Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 14:34   #1

PVC Glued Inflatables in Florida?

How would an economy priced ($500) roll up glued PVC dinghy hold up in South Florida heat & humidity? It would be kept out of the sun 99% of its life, so don't worry about UV.

I live in a trawler on the hook. And i have a 14ft fiberglass twin vee cc skiff with a 50hp, that is currently both my fishing vessel and shore tender. I also have an inflatable paddleboard if i need to sneak to shore (somewhere close) that i can't leave my skiff. As things currently stand, this setup suits my needs.

However, I bought my trawler a year ago and it came with a 5hp Lehr propane outboard and a Saturn roll up. Well the dinghy was coming apart at the seems and leaking the first time i put it in the water, so i junked it. For a year that outboard sat, until i gave it a pull yesterday and it started right up! Unfortunately it appears these Lehrs aren't too valuable on the resale market. So i'm just pondering whether it would be worth buying another cheap roll up inflatable to keep for use in some niche situations.

However if the heat and humidity is just going to kill the glue seams, even while its rolled up in the shade, then i might as well just sell the outboard for peanuts and be done with it. Anybody with 1st hand experience on the topic?

These 3 look like theyd fit my requirements of light, stowable, and $500 or less. Unfortunately it's Saturn, so I'm wary.

https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk396.asp

https://www.boatstogo.com/9.6-cheap-inflatable-boats-cb290.asp

https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-catamaran-nc290.asp
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 16:06   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: PVC Glued Inflatables in Florida?

I’m cranky because I’m dealing with a slow leaking expensive name brand dink. Seems to me they are all made with with water dissolvable “glue” in the same factory in China. Maybe $2000 or more will get you something that lasts, I spent $1200 and my “Name Brand” leaks like a fifty dollar Walmart pool toy. The aluminum floor just makes it sink more efficiently.
My recommendation is a hard dink or a cheap (intentionally)disposable deflatable.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 16:32   #3

Re: PVC Glued Inflatables in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
My recommendation is a hard dink or a cheap (intentionally)disposable deflatable.
Yes we are in agreement. I'm prejudiced against inflatables as well, so naturally my main tender is hard. Only reason I'm considering an inflatable as a backup is because it has to be light enough to manhandle solo and collapse to stow. I would prefer even cheaper (since i expect to use it rarely). But $500 is about the cheapest I can find that can take a small 5hp.
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, inflatable