Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 30-08-2006, 15:25   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
PVC vs Hypalon

I'm looking at the purchase of a dinghy.
My basic alternatives are PVC dinghy for $500 and a Hypalon dinghy for $2000.
I know that Hypalon is far superior to PVC but is it four times better?
The other way of looking at things is that the Hypalon dinghy will last 20 years with care. Would the PVC last 5 years with a proportional amount of care?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 14:20   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Could be your looking at used versus new or something. There is a price difference, but if you look at similar models and featuers, the price difference is nowhere near that great.

I have had both. With reasonable care, the PVC will last a very long time. The Hypalon longer. One of the best buys I ever made was a used Zodiac that I then used 7 years until I sold it with the boat I used it on.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 14:41   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Longevity depends on the intensity of UV where you're at. PVC dinghys rarely make it beyond 3 years, here in SW Florida.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 15:01   #4

Sorry, I should have said the Zodiac was PVC. Location was Southern CA. Dinghy was out in the sun unprotected full time. I loved the orange color. Wish it was still in vogue.

George
Bob Seger
Old 31-08-2006, 17:37   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Having lived in Marina Del Rey & here in North Fort Myers .... I'm astounded at the differences. One thing that most don't consider is that we're 300 miles further South here. The difference in UV is amazing.
I will be moving to Fort lauderdale soon to become the manager of a store selling nothing but inflatables. During the job interview, the owner mentioned that we will not sell any PVC dinghys .... due to the fact that they just don't last here .... made me very happy! :-)
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:02   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
The difference between a PVC dinghy and one made of Hypalon is more than just the quality of the materials. As far as I know PVC has no advantage over Hypalon other than cost. So manufacturers using PVC are doing so to create a low-cost product. They are unlikely to also invest additional cost in the manufacturing process. So IMO PVC dinghies are not as well made as ones of Hypalon.
That said, if you're not using the PVC dinghy in the sub-tropics or further south, and you make a cover for it you should get a number of years of good service.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 13:33   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
My last zodiac lasted 20 years before the UV degradation killed it. I decided to aid the replacement with a canvas cover:
Old 02-09-2006, 04:48   #8

One difference in PVC and Hypalon material is that PVC can be “welded” while Hypalon is glued. That allows for stronger seams and a lower cost manufacturing process. Lower cost and stronger seams are an advantage. UV resistance is only one consideration in buying a dinghy.

I believe PVC is easier to patch successfully under cruising conditions than Hypalon. At least my success rate is higher.

Adding a chap or cover to PVC will extend its life. Of course that reduces its cost advantage.

It’s not that I’m an advocate of PVC, as I stated in an earlier post, I have had both. I am dissatisfied with neither. Both are fine. My dinghy failures have always been the result of hot or sharp objects, not wear or UV.

Talbot: Beautiful cover. Did you make it yourself? Is it Sunbrella?

George
Bob Seger
Old 02-09-2006, 06:30   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Cover is made from Sunbrella. I worked with an upholstery and boat cover business to get what I wanted, and was very pleased with the result. cost abt 25% of the cost of the dinghy, so it has to extend the life of the dinghy by that same amount!

I will do it again anyway as it helps to prevent splinters puncturing the PVC and reduces the problem of sitting on hot PVC.
Old 09-09-2006, 18:54   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
A 1998 vinatage West Marine, PVC dinghy came with my boat. It was folded and stored in it's carry case. Some time went by before I inflated it. I found that the 2 part, glued seam joining the floor to the cushions had failed completely. So far, it's been two trips to West Marine for tubes of their PVC glue and I can't get the glue to hold the floor on. It glues up OK and fails when I use it.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 14:30   #11

Boat: 1998 Beneteau 352, 35', "Obsession"
Hello fellow cruisers!

Hi:

This is my first post to this site. Last fall the First Mate and I bought a '98 Beneteau 352 as our first boat - part of a plan to transition gracefully (wishful thinking?) into retirement. The P.O. named her "Obsession" but we are contemplating changing that - not sure what we like better yet. We keep the boat at Rock Hall, MD and are beginning to cruise the Chesapeake. We are enjoying the beauty and challenges of sailing, and the camradarie of fellow sailors.
I have been reading other posts for valuable insights and information for some months and find there is no substitute for the actual on-the-water experiences of the members. These posts are a treasure trove!

Dave in PA
Dave Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 07:47   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi folks.

I wondered if anyone had any updated thoughts on this old question?

I am thinking of PVC with sunbrella tube covers. That would stop the UV degridation, wouldn't it?

Theres a good deal for Hypalon in the Caribbean but 'Lil Dink is in extreme difficulties and I am here at anchor liking to use it every day for the next 1 1/2 months. I really don't think she will last. I am now pumping her up every 3 hours day and night!

The PVC dinks here are about the same price as Hypalon in the Carib so its not like I can just more the purchase forward...

Talbot covered his Zodiac in 2006 - but thats not PVC its a special fabric.

Has anyone covered PVC with good results?

Thanks.

Gotta go pump the dink...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:23   #13

Boat: CT54
We did not have good results with our PVC dinghy...mostly because dinghy chaps (sunbrella) does not last forever. Sun and chafe will do in sunbrella in short order. After about a year and a half they were shot. Not too long afIter that the PVC started going. If you can afford to replace the chaps every few years then great.
Also would suggest you use the heaviest sunbrella available...I believe that would help quite a bit.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:39   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
I purchased my dingy (Hypalon) one year ago in Cape Town South Africa whilst my neighbour purchased a PVC dingy at the same time. The one noticable difference despite the fact that his is covered and mine is not, is that he has to pump his dingy up more often than I do mine. I'm not sure if it's because the PVC swells more in the heat than Hypalon? Apparently one has to be very careful with the chemicals you use to keep Hypalon dingy's clean as it causes delamination.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:55   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
pvc willl last 5 yrs. covered or uncovered, it seems..is what has been found here in our neighborhood, where the weather is supposed to be perfect yr round..LOL.... hypalon will last 20 or more depending on where and how is used.
i have found that even protected, the seams give out on the pvc dinks i have seen and cant be fixed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote