Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2007, 08:02   #1

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
'Pool Toy' Dinghy?

I need a dinghy, a cheap inflatable dinghy. One that I can store folded up below deck on my small little 21 foot boat. I can't afford to pay the 500+ for a good inflatable at the moment so I was thinking, just temporarily, for use in mostly calm waters, would one of the sevylor or intex inflatable boats be good enough for a year or two of use getting me to docks, beaches, and just exploring around in areas where I can't seem to get the sailboat?

I'll keep my eye out for a cheap older "good" inflatable, but I really don't think I'll find anything serviceable in my price range.

If you guys have any other suggestions to brands or other things to look for, or even other types of dinghys I'd appreciate it. I really think inflatable is the only thing I could fit on here though. Folding, nesting, and hard would all be either too big to store, or too small to have any kind of carrying capacity.

Thanks
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 08:09   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
We used the Seylors to run lite rivers in Montana for two years. It was cheap and held together. When it sprung a leak we got rid of it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 08:15   #3

Boat: C&C 27
Years ago I used one on my Catalina. Just keep away from pilings.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 08:17   #4

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Check out some inflatable Kayaks. There are some decent ones between 150-250. If thats too high go with the Intex. Inflatable Kayaks paddle decently.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 09:34   #5

I'm sure the inflatable kayaks would be better, but I'm looking for something that'll hold a bit of cargo, or 3-4 people. All kayaks I've seen are 2 people only, and if I wanted to get more than one other person on or off my boat I'd have to make several trips. My first instinct was just to get a 20-30 dollar one from wal-mart, but even though I used to have one of those to play around in and it lasted a while, I know it wouldn't last long under serious use. I have to wonder if they could be made to row better by hanging a skeg from the back, or something.

I suppose another idea would be to get two two-person inflatable kayaks. not only would I have a backup, but I could transport 4 people at a time and it wouldn't leave all the work of paddling for 4 people to just one or two people. Any opinions on this?
Old 19-12-2007, 10:28   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Years ago I used one on my Catalina. Just keep away from pilings.
...and rocks..and barnacles...and windvane parts...and galvanized anchor chain...and locker contents...

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 12:58   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Check Craig's List or eBay. Just a suggestion.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 13:53   #8

The whitewater rafting folks call these "K-Mart coffins"
captpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 14:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
A couple of years ago, I bought a "4 person' dinghy from Costco. It may be a seylor - it had an option of getting a transom and could use an electric outboard. It is still nicely bundled up with attachments, oars, bellows type air pump. Fits in a small space. Got it for the same reason you want it .. sort of an emergency cheap type thing to fill a gap if my dink got ... misplaced - which I hope never ever happens again. 9' 4" sailing Boston Whalers are not easy to find!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 20:50   #10

I checked craigslist, and will continue to. Ebay is near useless these days unless you know EXACTLY what you are looking for, still looked, but didn't find anything. I'm looking at the sevylor k79 tahiti or k330 fiji two person kayaks now. Probably won't make a purchase anytime very soon, I'll try to just make do with things I've got for now. I've got two hard plastic kayaks which may work for now. They'll be unwieldy and I might find the only way I can transport them with the boat is by towing, but just moving around bays and the ICW, that might be fine for now. But they will be practically useless for transporting people since they are each only one person kayaks.
Old 20-12-2007, 00:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
We used the Seylors to run lite rivers in Montana for two years. It was cheap and held together. When it sprung a leak we got rid of it.
Google requires correct spelling. Ie: “Sevylor” inflatables (Stearns Inc.)
Goto:
Sevylor - Watersports and recreation products including inflatable products, such as kayaks, boats, and towables

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 05:08   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
I need a dinghy, a cheap inflatable dinghy. One that I can store folded up below deck on my small little 21 foot boat. I can't afford to pay the 500+ for a good inflatable at the moment so I was thinking, just temporarily, for use in mostly calm waters, would one of the sevylor or intex inflatable boats be good enough for a year or two of use getting me to docks, beaches, and just exploring around in areas where I can't seem to get the sailboat?

I'll keep my eye out for a cheap older "good" inflatable, but I really don't think I'll find anything serviceable in my price range.

If you guys have any other suggestions to brands or other things to look for, or even other types of dinghys I'd appreciate it. I really think inflatable is the only thing I could fit on here though. Folding, nesting, and hard would all be either too big to store, or too small to have any kind of carrying capacity.

