Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 16:25   #1

Rigid Tender Recommendation

Looking for a new, durable rigid tender. Priorities:
  1. Cheap
  2. Ten foot range
  3. Available from the US
Storage, weight, stability, hull material, not an issue.
Any and all suggestions and recommendations, much appreciated.
Bry
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 16:27   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Rigid Tender Recommendation

The 10 foot versions often don't have a huge weight capacity (and aren't as common as larger versions), but look around for an aluminum skiff. They can often be found used pretty cheaply (the 12 footer we have as our dinghy cost under $500 used). And most will plane with a fairly small outboard compared to an inflatable or RIB.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:30   #3

Thanks, rslifkin for responding.
I'm down here in God's Country with nothing available used. I have to buy new and have it shipped from the US. Also, it only needs to carry me ashore, so as long as it can handle a couple of hundred pounds and doesn't leak, I'm happy. But it has to withstand landing on the rocks or against a commercial pier with the shell-life associated with salt water harbors.
If you have a manufacturer or two you would like to recommend, I'd be most grateful.
Much thanks,
Bry
Old 08-03-2022, 10:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The Walker Bay does the job. It is not a planing hull, but can be sailed and has an inflated collar as an option.

https://walkerbaydinghies.com/dinghi...le-dinghy/310r
Old 08-03-2022, 12:03   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

What’s your price limit?
There are a bunch of good fiberglass dinghies you can buy new but price is an issue.

I would build a Chameleon nesting dinghy.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:17   #6

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

a little bit of thread highhacking but on the topic of Walker Bay. I would love a tube kit for a 8' Walker Bay. Only place I have found one is buying it in the UK and shipping to USA. All that is involved adds too much $$$.

As far as the Walker Bay 8 goes I love it as long as you don't need to carry much or go fast. Light, durable and easy to handle. Rows well and can be sailed. Doesn't need anything more than a 2.5HP because it is not going any faster with anything bigger as it will not plan. That is both good and bad.

Good Luck finding you perfect dinghy.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:30   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Don’t know where you are but surely there must be a boatbuilder near you.
You can get a cut file for some nice 10’ aluminum boats or make a cardboard model and scale it up full size.
Where are you? Not a gps, it would really help us answer the question.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 15:21   #8

Haiti. And I don't want a boat built from old packing crates. Thanks.
And not sure why someone would suggest a nesting dingy when storage is not the issue. The Walker Bay WB10 is more along my lines but wish it were a bit longer. The cost of buying the dingy is not so much the issue. Import duties are what's going to kill me :-) So yeah, cheap, cheap, cheap...
But thanks everyone. More suggestions are really appreciated.
Bry
Old 09-03-2022, 17:08   #9

I know you're looking around 10 feet, but what's the maximum size you could accommodate?
Old 09-03-2022, 17:16   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What’s your price limit?
There are a bunch of good fiberglass dinghies you can buy new but price is an issue.

The Dyer Dhow (9') and Dyer Dink (10') still in production, $2500 and $3500 respectively. Those are probably your only choices in fiberglass production boats at 10'. Trinka was a good choice but is out of business.

You can get a Lund A-12 Sunfish (aluminum) for $3100 list, but they don't make anything shorter except a jonboat that isn't suitable as a tender. The A-12 is intended for motoring but would have acceptable rowing performance; I have a 14' Crestliner that is essentially the same thing scaled up a little.

Or the Walker Bay is out there, cheap, good for what it is. They are made of polypropylene.

You could also look at the Portland Pudgy. They're made of polyethylene but are only 7'8".

Quote:

I would build a Chameleon nesting dinghy.

I have a Chameleon build well underway myself. If you don't want it to nest, just leave out the bulkheads and you'll save 10 pounds. There are many other 10' dinghies available as plans or kits from CLC, B&B, Bateau, etc.

Stan Grayson's book, "The Dinghy Book" covers the design tradeoffs and history in this size range and is worthwhile reading -- but is now out of date as the many small local boatbuilders that once existed have largely disappeared now that everyone wants a deflatable PVC dinghy.
Old 09-03-2022, 17:51   #11

Gig Harbor has fiberglass options in the 10 foot range as well. And in the 12 foot range you have that Lund and a few other manufacturers of aluminum skiffs. Mirrocraft, Lowe, Smokercraft, and a few others I can't think of right now all make them.
Old 09-03-2022, 19:28   #12

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Pt spear is 11’. It’s the no -nesting version of the pt-11. Port Townsend watercraft.
Not cheap, takes time to build, but…. I have a pt-11 and it rows and tows like a dream. And sails too.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:29   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Pt spear is 11’. It’s the no -nesting version of the pt-11. Port Townsend watercraft.
Not cheap, takes time to build, but…. I have a pt-11 and it rows and tows like a dream. And sails too.

The Spear is no longer in production. The PT-11 is now available from CLC, but it is not the inexpensive boat the OP asked for.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:52   #14

Okay, first off... thank you everyone, for all the suggestions. I'll need some time online to explore the options.
Size isn't a huge issue as the dink will be in the water full time and not be brought aboard. I was looking at the 10-foot range for ease of handling, docking and beaching but I can go larger if it means saving import duties. Of course, then shipping starts to become a problem.
My powering options are a 4hp Merc and a 15hp Yamaha.
Unfortunately, building from scratch would be difficult without AC power and tools. And finding decent plywood might be a problem.
Again many thanks,
Bry
Old 10-03-2022, 10:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
Looking for a new, durable rigid tender. Priorities:
  1. Cheap
  2. Ten foot range
  3. Available from the US
Storage, weight, stability, hull material, not an issue.
Any and all suggestions and recommendations, much appreciated.
Bry
1) If size and weight aren't an issue, what about an 11 ft or 13 foot Boston Whaler.

2) Why do you have Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) language embedded in the body of your posts?? This is used for web pages. Are you a 'bot'?

If I sent you random pictures, would you be able to identify the blocks that have, say, cross-walks in them??
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, tender