Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 16:09   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Porpoising dinghy

I’ve just got my new dinghy an AB Navigo 12vs. I had a 13’ Avon Adventure, but it became too old and frail. Unfortunately I am not happy with the new one. It’s a real step backwards. It has a rock hard ride, is wet and worst of all, it porpoises. It’s even slower despite being much lighter.

I tried raising the engine, a Suzuki 30 to the max and that helped a little. I have power tilt, but the tilt makes it worse. Putting weight and bodies at the bow doesn’t help, neither does altering the speed. It will porpoise whatever I do.

I can see now, too late, it has a really flat hull shape, little draft and little deadrise. That possibly explains the hard ride and maybe the porpoising too I wonder.

Any ideas?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 16:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Porpoising dinghy

Proposing is usually caused by the engine being tilted too high, raising the bow too much, lower the engine and usually the proposing goes away.
Your power tilt, before you get on plane, the engine should be all the way down, then after getting on plane, raise the engine until just before the prop ventilates, the Boat proposes or the bow rides too high, lower the engine before high speed maneuvering like turning around towing skiers or the prop may ventilate in the turn.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 16:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Proposing is usually caused by the engine being tilted too high, raising the bow too much, lower the engine and usually the proposing goes away.
Your power tilt, before you get on plane, the engine should be all the way down, then after getting on plane, raise the engine until just before the prop ventilates, the Boat proposes or the bow rides too high, lower the engine before high speed maneuvering like turning around towing skiers or the prop may ventilate in the turn.
Minimum tilt works best, but it still porpoises badly and alternates between ploughing the nose and slowing down and bouncing up. If I want to ride a mad bucking bronco then I put the tilt on.
Old 15-02-2018, 17:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

By chance do you have the correct engine length? What does that model of dink call for, 20”?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 17:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Porpoising dinghy

According to their spec your 10hp over the recommended engine.. so you'd need the 20" shaft I guess.

Overall length
12' / 3,66m
Overall Beam
6’ / 1.82m
Inside Length
8' 9" / 2,67m
Inside Beam
2' 9" / 0,84m
Tube Diameter
18" / 0,46m
Number of Chambers
3+1
Person Capacity
Weight
202lbs / 92kg
Recommended HP
20hp / 14,9kw
Maximum HP
30hp / 22,4kw
Shaft length Option 1
15" / 38,1cm
Shaft length Option 2
20" / 50,8cm

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 18:00   #6

This dink comes in a short and long shaft version. I have the long version and the long engine.

I think the fact that the dink can do a short shaft with the normal transom is a sign of its shallow hull. This might be part of the problem.

Engine power isn’t an issue. It porpoises on half or less throttle as certainly as with full power.
Old 15-02-2018, 18:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Porpoising dinghy

Talk to the dealer who sold it to you.. even better take him out in it and let him try.. or have you moved on since then.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 18:15   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post

Engine power isn’t an issue. It porpoises on half or less throttle as certainly as with full power.

Power maybe not, but what about engine weight?

Is this a tiller steered engine? Are you sitting in the back as well?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 03:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Talk to the dealer who sold it to you.. even better take him out in it and let him try.. or have you moved on since then.
I did. He agrees there is a problem. He will talk to AB for me. No response after 10 days. I’m probably going to be fudged and fuddled I fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Power maybe not, but what about engine weight?

Is this a tiller steered engine? Are you sitting in the back as well?
It has a jockey console, with a wheel. Located centrally with fuel under the wheel. So the weight is already a little forwards compared to usual. The Suzuki motor is 70kg. Super light and outstandingly good by the way.
Old 16-02-2018, 03:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

I note they recommend 20 but say maximum 30. I wonder if it's all just too much power and too heavy. Power tilt doesn't come without a fair weight penalty.

My dinghy is nearly 1 metre longer and it's rated for a max of 30, but that's PVC and it needs the power. I would have thought a 20hp on a glass bottom of that length would be more than enough.

70kg's is not light. My 30hp is 52 kg's.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I note they recommend 20 but say maximum 30. I wonder if it's all just too much power and too heavy. Power tilt doesn't come without a fair weight penalty.

My dinghy is nearly 1 metre longer and it's rated for a max of 30, but that's PVC and it needs the power. I would have thought a 20hp on a glass bottom of that length would be more than enough.

70kg's is not light. My 30hp is 52 kg's.
A 4 stroke power trim with starter will be normally 80kg plus in 30hp. Relative to other comparable engines it is light. The weight anyway doesn't seem to make much difference. 18kg more than the minimum for an engine is not a big impact compared to passengers. If I have 3 people (250kg) then the problems are still there no matter where I place the weight.

I could make do with 20hp for sure, but I have tried using less power by using less throttle and simulating how it would be with say 15hp and again, it makes little difference.

This boat would be happy with maybe 10 to 15hp with just one person. For 3 or 4 it really needs 30hp.
Old 16-02-2018, 05:41   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Look into using Dole Fins, by Davis. Website says from 5hp and up, including outdrives and outboards with powertrim/tilt. Solved the issues when I had an overpowered Caribe RIB.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Look into using Dole Fins, by Davis. Website says from 5hp and up, including outdrives and outboards with powertrim/tilt. Solved the issues when I had an overpowered Caribe RIB.
I thought those fins were really about getting you on the plane fast?
Old 16-02-2018, 05:53   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

It does, but it also stabilized the ride and ended the porpoising that occurred. It went from totally unsafe to controllable.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
It does, but it also stabilized the ride and ended the porpoising that occurred. It went from totally unsafe to controllable.
Thanks. I wonder if there are other people with experiences like that?

I did wonder if I could jack the lower bolts back a bit to put more nose down thrust to try to improve things.

Tags
dinghy