Thanks

Awww.... crap. I just sold my 10' Achilles on eBay. I would have given you the dinghy if this was posted before I sold it. Isn't there another well-to-do sailor on here who has an old dinghy or something they can donate?

I know Sluissa wouldn't ask anyone for one, but hey... it's his first sailboat.

I know when I first started out, older guys in my area donated charts, a dinghy, a yacht club mooring and expertise that was invaluable.

Everybody on here should think hard and see if anyone knows of an old inflatable they want to upgrade or of one sitting in the marina or garage or something.

Maybe Sluissa could pay shipping on it, if someone were to donate one?

Just a thought. I'd rather see the guy safe and not tooling around in a pool toy if possible.

PS: Sluissa - don't worry about having to fold the dinghy and have it fit on your boat. If you find a hard dinghy, just tow it. That's what I did on my first boat and even on my 2nd. You won't be breaking any speed records in your boat (due to LOA), so don't worry about losing speed towing the dinghy. The convenience of a good dinghy is far better than the knot or knot and a half you'll lose towing a good, hard shell rowing dinghy. Also, if you are not getting an outboard, forget the inflatable. They don't row for crap. Get a hard shell dinghy built for rowing with a keel or sailing dinghy you can sail with and row with.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 06:44   #13

That sucks, sorry I didn't mention this earlier I guess. I'm not asking for any handouts, I'd pay shipping, and a reasonable amount for the boat(up to what I can afford at least). I have had people give me stuff before and while I appreciate it, and use it, I ALWAYS feel really really guilty afterwards.

As for towing. I'm not against it as a rule, at least in relatively calm waters, but I really just don't like the way it looks. I know that sounds a bit shallow and picky and might insult some people who do tow their dinghys, and I"m sorry, it's your choice. I'd just prefer not to tow if I could absolutely avoid it. Hell, in most cases I probably won't even need a dinghy. I can get close enough to most beaches to just wade there, at least in times other than winter. I'll really only need it for the winter, for transporting people who aren't as happy about getting wet as I am, and for transporting large amounts of cargo. Not that I"ll have that much cargo anyway.

I guess if towing a hard dinghy is the best way though, I could go back to my original plan of building one. I might just buy a cheap wal-mart dinghy when I realize I"ll need one. It's not an immediate need, just a, "I realize I'll probably come upon a time when I will need one at some point in the relatively near future."

Thanks everyone.
Old 20-12-2007, 07:39   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
That sucks, sorry I didn't mention this earlier I guess. I'm not asking for any handouts, I'd pay shipping, and a reasonable amount for the boat(up to what I can afford at least). I have had people give me stuff before and while I appreciate it, and use it, I ALWAYS feel really really guilty afterwards.

I didn't think you would ever ask anyone. That's why I brought it up.
When I first got started, older sailors (mostly friends parents and such) gave me a bunch of stuff that helped me to be more safe and have a better experience. Those items helped plant the root of a life long love affair with sailing. I was maybe 19? 20? I sure didn't have enough money to "do it right" and I was looking at the pool toys myself.

It's something I'll never forget, and something I try to pass on when I can. As a matter of fact... let me see if I have any other "stuff" I can dig up for you. I have all sorts of chart plotting tools: Dividers, parallel rules, etc... as well as a few other tidbits here and there I can list off and ship to you if you would like.

So anyway, guilt isn't necessary. I was handed down things to help me start and now it's my duty to hand things down to others who are starting out (and are young and not well financed yet to pay for all the expensive boat stuff). If you accept the donattions, but never become greedy and remember to donate to another younger sailor in 20 years time or whenever, it all evens out.

To degrade the thread a little - I think the fact that people don't do this kind of thing anymore and are so damn greedy is one of the main problems we have in this country/world.

So Sluissa: Let me look into my storage for items I haven't eBayed yet and I'll make a list and PM it to you. If there is anything you would like, it's yours. You just pay shipping.

I have a hard shell rowing dinghy kicking around in CT, but I don't see any way to get that to you. It's been rotting away (figuratively speaking) at a marina there for about 5 yrs.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 10:59   #15

Boat: Catalina 30
sliissa,
If you consider building one, did you see the other threads on building dinghys? some good links to places for (sometimes) free plans with lots of different styles..you likely know of them..it not, advise I'm sure people will reply with some great links
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote