Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 05:43   #196

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
inside or outside the lifelines? have a pic of your method SUP mount method ?

Thanks
Outside. O'Reilly has a good point about boarding waves, so common sense is important.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:13   #197

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
inside or outside the lifelines? have a pic of your method SUP mount method ?

Thanks
My modus, before we sold it - hull forward, gear bag aft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PortaStow.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	213139   Click image for larger version

Name:	PortaBag.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	213140  

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:01   #198
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We carry ours inside the lifelines, tucked tightly between the jerry cans and the cabintop doghouse, and secured well with lines so it can't go anywhere.

We have very narrow side decks. There isn't hardly room to walk there anyhow and on the port side of the deck we typically walk up on the doghouse when going forward. If one were to walk on the side deck even when it was clear of jerrys and the bote they would have to seriously duck under the shrouds anyhow in that area amidships.

I am not too worried about greenwater and taking on a wave in rough seas as the jerry cans and the bote pretty much make up a solid mass from the cabin out to the lifelines. I shove a few small fenders between the cabin and the bote at the head hatch to keep a tiny gap so we can crack the port just slightly for ventilation. The port opens outwards and without the fenders shoved in there to maintain a small gap we can't even open it.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 08:35   #199

Boat: Rafiki 37

Here's our arrangement. We use the port side, which is where we store spare jerry cans. This keeps the stbd side completely free. But even with the cans and portabote, the port side is still pretty easy to traverse.

But obviously not all boats have wide side decks like ours. In fact, on my previous boat I had narrow side decks. Similar to you BlackHeron, we basically had to walk up on the cabin to get forward. With the portabote stored on the side deck it basically blocked one side completely. Not ideal, but you do what you can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0347.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	213150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0289.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	213151  

Old 18-04-2020, 09:36   #200
Senior Cruiser

We tow ours whenever we aren't offshore, and lately the only offshore we have been doing is short day-hops in good weather so we have been towing it then too. A longer run like around the Jersey Shore would be on deck unless the weather was very extremely good and glass calm, and even so we have never towed it there yet.

We can't hardly feel it back there on our speed or fuel consumption numbers. Maybe a quarter knot, if that much. With a 43hp engine on a 35' monohull we rarely go much over half throttle anyhow even when motorsailing and still do 6-6.5 knots. We can do 7-7.5 without being at full throttle and our hull speed is around 7.2 by the calculations. So plenty of spare horses here. Our fuek consumption is pretty low, like 0.75gph on average.

Towing the bote is probably better for the engine by putting some load on it Without adding up all the numbers we've towed it at least 4-5k the last year. The time it has spent on deck is in the NY canals and in the locks on the St. Lawrence. Also other locks like through the Dismal swamp a couple of times and when we parked our boat at marinas a few weeks when we were travelling on road trips. But for the most part we tow it everywhere else. We very, very seldom are at a marina, preferring being on the hook.

As for towing, we usually motorsail and the engine is just barely in gear if the conditions dont merit full sailing. That's still quite a bit of thrust even at idle. We idle at 3knots minimum speed, and if we want/need to go slower than that (like in the Dismal Swamp with wall to wall duckweed hiding all the deadheads) we need to keep popping it in and out of neutral.

When pulled up nice and tight the bote tows so well we almost forget it is back there. If it fell off we wouldn't even notice. We always tow with two lines, the backup going to one of the aft grommets instead of the tow bridal just in case.

Someone caught us motoring only on the ICW and uploaded to our marinetraffic page

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/pho...shipid:5254872
Old 18-04-2020, 20:23   #201

Boat: Tartan 28

I currently lash it to the stanchions, but only at the top, with a bungy on the bottom so that it will give way a little if a wave hits.

I was just asking about the SUP mounts because I’ve often thought about better ways that might be easier to deal with.

I tow ours about 10 feet off the stern with two lines like a bridle, if we’ve had it out and are only moving short distances. I can tell it knocks about .5 to 1kt off if we are in light winds. If we have good wind then no difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BAAB19C3-8873-4265-93C1-13422083B1EB.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	213187  
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:13   #202

Hi, I got here looking for reviews of PB. I'm not a sailor, I just did some sea kayaking in NZ and AU. But I bought a holiday home on a island in the middle of a Finnish Lake. The distance to cover on water it's about 2 km. It could be pretty windy up there but I don't have to put the boat in the water if the weather is bad.
Main reason I'm looking at PB is that I'm going to drive a campervan with 3 dogs (total weight 100kg) for 2,300 km to get there and a PB could ride on the top of the van and I'm not so sure dogs and inflatables could go along well.
What would you advise?
Darknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:56   #203

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknoid View Post
Hi, I got here looking for reviews of PB. I'm not a sailor, I just did some sea kayaking in NZ and AU. But I bought a holiday home on a island in the middle of a Finnish Lake. The distance to cover on water it's about 2 km. It could be pretty windy up there but I don't have to put the boat in the water if the weather is bad.
Main reason I'm looking at PB is that I'm going to drive a campervan with 3 dogs (total weight 100kg) for 2,300 km to get there and a PB could ride on the top of the van and I'm not so sure dogs and inflatables could go along well.
What would you advise?
How big's your mother ship? Or is it just a cabin? If you don't have to carry it on a bigger boat the question gets easier.

