Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 17:43   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Slow Overheating

I have a 6kw Mastervolt Genset. The engine is a two cylinder Mitsubishi. Over the last several years, it has given me a lot of problems with overheating. It has coolant and exhaust sensors that shut it down when it reaches a safety point. That would occur once the engine warmed up--say 10 minutes. Back flushed it, checked the usual (impeller, thermostat), even had the heat exchanger bathed in some sort of acid solution to get rid of scale and build up. In putting the boat in commission last week, I installed a water temperature gauge on the Mitsubishi engine, cranked it and watched. Engine started immediately and ran well. I did some other work but every 5 minutes or so went and observed the gauge. Slowly but surely the temperature rose. After an hour and a half the temperature reached boiling and the engine shut down.

90 minutes so a real slow boil. Any ideas why? Oh---I never turned on anything that drew a load, so the rise in temperature was not affected by a load. Had there been one, things would likely have boiled sooner given the extra work.

Thanks.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:17   #2

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Re: Slow Overheating

Sounds like the raw water side of your heat exchanger needs a descale.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:56   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
90 minutes so a real slow boil. Any ideas why? .......
Well nothing specific but to say, the cooling system relies on three factors - go though each one until you find the culprit.

1. engine coolant circulating (engine water pump, thermostat, fresh water side of H/E etc).
2. Sufficient raw water flowing (RWC water pump, salt side of H/E, plumbing, inlet strainer, discharge point etc)
3. Heat exchanger (clean both sides and sufficient size).

As the problem is long term, what there a time when it did work OK? Perhaps something is undersized and worked OK when perfectly new but as time goes on, a small reduction in performance might be causing this slow boil.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 19:09   #4

All good advice, my go to on overheating is to look at my salt water flow out the exhaust, if I have lots of water I know the impeller is working. I pull the core and give it an acid bath, that usually solves the over heating. If that doesn't work it's not a waste of time because that core needs semi regular cleaning anyways. So you'd be left with the fresh water side.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 06:52   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Thanks for advice. I'm going to have to measure the water discharge.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, overheating