Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Repairing a Salem Ships Bell Clock

Does anyone have any experience with any repair shops in the US? This clock is over 50 years old and a part of the family handed down we wish to keep on board. I haven't been successful locating too many shops that service this German made clock and would like to get it fixed by someone who has experience with the manufacturer.

Any suggestions? Thanks! SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Repairing a Salem Ships bell clock

who manufactured the clock?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03   #3

As far as I can tell Salem is the manufacturer out of W. Germany is on the face. I'm not sure on the actual movement inside. I will see if anything else stands out. SC

Edit to add: the face says "Salem Ships Clock 8 Day Jeweled". And adding photos for reference. The barometer is fine and present for reference only. The clock is the only item broken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3395285224.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	35613

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2691690118.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	35614
Old 05-01-2012, 13:31   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

It is possible that the clock in question came from Salem Clock Shop in Salem, Oregon. According to their website, they are still in business and have a repair and restoration department.

Clock Repair, Service and Restoration - Salem Clock Shop - Salem, Oregon
Old 05-01-2012, 13:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you strike out with Salem OR I have a friend that repairs clocks and has a complete machine shop including a miniature metal lathe if he has to make any parts.

He is semi retired but might be interested in the job since he's a sailor as well and we could call it marine related.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
If you strike out with Salem OR I have a friend that repairs clocks and has a complete machine shop including a miniature metal lathe if he has to make any parts.

He is semi retired but might be interested in the job since he's a sailor as well and we could call it marine related.
Lol well it would be making the leap to sailing. Would that count? :-) It started out on a cruising power boat but hopefully that won't be held against it. There was at least a small sailboat in the family at that time.

I'll check on the company in OR Astrid but I don't think they're one in the same being the maritime clocks they sell are by Chelsea. I will email and ask though to be sure.

Thanks everyone! Still open for ideas if anyone has any...
SC
Old 05-01-2012, 15:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Lol well it would be making the leap to sailing. Would that count? :-) It started out on a cruising power boat but hopefully that won't be held against it. There was at least a small sailboat in the family at that time.

I'll check on the company in OR Astrid but I don't think they're one in the same being the maritime clocks they sell are by Chelsea. I will email and ask though to be sure.

Thanks everyone! Still open for ideas if anyone has any...
SC
The movements are not that unique. Google "Antique Clock Repair". For example see Antique Clock Repair & Restoration
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:40   #8

I did a little more checking and there was a Salem Clock Company located in Hartford CT. It imported German-made internal workings set into (usually) American made brass cases. Clock faces marked Germany were probably made before the founding of the FGR in 1949. Thereafter, until unification, faces were marked W.Germany or West Germany.
Old 05-01-2012, 15:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid
I did a little more checking and there was a Salem Clock Company located in Hartford CT. It was formed prior to 1948 and used German made internal workings set into American made cases. The company seems to have had a number of sales offices, including the main one in New York.
That is a strong possibility Astrid. The home base for the boat at that time was in the NY area. I am guessing this company is no more? If nothing else it's interesting to learn a little about the clock itself. I know a lot about the boat it was on through photos and many great stories.
SC
Old 05-01-2012, 15:56   #10

I had some repair work done by these guys: Antique clock shops, Boston, MA, antique clocks, clocks, Antique shops, Hills Antique Clocks, clock repair

I know this sucks to say but unless you have a strong physical attachment to the beauty of a manual clock a digital will really kick its ass all over the place. Aneroid barometers start dying the minute they're calibrated and no one who really needs dead-on accuracy is using manual timepieces or physical barometers.

For half the cost of repairing a clock/barometer combination you can get a casio pathfinder watch which will perform both functions better, in addition to more of them.

**edit: I just re-read the part about the family attachment and that's a valid reason to restore a time piece like that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:00   #11

The one on this link is very similar to yours:

SALEM CLOCK CO. METAL BAROMETER & BRASS CLOCK : Lot 60467
Old 05-01-2012, 17:28   #12

Rebel I understand what you're saying and you're right. Having these on board are one data point of many. Think of it more from an emotional standpoint of belonging to family members long committed to the sea. If we can get this fixed they have a special spot waiting for them.

Astrid it does indeed. It seems you were on the right path earlier in the New York / New England area. It looks like Chelsea will also service a brand Salem but it isn't clear which Salem.
SC
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Rebel I understand what you're saying and you're right. Having these on board are one data point of many. Think of it more from an emotional standpoint of belonging to family members long committed to the sea. If we can get this fixed they have a special spot waiting for them.
Gotcha, and makes sense. If I had something like that in my family I'd certainly do the same. Too bad for my kid all she'll get from me is that casio watch.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42   #14

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We had a great experience with Chelsea Clock chelseaclock.com
They repaif many brands and have experience with antiques.
Old 06-01-2012, 14:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Gotcha, and makes sense. If I had something like that in my family I'd certainly do the same. Too bad for my kid all she'll get from me is that casio watch.
Actually Rebel It isn't the stuff but the memories that matter IMHO. Some of the richest people I know aren't wealthy and conversely some of he wealthiest I don't consider rich. Just my perspective on life. SC

Tags
repairs