You'll find that the PB will laugh at stuff which would kill an inflatable. Dogs will do just fine, and the weight isn't an issue if it's just you, for a 10' bote.

A 6HP on a 10', with 100kg of dog and similar weight person and gear will easily take you on a dry ride at 15 knots.

Essentially it's what we used all over the Bahamas, where there were lots of sharp rock points to injure fiberglass or worse an inflatable bottom, as well as it's being light enough to pull up fully on shore rather than deal with an anchor.

Of course you don't have tides to worry about on a lake but still...

One of the not-quite-new ones with the drop in transom will easily handle the 6HP, whether 2 or 4 stroke. Not so much the newer folding transoms; I have yet to see anyone who's not either had to downsize their motor or very substantially beef up the stress points on the self-store transoms...

Depending on topography and what you mean by windy (e.g., 15 knots with hills around your travel line will not be of any issue, either from windage of the bote or from fetch with waves) you should do just fine. One of the very nice things about a PB is its flexibility, and it will ride over chop more comfortably, albeit with lots of flexing, than a fiberglass inflatable or even a soft-bottom inflatable.

If you don't mind a bit of dirt, the dogs will have NO negative impact on the bote.

Should be a great choice.

If you are rowing it, windage is an issue, as there's lots of freeboard and you're not very heavy. A motor, particularly for the distance, is recommended. In calm weather you could row it but it will take a while
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 10:04   #204

Thank You. I'll have to carry the boat back and forth from Austria to Finland on the roof of a camper van. I'll use the house only during summer months.
The area is this:

Name:	Honkaluoto Is. 38.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	217764
There're no hills around. I'll need the PB to carry groceries and drinking water to the house from the parking lot.
I'll probably have to use an electric motor even if the previous owner had a RIB.
Old 20-06-2020, 10:15   #205

Boat: Rival 36

I use a Torqeedo electric outboard with a Portabote with no problem. Sounds like a good solution for you.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:31   #206

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
What would you advise?

I have a 8' porta-bote & 2.5 hp Suzuki 4 stroke, and I think a porta-bote will serve you well. (boat & outboard are less than 100 lb. combined) Dog's claws are no problem at all - the hull material is practically indestructible. With 3 dogs, and 2 people an 8' would be workable, but a 10' would allow a little more elbow room & cargo capacity. They are a little pricey initially, but, IMO, well worth the outlay. I believe mine will outlive me, and factoring the cost over the lifespan of the porta-bote - it's really not expensive. The boats are fast with very little horsepower, and have a huge carrying volume within the hull. They're tough, and easily stored. I'd buy mine again in a second. Good luck whatever you choose.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:59   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmartin View Post
I use a Torqeedo electric outboard with a Portabote with no problem. Sounds like a good solution for you.
Thanks! I looked at the range and I think the Travel 1000 C will do.
Old 20-06-2020, 12:03   #208
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Thank You. I'll have to carry the boat back and forth from Austria to Finland on the roof of a camper van. I'll use the house only during summer months.
The area is this:
Attachment 217764
There're no hills around. I'll need the PB to carry groceries and drinking water to the house from the parking lot.
I'll probably have to use an electric motor even if the previous owner had a RIB.
Very nice. Is the house off-grid? What types and sizes of electrical generation are you using?
Old 20-06-2020, 12:03   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I have a 8' porta-bote & 2.5 hp Suzuki 4 stroke, and I think a porta-bote will serve you well. (boat & outboard are less than 100 lb. combined) Dog's claws are no problem at all - the hull material is practically indestructible. With 3 dogs, and 2 people an 8' would be workable, but a 10' would allow a little more elbow room & cargo capacity. They are a little pricey initially, but, IMO, well worth the outlay. I believe mine will outlive me, and factoring the cost over the lifespan of the porta-bote - it's really not expensive. The boats are fast with very little horsepower, and have a huge carrying volume within the hull. They're tough, and easily stored. I'd buy mine again in a second. Good luck whatever you choose.
Yes, I also think the 10' will do the job.
Old 20-06-2020, 12:38   #210
Senior Cruiser

The USCG capacity plate for the 10' boat states 3 passengers or 385lbs with a total of 517lbs passengers, motor and gear and 2HP max.

Many people ignore this, but that is the official capacity using the USCG equations for the safety limits.