lasted years....

So far no nylon lock nuts have fallen overboard within the three mile limit, so I think I'm good :-)

Probably should be more concerned by my husband's love of peeing off the stern rail, as that behavior is both illegal and listed by the AK Coast Guard as the number one reason why so many alaskan males die by drowning ;-)

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew