Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 06:44   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Show me your boarding ladder (please)

From your question I would guess that you meant boarding from a dock rather than from the dingy or the water. In that case I like the "Boarding Fender".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:29   #32

One alternate high freeboard approach is to use an electric motor on the davits that lift the whole dink up including the crew. Kind of amusing "in action" but I guess it worked for them.

Another is to purchase an Amel passerelle. Highly engineered as you can see from these blog photos.

http://www.zerotocruising.com/cooles...es-amel-maramu

Lastly can you share a stern picture? Maybe a swim platform can be part of the solve.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:18   #33

I have not been able to download pictures. But Amel mango, maramu, and supermaramu have boarding ladder are around 7 feet long. They pivot on the literal tube of the stanchion and pulled aft when not in use. They also are used as Passerelles. By adding a plank on top. You can mount them forward of bow roller or aft. Look up pick on internet to get a better idea. Good luck.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53   #34

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
From your question I would guess that you meant boarding from a dock rather than from the dingy or the water. In that case I like the "Boarding Fender".
No this would be from the water or from a dink. We're about to unhook from the dock and go (at last).

The water up here is indeed cold - right now about 58F. I imagine after a few minutes I might have problems holding on to any ladder, but it seems a bit cavalier to just assume I will die and go without.

I remember the Mystic Ladder from boat shows years ago, it's a terrific product. If I can scrape together enough $$ I'd go with them, but it's gonna hurt.

Thanks everyone.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:29   #35

Garelick is an option Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4807.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	153760
Old 09-08-2017, 11:51   #36

http://www.zerotocruising.com/wp-con...7/02/amel6.jpg
Old 09-08-2017, 12:18   #37

Redhead:

Going for a quick swim in places like Buccaneer Bay is one thing. Coming back to the “mothership” in the dink after provisioning in Madeira Park is a very similar thing. Taking an inadvertent dunking in the middle of Rosario Strait is quite another.

I see talk of “passerelles” (gang planks) and accommodation ladders that are totally inappropriate for a boat the size of yours, let alone for TP. I see talk of mechanical gizzmos that are just dandy in big ships. But there is merit in keeping things as simple and maintenance free as possible. MySaintedMother used to tell me: “If you can't repair it with a dirk and a piece of cod line – don't go to see in it!” :-)

From what you've said, you aren't going to be single-handing. If you take a fall on deck and go overboard you will be: 1) Hurting and sore and weak from the fall. 2) disoriented and 3) rendered extremely weak, to the point of incapacity, by the cold water. What will save your bacon is having APPROPRIATE equipment aboard (in addition to the mandated equipment) and having COMPETENT crew left aboard to get you back in.

Getting useful, cheap equipment (you sound as if bux matter to you) you can do for just a few dollars by making a Jacob's ladder of sufficient length, and for another fistful of dollars by ensuring that you have a running topping lift so you can use your main boom as a cargo boom. . A Jacob's ladder is EMERGENCY equipment and should be stowed where it is handy, though not fully deployed. Just like your heaving line.

Mine gets slung from the base of a stanchion with the “knot” that every sailor must know and be able to tie with one hand. In the dark. While being dragged under water :-): The Round Turn and Two Half Hitches.

You prolly know the standard MOB drill for baby ships. Just add the above :-)! If you are the skipper, it is YOUR responsibility to train your crew to use it promptly and proficiently – as well as how to get the ship back to the MOB's location. If it isn't you that is the skipper, then lean on your skipper until these things are taken care of, and each crew member can perform the required evolution as if he were the last man aboard!

Obviously, a “reboarding device” that will work when the chips are down will also work for getting back aboard if you've just been for a quiet little snorkle :-)! And using it for that purpose fairly frequently assures that if the chips really ARE down, it will be in good working order, and you will know how to use it with confidence.

I commend you for thinking these things through in advance. As I poke about the southern Gulf Islands I hear far, far to many transmissions by USCG Puget Sound Sector dealing with the tribulations of boaters who apparently didn't bother to do that!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 22:33   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
Thanks Mango51 and Secondbase for the Amel ladder.

I have always admired the one on Delos, but didn't appreciate the features.

How do the steps pivot flat?

I am in the beginning stages of designing a new custom side ladder for Stargazer as with a recently torn Achilles tendon, no more leaping if being blown away from the dock.
Priorities
1 Steps, not rungs for when I have a dive tank on my back (like Amels)

2. Pivots up as a Gate when not in use, but designed as a 3 part where it is a dock ladder (double width) then folds out to swim/dive ladder with two steps under water

My stern ladder worked OK in the past but with just rungs, it was always hard on the feet when carrying something

This shows the height at the side gate when our guys were painting
Click image for larger version

Name:	1502343158004.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	153828

Stern ladderClick image for larger version

Name:	1502343213756.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	153829
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:35   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Mine:

[emoji6]

Name:	DSCF0400.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	153833
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:52   #40

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	153834
A side boarding ladder is what you want
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35   #41

The steps don't pivot. A plank of wood sildes on the aluminum frame . In which you walk on. The whole structure pivot aft to store.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48   #42

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
Absolutely go with the Mystic Marine. We have had ours since 1991. Still rock solid and easy to board if you are in the water. Looks good and easy to install if you have a toe rail. Ours has had and continues to have heavy use.
Tom
Are these deployable from the water?
I have low freeboard and can easily step up from my kayak to board my boat, but there are times I just want to jump in the water without dropping my kayak in first. Climbing up the bobstay gets old quick.
Right now I'm deciding between mystic, up'n'out, and a custom mexican welded job.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:30   #43

Boat: Kaufman 47

I have been looking as well.. Found this thread which has some good stuff on Sailing Anarchy.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...swim-platform/
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 06:10   #44

Show me your boarding ladder (please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks Mango51 and Secondbase for the Amel ladder.

[/ATTACH]

Anytime Pelagic. Hey also check the current thread "mystery object" for a photo of a passarelle hanger. Might fit into a custom design if that's the way you go.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=190266
Old 30-10-2017, 14:43   #45

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I've actually got three installed boarding ladders: the one pictured below is patterned after the Mystic Ladder mentioned above. It is mounted to starboard, for swimming and dinghy use, for us older folk. It is removeable with the pulling of two hairclip pins at the toe rail, it folds down into the water 36" with four steps under water for ease of boarding from the water. It stores as can be seen at the rails.

To port I use an Edson single step that is set to allow easy access to and from a dock and can be used to board from an inflatable if you are a little agile.

At the stern davits there is a fold down two step hoop ladder that can be accessed from the deck or the dinghy when attaching or freeing the dinghy from the davits. I don't seem to have good picture.

This topic has been much on my mind and I also have an uninstalled four step telescoping ladder in the lazarette, and a portable folding ladder I used to use to board from the dinghy before I made the pictured folder.

My old boat had a Stainless Steel side mounted stair case the had a platform at the deck and another at the waterline for elegant and dignified boarding. It weighed about 300 pounds and I eventually got rid of it as too cumbersome, although it was kind of cool and worked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edson step.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	158573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	158574  

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg