Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Smallest compressor for diving

Monte,
What your looking for might be a Haskel or similar device, we use them to "boost" gas pressures and to get high dollar gasses like Helium out of a tank etc.
Usually it amounts to a large low pressure cylinder compressing a very small high pressure cylinder, you usually use a drive gas like a low pressure compressor to run the things.
I've never done it as it's not logical to do so in a dive shop, but you could use a Haskel to fill a cylinder by using a low pressure compressor to drive the thing.
Gas Boosters
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50   #77

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Right, it is possible, just a tiny market for such a thing, and the development costs are non-trivial, so develop a $1k compressor, and sell 50 of them?
If you want to spend $5k-10k, already have options.
Paintballers are in fact a much larger market.

One can use a series of tanks where the pressure of one tank is used for the input pressure of the next in series. Three stages or four needed to get 3k psi.
The advantage of going slow is heat dissipation, compressing air produces lots of it. I've come up with some ideas on this, but the chinese will just copy the design and sell them for $20 at harbor doubt stores, so why bother.
Old 13-04-2015, 01:14   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Sorry I'm still not getting it. Take the hand pump as an example. Ok it's hard to push! But given the correct gear ratio of an electric motor, it could be pushed slowly by a very small electric motor. Or imagine the shaft is 1/4 the diameter. Easier but slower. I do t know but I imagine a compressor works by forcing air into a chamber that allows the air to flow one way with some kind of non return valve, so isn't it just a case of decreasing the chamber size or the gearing to allow a smaller motor to do the work?
It exists in the form of the Shoebox. It is nothing but a hand pump mounted in the box and driven by a bunch of gears. However, there is nothing filtering the air so it is not for scuba use. But, it DOES exist!

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:19   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

As Skipmac says, it shall still require a similar amount of energy, whatever form that takes. Should someone actually develop such a beast I do not believe it would sell. You would end up spending hours of muscle power to store a small amount of compressed air plus the complexities of filtration. It is a question of putting the pennies away until you have enough to buy something that meets your requirements. My choice was Bauer Junior II. The first unit I bought second hand but later upgraded to a new petrol powered version. I am very glad we did...
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:53   #80
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ray-
Filtering? Isn't that why the good lord gave us a choice of nasal hairs and those wiggly things that sweep dirt out of the lungs?
Who could ask for anything more? (G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:03   #81

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ray-
Filtering? Isn't that why the good lord gave us a choice of nasal hairs and those wiggly things that sweep dirt out of the lungs?
Who could ask for anything more? (G)
You probably want to get rid of any oil volatiles that have vaporized and don't forget the other hydrocarbon combustion products formed on the hot compressor cylinder walls. This stuff goes around the nasal hairs and bypasses the wiggly things and jacks straight into the blood stream. Would make for an interesting final dive no doubt.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:42   #82
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
It exists in the form of the Shoebox. It is nothing but a hand pump mounted in the box and driven by a bunch of gears. However, there is nothing filtering the air so it is not for scuba use. But, it DOES exist!
https://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 12:39   #83

The shoebox compressor uses silicone oil for lubrication. Breathing air contaminated with silicone oil and diving or not has a good chance of killing you or injuring you permanently.
Old 13-04-2015, 13:55   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"has a good chance of killing you or "
SPOILER ALERT!
The nerve of you guys, telling people how the movie ends before they even pay to get it.
And now YOU are personally responsible for any further damage that is done as the gene pool gets diluted and Mssr. Darwin rolls over in his grave.

Folks wanna breath toxins, let 'em. That's part of wildlife conservation, leave the herd to get culled.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 13:57   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"has a good chance of killing you or "
SPOILER ALERT!
The nerve of you guys, telling people how the movie ends before they even pay to get it.
And now YOU are personally responsible for any further damage that is done as the gene pool gets diluted and Mssr. Darwin rolls over in his grave.

Folks wanna breath toxins, let 'em. That's part of wildlife conservation, leave the herd to get culled.
Ouch!!
Old 25-04-2015, 09:58   #86

Yes. We have just what you need. We are Nardi US compressors and we will be glad to help you. Look at Pyramid Air website and for further information, you can call me. My name is Enzo and my number is 404 444-6600
usdistributor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:11   #87

We have a small compressor to fit your needs. We are Nardi US and you can see the products on Pyramid Air website. You can call me for further information. I am Enzo and my number is 404 444-6600
usdistributor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:14   #88
Marine Service Provider

Oh, MY! Enzo ... that is blatant spam and can get you into trouble. You would hate to be booted off the board the same time you joined! You have to answer questions and not just try to sell something. I also sell compressors (Bauer and Coltri) but am here answering questions and not blatantly selling. But good luck to you!

Oh ... by the way ... you misspelled the name of your company in both of your posts!

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 23:16   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdistributor View Post
We have a small compressor to fit your needs. We are Nardi US and you can see the products on Pyramid Air website. You can call me for further information. I am Enzo and my number is 404 444-6600
Why can I not find your website?
Cheers
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 23:29   #90

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Nardi USA Atlantic P Air Compressor, Electric, 4500 PSI/300 Bar. Compressors.

$3,000 is less than I'd expect. The 230 volts a little bit of an issue.

Tags
compressor, diving