Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 15:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

PRopane problems

Got my horizontal propane tank refilled. Installed it and attempt to make instant coffee. Open close switch that controls the safety valve mounted near the tank on top of the the boat did not sound normal. Much less loudness to open close of switch. Small amount of gas only available at stove. Amount of gas that would normally sit in line between safety switch and stove. Then no gas, no air flowing at all. Removed safety switch at the tank and connected lines direct to stove. Stove working but with a little more powerful stream of gas. Starting burner on a cold stove and the flame is acting erratically. Way powerful flow gas or normal flow of gas. Ring any bells with anything one? Too much pressure from in tank? Got a ribeye I,d like to cook for supper. Thanks for any comments.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forumhttps://news.google.com/articles/CCAiC3VNaGg2cjFvUFBRmAEB?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 15:31   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: PRopane problems

Couple thoughts:

1. Does it have an OPD valve (I don't think the horizontal mount ones do). If it does, try turning off the tank, disconnecting the hose, reconnecting, then turning it back on. I have had issues with the OPD anti-leak system activating which only gives a trickle of gas out from the tank. The process I mentioned should reset this.
2. How old is the regulator? They aren't a big deal to replace, and do not last forever.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 15:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the comment. I,m going out for dinner tonight. It could be the rgulator. I seem to remember the last time I filled it the operator tried to tell me something in Spanish and I think it math have been about the age of the regulator. Can the full tank of gas be saved?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forumhttps://news.google.com/articles/CCAiC3VNaGg2cjFvUFBRmAEB?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
Old 17-11-2018, 15:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Of course it can. Just close main valve and replace the regulator. Can I do that or expert only.

Old 17-11-2018, 15:42   #5

regulator. Buy two, they dont last.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 15:44   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

You can easily. Just be sure to use the correct type of thread sealant that works with propane on the fittings and test the connections afterwards under pressure with some soapy water.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 16:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the advice. The grill won,t run either. These are indicators. Out to dinner. Tomorrow is another day. Will try regulator. Hav a good night.

Old 17-11-2018, 22:26   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

Another thing about the OPDs is you need to open them slowly or else they activate and no fuel comes through. I had this issue and might not have figured it out without someone's suggestion.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 23:38   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Another thing about the OPDs is you need to open them slowly or else they activate and no fuel comes through. I had this issue and might not have figured it out without someone's suggestion.
Doesn't have to be an OPD. My horizontal tank is not OPD, but one of the first things in the hose hookup is one of those too much flow detectors, kind of like a check ball. Open the valve quickly to a depressurized line and no flow.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:08   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

AKA excess flow control, check valve prevents full tank's worth escaping all at once if something blows downstream
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:13   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post

+++ You need to open the valve VERRRRY slowly.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane