Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 13:18   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Re-tubing an AB Dinghy. Worth it? Or not?

Unless you can get cheap labor and very discounted materials I do not see this as good economics v. buying a used replacement. My RIB looked like it was about dead, new pinholes almost daily. As a last resort I used a tube sealer material on the inside and rubber paint outside. so far is good but less than a month. The materials were under $200 for a West Marine 310 (11').
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 16:49   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Unless you can get cheap labor and very discounted materials I do not see this as good economics v. buying a used replacement.
Well, Dave, if you buy a used dinghy you then have a used dinghy with unknown life expectancy. If you have the tubes replaced, you have a functionally new dinghy with the life expectancy that goes along with that state.

Big difference.

Jim
Old 16-03-2017, 03:30   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Retubing might offer an opportunity to upgrade the old dink, using a better tube. There's a company out there that makes foam-filled replacement collars (sorry couldn't find the link), or there's these: Replacement Sponsons | Wing Inflatables
Just a thought.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 04:12   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I got a quote last Feb to re-tube our AB VL, with AB brand tubes, and it was within $300.00 of a brand new boat, ("but could be more").

I suspect it has a lot to do with where you are as to how the re-tube pricing goes. I really love our AB, but up here in the NE, they have literally priced themselves out of the market. Next time around it won't likely be another AB.
Old 16-03-2017, 04:32   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I got a quote last Feb to re-tube our AB VL, with AB brand tubes, and it was within $300.00 of a brand new boat, ("but could be more").

I suspect it has a lot to do with where you are as to how the re-tube pricing goes. I really love our AB, but up here in the NE, they have literally priced themselves out of the market. Next time around it won't likely be another AB.
Yes, I got a great price. Great price. At full price it would have been better to get a new dinghy.

My next new one will be PVC.
For the life expectancy of a dinghy the way I use it I think the tropics will be the lesser problem.

PVC are about $1,800 instead of $3,600 for hypolon.

Mine effectively last 4 years so PVS is $500 per year and Hypolon $1,000 per year.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 05:12   #21

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

For the life expectancy of a dinghy the way I use it I think the tropics will be the lesser problem.
That's interesting. What's causing the early wear-out? Abrasion, punctures?
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 05:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Mark it is a no brainer. If you get someone who knows what they are doing (the hard part) and uses the right adhesive it should be like new. The expensive part of the dingy is the hull, and why buy a new one. we live in a society that loves to throw **** away when rebuilding or repairing is a good option.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 05:26   #23

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Re-tubing is very popular in the UK. You might poke around on rib.net for some more opinions.
Old 16-03-2017, 07:23   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
That's interesting. What's causing the early wear-out? Abrasion, punctures?
Its my car, my truck. I use it multiple times per day. I don't treat to gently, carefully or keep it fluffed in cotton wool. Its like a builders F100.
Also davits produce chafe in long passages. Tropical sun. Rough dinghy docks its always tied to when ashore.

I bought it new in Jan 2011 with a thought of life expectancy of 4 years, replacing it Jan 2015. Had a few financial issues so had to keep it longer. But it was perfect at Jan 2015 I could have sold it for, say, $1,000.

I don't see why off can't last 4 years in the tropics. When they deteriate they get sticky on the tubes from the sun, don't they? That's an easy patch repair.

Dinghy Chaps cost near $1000 and keep your bum wet, so I don't like them

So with the costs involved I wouldn't mind testing a PVC. If its no good its no huge loss. That's in 4 years time!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 07:39   #25

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
I bought it new in Jan 2011 with a thought of life expectancy of 4 years, replacing it Jan 2015.
Makes sense, I had just always heard of hypalon having a much longer lifespan, so was curious what had shortened it! Sounds like hypalon has much greater UV resistance, but similar 'wear and tear' durability for your usage patterns. But I guess you'll have the comparison in four years!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:01   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Yes, I got a great price. Great price. At full price it would have been better to get a new dinghy.

PVC are about $1,800 instead of $3,600 for hypolon.

Mine effectively last 4 years so PVS is $500 per year and Hypolon $1,000 per year.
There are a lot of different grades of PVC. I had a New Zealand built Aquapro that had PVC tubes. We had it for 14 years, with the last 4 in the tropics. The tubes were still in good shape when I sold it. Did use chaps on it. It was a better built dinghy than my hypalon AB UL.
Old 26-03-2017, 05:14   #27

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Hi - We have an AB console RIB that has seen better days, and currently are not in a position to re-tube it. The "Great Stuff" option is very interesting - can anyone tell us what the actual product used is called - there seem to be several options! Also any advice on quantities needed for a 15' RIB!
pippatheskippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 18:49   #28

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Are used about 12 cans on my 13 foot ABC aluminum hall. The great stuff trade name is "great stuff ". It comes in several varieties. I use the triple expanding. It's available from Home Depot. Be Carovel you don't get any on your hands you'll stick together forever.

Initially if your tubes aren't in too bad of shape you can put the leaky areas down and just spray one Can and smeared across the inside is really seals very well .

I sprayed the great stuff in through the valves. You must wait until it hardens before you remove the spray tube. If you get any on the valves their shot.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:22   #29

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Are used about 12 cans on my 13 foot ABC aluminum hall. The great stuff trade name is "great stuff ". It comes in several varieties. I use the triple expanding. It's available from Home Depot. Be Carovel you don't get any on your hands you'll stick together forever.

Initially if your tubes aren't in too bad of shape you can put the leaky areas down and just spray one Can and smeared across the inside is really seals very well .

I sprayed the great stuff in through the valves. You must wait until it hardens before you remove the spray tube. If you get any on the valves their shot.
Do you need the valves once its full of foam?
pippatheskippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy