Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2023, 04:06   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Paint & Glue for inflatable available in EU?

Hi,

I just tried to purchase some two part PVC glue from Polymarine (www.polymarine.com) as well as some of their Superflex paint for a RIB with PVC tubes.

Turns out that once more I need an article which cannot be sent into the EU since new year onwards.
Even when I have proof that I have formal training and as such can be considered a "professional user".

So, I am wondering what alternative, in the EU (specifically Portugal) available products, I can use to reglue parts on a PVC inflatable and what paint I can use on it.
Of course I want the parts to hold up as well as with the two part glue from Polymarine.

Same applies to the paint.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 31-01-2023, 12:08   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Paint & Glue for inflatable available in EU?

An inflatable repair pro recently clued me in to using the solvent based glue made for PVC plumbing joints for gluing PVC on dinghies. There are (at least here in Oz) two grades provided in the local hardware stores: regular and high pressure. He used the high pressure version, along with its primer to glue a PVC keel guard onto our Al hull, and it was cheap and has been reliable so far. Then Ann and I used the same glue to stick strips of PVC material to which we'd sewn Velcro onto the tubes (attachment for new chaps) and that too has been a good application.

Method: clean area to be glued, then wipe with the primer (simply MEK I believe) and paint on a coat of the glue on each side of the join. Wait until it skins over and assemble with some pressure. Don't put a load on it for a while...

Cheap and simple... what's not to like?

Jim
Old 01-02-2023, 00:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
An inflatable repair pro recently clued me in to using the solvent based glue made for PVC plumbing joints for gluing PVC on dinghies. There are (at least here in Oz) two grades provided in the local hardware stores: regular and high pressure. He used the high pressure version, along with its primer to glue a PVC keel guard onto our Al hull, and it was cheap and has been reliable so far. Then Ann and I used the same glue to stick strips of PVC material to which we'd sewn Velcro onto the tubes (attachment for new chaps) and that too has been a good application.

Method: clean area to be glued, then wipe with the primer (simply MEK I believe) and paint on a coat of the glue on each side of the join. Wait until it skins over and assemble with some pressure. Don't put a load on it for a while...

Cheap and simple... what's not to like?

Jim
Thanks Jim, good thoughts, I'm off to the plumbing department today to see what they have.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:45   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

I just tried to purchase some two part PVC glue from Polymarine (www.polymarine.com) as well as some of their Superflex paint for a RIB with PVC tubes.

Turns out that once more I need an article which cannot be sent into the EU since new year onwards.
Even when I have proof that I have formal training and as such can be considered a "professional user".

So, I am wondering what alternative, in the EU (specifically Portugal) available products, I can use to reglue parts on a PVC inflatable and what paint I can use on it.
Of course I want the parts to hold up as well as with the two part glue from Polymarine.

Same applies to the paint.

Thanks for suggestions.
I have been using "Super Glue" to put patches on my PVC Zodiac, including the high pressure floor. For larger repairs (such as the bow-eye pad) I have used thickened G-Flex epoxy from West System.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:57   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

They have a German distributor, are they allowed to send within the EU?

https://www.schlauchbootreparatur.de/site/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
They have a German distributor, are they allowed to send within the EU?

https://www.schlauchbootreparatur.de/site/
I called them yesterday and they said they stopped selling the glue and had never sold the paint.
They said it has to do with the new EU regulation.

The distributor for Gibraltar said they can not sent the pain to Portugal and the Spanish one did not answer the phone.

But, I found a supplier.
Surprisingly enough www.svb.de is selling the glue and a similar paint by Veneziani.
Maybe they ordered enough before that new Reg came into play.
Apparently Coelan would work too.
At the plumbers they had only 1K glue, so I ordered everything from SVB.

So I got everything I need at last.
Work is progressing well, got all the old semi attached fittings off with the help of a heat gun and took the angle grinder to prep the hull repair.
Good to have a small generator, it's a real beach project...

Tags
inflatable, paint