Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 07:49   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Rocking Dinghy in Davits

Anybody have a simple way to secure the dinghy in davits? I have a 9 foot light AB hard bottom on my Martek davits and I attach a line to the stern of the dinghy and run it to the opposite side of the sailboat and attach it to the stern cleat and the same on the bow of the dinghy (cris crossed). It secures it ok but still rocks a bit.

I've seem dinghys on davits with lines and nylon ratchet straps criss crossed and ran all over the place and would like a time tested simple way to secure it.

Thanks in advance
aland3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:54   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Rocking Dinghy in Davits

I just run 2 lines that cross and tie to the stern rails. I even normally leave the lines attached to the dinghy when it is off the davits, toss them into the dinghy and use them as extra lines for attaching to he dock etc.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:01   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I use 2 nylon ratchet straps crossed over the dinghy to hold it in place. If the weather gets severe I'll throw 2 additional straps, probably extreme, but rather be safe...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:02   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Mine (9' Caribe RIB) is held in the davits by the hoisting tackle, crossing lines (over the topsides of the dinghy), and lines going over the top of the dinghy and then back under the bottom (parallel to the centerline of the sailboat) and tied to my stern rails. Then, inbetween the dinghy and the stern rails I use two fenders or bumpers to keep the dinghy off of the boat. This system takes about 5-10 minutes to rig up, but it holds the dinghy about as securely and stationary as possible.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:27   #5

Boat: Vagabond 42

After trying every conceivable way to secure our 9’ RIB in my Edson davits, we have just quit carrying the dinghy on the davits offshore. I have had davit lines chafe through on two different occasions dropping one end of the dinghy into the water and creating a real mess (and never on a pretty, calm water day). Now we lash the dinghy down on the foredeck when we are offshore and just use the davits when we are in a questionable anchorage and want to provide “extra” security for the dinghy overnight.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 09:34   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

First, change the lifting tackle so that you can lift the tender TIGHT against the davits--you may have to play with the attachment points. Unless it is up tight, I doubt there is any sure solution.

Our tricing lines are spare dock lines, run from the davit cleats (very large), to tip of the davits (beyond the bocks), under the boat cris-cross, and back up to the cleats. I can't imagine dropping the tender, as we can disconect the lifting tackle and still stays in place. The tender can go flat and it still stays there.

Takes only a minute to do or un-do. I have no need for ratchets, as there is only so much tension I wish to put on an inflatable tube, and I can easily get that with 2 firm snaps of the line while pulling on the cleat; perhaps it is a difference in geometry. This also requires no additional gear, since you won't need the docklines and tricing at the same time.

Sail Delmarva: All Triced-Up
Old 27-06-2011, 11:29   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

what thinwater said about hoisting it tight to the davits is right. I do that and then use criss crossed ratchets attached to the stern rail. These hold the boat against a fender hung in the middle of the stern rail. Works great and doesnt take much time. Kato marine sells excellent (if overpriced) stainless steel ratchets which still dont have any rust on them after a cruise to the Caribbean and back

ps - offshore the dinghy goes on the foredeck - if you leave it on the davits and need to take it off while offshore you are probably screwed considering the conditions that would make that necessary
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 11:46   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Off shore the dinghy goes on the deck or if there is bad weather in the forcast. The dinghy does go tight to the davit, I made up a cable with swaged fittings that are the perfect size. I'll try these methods like going over the top and cris cross.

Thanks everyone
aland3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:35   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

4 ratchet straps will do it. Two diagonally from the bow and stern and two to hold it in. You cannot get lines tight enough, have to have ratchet straps.

Tags
davits, dinghy