Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 13:07   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Small petrol outboard vs Torqeedo cruise 2 with honda generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I believe we were talking about whether propane could be obtained at a marina in a case where you were about to run out and could not find a nearby supplier. I was observing that you could always obtain a couple of the disposable cannisters if needed. In fact, most gas stations also fill propane tanks and I have also never been to a marina in the US where there was not a gas station near by (and that includes on the Makah Indian Reservation at Neah Bay). And while we are at it, I am a more or less serious cruiser. I carry along several disposable propane cannisters for my BBQ as do most of the other semi-serious cruisers I know. And how much gasoline would most of us put through a 2 hp gas kicker in a year? Why are you imagining using such a large quantity of propane in a kicker engine?
Just curious, do you actually have a propane powered outboard?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:08   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
where is propane hard to find?? only usa.
almost everywhere else itis cooking gas of choice and even has stations akin to gas stations called propane farms for refills. trucks drive around all day filling systems in homes and restaurants. if it is hard to find, donot go to shore, as you will trip over it.
Just curious, do you have a propane powered outboard?
Old 28-12-2018, 13:08   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
propane's very easy to find in the US, just might need to go inland a mile or two
Just curious, do you have a propane powered outboard?
Old 28-12-2018, 14:22   #64
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

no but **for me** I'd rather figure out how to make that work, than an electric dink
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:42   #65

Boat: Passport 40

Just to clear the air a little...

1. The Tohatsu 5ph propane outboard cannot operate using the little propane canisters. They do not fit, and the outboard uses too much propane for it to be practicable. However some other outboards, like the smaller Lehrs, can run for 30min-1hr on a canister.

2. In the United States, propane bottles can be refilled at most U-Haul stations. They charge $3-$4 per gallon, which is a bit more than gas but I don't use the outboard enough for it to matter. If you use propane to cook (we do), then you have to go get propane refills regardless.

3. Back to the original point of this thread, I think electric outboards are a great option if you have the means to buy the equipment and don't need to travel long distances in your dinghy.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 15:25   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
no but **for me** I'd rather figure out how to make that work, than an electric dink
Nothing to figure out. If you want to make propane work just go buy a propane powered outboard. Same with electric. Same with gas, oars or sails. Everything with boats is a compromise. Our Bauer 10 is an absolute joy to row & sail & takes very little throttle on the 2hp Honda to get going. A small Torqueedo would be perfect for that boat but we've already got the Honda & the Torqs are really expensive. Hard to justify a second outboard but if I ever run across a deal ….
Old 28-12-2018, 15:41   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t know where you guys cruise, but it’s been my experience that very often finding propane involves a rental car.
I doubt a cab will let you carry one as you can’t even carry one into a store, they are treated like bombs for some reason, but they can have entire cases of the 1lb cans inside a store?

I’ve not yet seen a Marina with a propane fill station, but some I believe will keep your tank and the local propane guy comes around a couple of times a week, fills them and returns them.

Bottom line propane isn’t easy.

Using a Honda generator as a range extender in a dinghy isn’t any sillier than doing the same thing with a larger boat, yet many seem to think that logical?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 16:30   #68
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Wink Re: Small petrol outboard vs Torqeedo cruise 2 with honda generator

I have been using a Torqueedo 503 for the last 6 years.
No problems, no gas, no propane and never a problem to get where I wanted to get.
I just replaced it with a e propulsion, because of it being completely quiet.

We will see how it goes, but so far I think the Torqueedo was a better quality and this year they have gone over to direct drive (no noise).

My cost for fuel over 6 years= 0

I recommend for those with fossil fuel powered outboards is to buy one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Food-Proces...gLT0fD_BwE:G:s

Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 03:36   #69

Boat: LAGOON 400

we have done today our first trip - 2 nm in ~ 20 kn wind and some chop. Happy with performance. Charged thru standard 12 V and it does 50 W, meaning 915 Wh battery should go from empty to full in ~ 19 hrs. This was confirmed with actual charging time. Will install 12 V socket extension so engine can charge when boat on davits.

30 kg less to pull on the beach - my back said

Surprised, i do not see more of electrics around. Maybe there is something i do not know yet...
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 04:22   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Small petrol outboard vs Torqeedo cruise 2 with honda generator

We are in Marsh Harbor, the wind is supposed to lay down tomorrow and I’m thinking about taking the dinghy to Hopetown to check it out, 7 miles each way in open water, ought to take about 20 min each way assuming I keep it down to 20 kts or so.
Would you guys with electric propulsion consider such a trip?
Oh, and at Bahama’s fuel prices, it may cost as much as $1 to make the trip.

If it takes 19 hours to fully charge the battery from fully discharged, then it’s going to take three full days from Solar.
I suspicion that a fully charged battery equals about $1 of gasoline or less.
Cost wise you’ll never break even, much less save money

My 20 HP four stroke outboard weighs 30kg. That is a big motor, and an electric outboard is more comparable to a very small gas outboard, how do you save 30 Kg going electric?
Old 29-12-2018, 05:29   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Torqeedo sounds really good.

As one data point on small petrol outboards, however - I have been really busy with my work this fall and have away from the boat since October. I was in a hurry leaving last time and neglected to run the fuel out of my 3.5hp 4 stroke Mercury.

Nevertheless, it cranked right up this morning.

That's fairly serious competition for Torqeedo - more power, vastly more range, half the price. On the minus side - heavier, noisier, more maintenance.

I'm seriously considering acquiring a Torqeedo, however. The killer advantage is portability and storage, where Torqeedo just blows away any petrol outboard.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:26   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we have done today our first trip - 2 nm in ~ 20 kn wind and some chop. Happy with performance. Charged thru standard 12 V and it does 50 W, meaning 915 Wh battery should go from empty to full in ~ 19 hrs. This was confirmed with actual charging time. Will install 12 V socket extension so engine can charge when boat on davits.

30 kg less to pull on the beach - my back said

Surprised, i do not see more of electrics around. Maybe there is something i do not know yet...
Pretty sure you do know why. 19 hours to refill your motor. 2 minutes to refill mine.
Old 29-12-2018, 11:04   #73

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Pretty sure you do know why. 19 hours to refill your motor. 2 minutes to refill mine.
And $2,500 for the Torqeedo versus about a $1,000 for a new Honda.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:17   #74
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And an extra jerry can to get extra range, not needing to cart hundreds / thousands of dollars of batteries (or a genset??!!) around in a dink that may well get dunk.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:26   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

It’s also a kilowatt hour too, and that is quite a bit of power.
I suck at math, but isn’t that about 85 amp hours?

Tags
cruise, generator, honda, outboard