Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 09:12   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Portabote Rowing

Last summer I bought a 10' Portabote. I don't have an outboard so obviously I row it. I didn't use it much but I can see that the sides have a bit of discoloration from stress. The oarlocks go into some smallish blocks that are rivited to the sides. The torsion then works against the sides.

At Annapolis I asked the Portabote lady about this she said that the boats were more meant to be power driven than rowed and that you really shouldn't put your back into it when rowing.

The dingy (nor yacht) is not local so I don't have it in front of me but I kinda had the idea that you should be able to make a bracket that would fit the side of the boat and better distribute the torsion so you COULD put your back into it. Some kind of alternative way to fit the oarlocks.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how have you dealt with it? It would be neat if there was some aftermarket solution.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 14:13   #2

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
We have had ours for about 9 years and the only problem we have had rowing has been the rivets that hold the "oar lock" in place have broken. We drilled them all out,
added a 3"x4" backing plate to the outside of the boat and bolted them on.
Still using it that way.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote