Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 12:51   #1
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Putting Our New Dinghy Together

Been a dogs age since I bought a dingy. I sold our boat and small dingy, ordered a much bigger boat and needed a bigger dingy.
I recently married an absolute angel, took on her outstanding kids, and need to up-size for my new bigger crew.

I asked around what's a good inflatable that will give me the least problems?
Everyone I know with inflatables told me for the small ones it's Achilles.
I got online and everyone concurred. "Spend the extra $$ you won't regret it."

So I got the best price I could find online, and was able to beat it at a shop in Ventura Harbor. Crackheads inflatables.
It came in a small box, but was straight forward in inflation and set-up.
Researching, I found the more you spend on a dingy,, the better quality, conveniences and features they have. Ya really get what you pay for IMHO.

It was tempting to spend the $600 on the cheap-o internet Avon,, but owners all mentioned "if ya have the extra cash, put in in the dingy and skimp on the motor size if you have to."

They all make quality BIG inflatables,, the only good small inflatable is Achilles" I heard over and over again.

It came in a bag-in-a-box:

Inflated to 3 psi with the electric pump in a few minutes, I topped off the 8 psi "high pressure" floor with a really quality foot pump that came with it.

I was blindsided that putting your CF numbers on and sticker is a PITA with Hypalon fabric. Hypalon is like Teflon, nothing sticks to it.
The license plate kinda dealio people have been using has been banned by Homeland Security I was told over and over again.
Damfino that's what "they" told me.
They're kinda clunky and goofy anyway, let's try something else.

So I got back online and found a few old jaspers back east that had some tips that really came in handy.
"Ya use the Krylon Fusion Paint, stencils, but skuff the area gently first with some fine emery cloth, clean with Acetone, then most important of all, heat the spot with a blow dryer, then spray the Fusion type paint on super thin. Thick it will loose it's adhesion,, the trick is good prep, and a thin coat of paint, let it dry hard for 24 hours"

I ordered a stencil online with our CF numbers.

Had to use a special resin to glue on our CF sticker holder.
Took over a day to set.

I searched outboard motors.
I wanted something that was lightweight and powerful.
The wife insisted it be quiet.

The biggest complaint with the Suzuki 6 HP which for 2011 is also the Yamama 6HP is they are noisy. Annoyingly LOUD we hear.

So the Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke took the nod beause is is way quieter,, and way way cheaper.
I ordered it blind online after I seached a bit, and a place in Tenn had a one day sale if ya buy the Nissan version. It was $200 cheaper than the exact-same Tohatsu ($580 cheaper than the Zuki and Yamaha), free shipping, no sales tax, and it come complete ready to run. Gastank and line, tool kit, extra parts,, all ya do is add the oil.

I jumped on it and it arrived a couple days later.

So I needed to build a stand to service and run the outboard on.
My son hadn't used his backyard Fort in a few years, and he said fine, convert it into a Outboard motor running stand:

The remains of his fort. ^
Turned into an outboard running stand:

Then the kids added some paint and decals:

Hung the outboard and added the 15oz of oil to the crank:

Then, first time start-up:

Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Putting our new Dingy together:

So am I right in thinking your a Happy Chappy......
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy