Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 21:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Simpson Davits Top Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsmo View Post
I do have the manual. I converted it to a PDF. Let me know if you want a copy. However, it does not have sections related to the watermaker. The boat has the 3 zones of aircon, no washing machine. I'd like to install a washing machine - i see that it would have gone in the passageway between the aft cabin and the nav station. I'll have to pull up some cabin sole to see if there is roughed in plumbing for it.
Another question - How is the headliner attached? Before I go tugging on it - some of the headliner is separating from its backing that I'll need to address, and I will need to access space above it to possibly route wiring and such...
I'm miffed that Moody didn't use hinged panels for the nav station - something else I'll want to address!

We should start an M54 forum.

No washing machine? Didn't know any M54's were built without one. The washer/dryer goes in the most forward section of the passage cabin. The space is odd shaped and I haven't found anything which will fit except the originally installed Eudora/Eumenia one. If you get something else to fit, I want to hear about it. My Eudora still works after 18 years -- and I use it a lot -- it's built like a tank -- but I don't think I can get parts for it anymore. The drain can be arranged either with a PEX pipe to the gray water tank, or direct overboard via an above the waterline through-hull. Supply is trivial; just run PEX piping from the water pressure pump manifold if there isn't piping already in place.

I solved the electrical panel issue with limiting straps made from small cordage. So you remove the screws and prop up the bottom edge in the panel opening and you can work behind the panel. I decided against hinges because there are cases where you want to remove the whole panel. I hate the screws directly into wood but haven't had time to come up with a better solution. Naturally the screws wear out the holes with time so I've gradually increased the size of them. Soon I'll need some inserts or something.

The M54 headliner panels are attached like car door panels with -- I don't know what they are called -- bumper clips or whatever. These are made of crap material which has lost its pliability and has become brittle. So you gently pry them off like you would do a car door panel, but expect to break some bumper clips. If you find an upgrade which fits I'd like to hear about it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 22:36   #17

Boat: 2002 Moody 54 / 1978 Pearson 365 Ketch

That's all great info Dockhead! Thanks! The previous owner had the boat built for him and evidently made some modifcations. He even flew to England to watch over the build out.
I'm up for starting an M54 thread! There are only 3 M54's that I know of in the states and I had a choice of two 2002 M54's when I bought this one - both offered for sale in Kenosha Wisconsin by their original owners. I looked at Hylas, H Rassey, Oyster, and a 2004 Beneteau 57 Center cockpit. It was love at first sight when I got on the Moody. I read all the posts on this forum comparing these yachts. Very informative. I'm very grateful to this community and look forward to contributing.
Unfortunately, she's on the hard for winter (Lake Michigan marinas freeze up in the winter!). I'll get to work on her this spring. Meanwhile, I sail my 1978 Pearson 365 Ketch in San Francisco Bay during the winter.
maxsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 11:10   #18

Can someone guide me to a distributor that sells gears that will fit the simpson.davits? My model is an s300
Capttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 01:49   #19

Hi Dockhead,
I know this is an old post but I have recently fitted some used Simpson electric davits - 150kg model.
I am trying to find a user manual or information on these.
Yesterday one of the cables came away - the drum end is all chewed up. I have got a new cable made but I don't know how to fit it.
Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated please.
Thanks
YarmouthBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 04:14   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would not have recommended those davits.

Fitting cable is easy as i recall. You need a spliced or crimped eye in the end of the wire. There's a screw and washer which clamps the eye to the drum.

Single braid dyneema is much nicer than wire rope for this. Whatever you use, be careful to have some load on the falls when you raise or lower or a fall will jump the sheave and you'll get a mess. Don't ask me how I know. There are supposed to be little weights on the ends of the falls to help with this - make sure you have them.

I don't know of a source for manuals, but the Cooney website has manuals for later models which are similar.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 05:02   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Simpson Davits Top Tips

I had those davits.

Fitting a new wire cable is a PITA , as the end has to be forced into a hold down eyelet. Doable but still a pita

You must have the fall weights , dynema is an option but the drum mechanism will chafe it to pieces without additional guides.

Check the motor isn’t working loose from the gearbox

Having said that mine were very reliable

The whole winding mechanism slides out from the rear by removing the four screws underneath
Old 19-04-2022, 05:04   #22

Many thanks for your response and advice.

I have managed to replace the cable and yes I do have double weights on each wire.

I was lucky to pick up these davits from a friend very cheaply and they appear in excellent condition. So far I am delighted with them but I am having to have the deck strengthened as the lay up on my 1992 sealine is very poor and not anywhere near strong enough for the davits.

Always something to do on a boat!

I will change to the rope you have suggested next time a cable needs replacing.

Many thanks again
Old 19-04-2022, 05:32   #23

Many thanks.

Yes it was a total pain trying to get the cable through that hole in the drum. I nearly gave up but my 11yr old son managed to do it in the end and I was proud as punch - as was he :-)

Glad you had a good experience with these as the brand seems to get a lot of bad reviews. That puts my mind at rest a bit.

Useful to hear your comments about the rope. I will stick to wire I think.

I do love these being electric after years of winding by hand. Very decadent I know.

Thanks again

Tags
davits