Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2020, 07:44   #31

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Recommendation for cable to lock dinghy and engine?

I went to Home Depot and found packaged vinyl covered stainless steel cables with loops. I know I bought at least one 15' and thought they also had 20 or 30'. Bought a 3 pack of the better locks with 2 keys and off I went. One key stays on the boat in the nav station; the other hands on the other side of the saloon.

I ran one through the outboard, through the padeye on the boat, through the davits and locked both ends together.

Can somebody cut it? Yep. They'll need to be on the boat, but if they're there, it'll happen no matter what I do. Don't re-paint or shine the motor :-)

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:47   #32

Boat: DeFever 48

Stazo SmartLock and cable are very secure. Somewhat pricey, but I wanted a good rig for a brand new AB aluminum hull dinghy with a Suzuki 20 efi outboard.

Here is a link. https://rowkraft.com/shop/stazo-lasso-cable-with-quick-link/
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:42   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

(Oops, wrong thread)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 12:17   #34

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

I am at BOOT Dusseldorf right now. Yesterday we saw a BRILLIANT - not cheap lock from STAZO demonstrated to us by the Rep. Key Features
1. A locking bar for the outboard - common like you get anywhere EXCEPT what they did is engineer inside the box along the edge a thief would try to hacksaw is a stainless steel rod with holders inside at each end that allow the rod to roll if the case is cut through. The genius is that the hacksaw will just roll the bar and not cut anything. Won't stop a grinder but would slow one down.
2. They have a 5 meter SS cable with a an end that will fit inside the above cover/lock thus tying the motor to the boat and the dock simultaneously. The goal of tying motor to the dock is that makes it pointless to cut off the transom to remove the motor.
3. Rather than the full bar lock they have a single lock that covers one handle of the motor and with the cable does the same as above.
You can go cheaper - and I am sure there are a million stories of 'never had a problem', but thats just it, the one problem is a big one...
my 2 cents.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine, men