Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 11:07   #1
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pewag security chains

Our biggest "chain security" requirement has usually been keeping the ladder secured to the yard fence over the winter, so a heavy "motorcycle" chain from the big box store has been good enough.

But last week I got educated. Real "security" chain for expensive motorcycles and other things is made by a company called Pewag, here in the US. Their main product is commercial "traction chains" i.e. tire chains, which get ground down by pavement. So they made a better mousetrap.

Pewag chain is available in up to 12mm diameter. The links are made from BAR stock instead of rod stock, and they are hardened to a Brinell 62, hard enough so you will break ordinary bolt cutters if you try to cut it. Obviously the 12 (or 10) mm chain is damned heavy stuff, and expensive, but for dingy security and similar uses?

Where have you been all my life?? pewag, Inc. - USA

Available from them in bulk, available from many places in short lengths, some with heavy fabric covers and similarly robust locks, for motorcycles, but quite suitable for dinghies. No one is cutting this chain without making a scene.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30   #2

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop
Re: Pewag security chains

Cool product. What about corrosion? Hardened and tool steels usually rust quickly. The security chain is electro-galvanized, not hot dipped, so I wonder.

Most people seem to use cables on their dinghy, with the plastic cover, just for ease of use. They're not very secure, but I suppose if we left the dinghy overnight in a sketch area, chain might be worth it.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:17   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

the advent of inexpensive battery powered angle grinders has meant that such chain will not deter serious thieves, even in third world areas. Stainless cable or light galvo chain will take care of casual folks for the most part. We've used 3/16 inch galvanized chain for dinghy security for years... and it is part of the dinghy anchoring system too! Such chain will defeat the pocket size wire cutters that are easy to hide, and which will cut through old life line wire easily (a common source of dinghy security cable).

Don't forget to run whatever you use through the outboard handles too. Mostly the motor is what they want, not the dink.

Jim
Old 12-03-2018, 13:25   #4

I had about a half dozen bikes while we lived in NYC. Not leaving them on the street is the only way to avoid it. Suppose the same goes for leaving dinks in the water.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:50   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

martin-
The the light duty and short length of a dink chain, if rust was an issue I'd ask a chroming shop to throw it in the next round (not so expensive if you're not particular about when and how) or just generously use a can of cold zinc paint and then a topcoat.
Angle grinders will cut through anything. And there are slower quieter hand tools that will do the same. But this kind of chain will slow 'em down, and the grinder is a bit of a noisy prominent show, like a four foot long spark trail on something like this. Twice, since they have to cut a gap, they can't just unbend it.
Some things, like Master locks, can be picked by a schoolgirl. Some things make the job a little harder, and unless you've got a very tempting dink with a contract on it...they might just say "Let's steal the next one."
Cost of a good chain and padlock? Both are still less than the sales tax or shipping on a new dink! Not to mention, all the swimming back and forth until it arrives.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security