Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 13:55   #1

South Atlantic Self Steering Wind Vane

Anybody used/using one?

Quality looks ok to me. I suspect the S-301 model should be in line with the boat size and displacement I end up with, and as such not too bad a price (Offshore Kit as well, as seems to have all the essential spares), especially as I should be able to provide a decent pre-order time for the discount.

Experience with customer support would be important too (sad to say I have had some serious customer support failures from German suppliers the last couple of years, which I hope doesn't get any worse, so I am becoming more than a bit wary).

http://www.south-atlantic.com.ar/en/s301.html
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 14:50   #2

Re: South Atlantic Self Steering Wind Vane

I hand-steered across the North Atlantic once on a boat equipped with a South Atlantic Self Steering Wind Vane. I cannot recommend them unless you enjoy hand steering. Besides this, the pruchaser of the unit had a terrible customer service experience dealing with the vendor in Germany.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 16:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I hand-steered across the North Atlantic once on a boat equipped with a South Atlantic Self Steering Wind Vane. I cannot recommend them unless you enjoy hand steering. Besides this, the pruchaser of the unit had a terrible customer service experience dealing with the vendor in Germany.
I'm very grateful for the insight Delancey.

That's them struck off the shopping list.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:29   #4

Be careful! South-atlantic is not an honest company. I have given an advance of € 680 and the rudder was never produced. When I asked for the money back, the two partners have blamed each other ... But they have not returned me the money! I sued them for fraud, but I lost € 680. Choose other companies !!!
mucisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:37   #5

Be careful! South-atlantic is not an honest company. I have given an advance of € 680 and the rudder was never produced. When I asked for the money back, the two partners have blamed each other ... But they have not returned me the money! I sued them for fraud, but I lost € 680. Choose other companies !!!
mucisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:07   #6

Boat: Nassau 34

Really, I had a great experience , ordered mine and was told it would be done in he spring. Got it, well made , love mine.

Tags
self steering, steering, wind, wind vane