Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 14:43   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Outboards are incredibly polluting - WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParL View Post
That depends on the local power systems. Sweden for example is almost all hydro and nuclear, with an increasing proportion of wind, and almost no fossil fuel. Other places have different systems, and there the main advantage of the grid power may be price.
That's right. Some countries have made tremendous progress with their power grids.

Finland will be 100% carbon free when Olkiluota III comes on line -- finally in September! That's the first EPR reactor in Europe -- the prototype of the Gen III+ reactors, to be followed by many more across Europe.

Denmark doesn't have any nuclear power (and because of that buys some coal-sourced power from Germany) but has huge wind and solar installations so is nonetheless 80% carbon-free. France is more than 91% carbon free, with 72% coming from nuclear.

Norway -- ironically, as one of the world's largest oil and gas producers -- is nearly 100% hydro, with some power bought in from Sweden. So approaching 100% carbon free. Norway is the electric car capital of the world -- more than 75% of new cars sold in Norway are electric.

What's interesting is that Finland and France have the cheapest electrical power in Europe, so cheap that in France houses are commonly heated with electrical resistance heat.

If you charge your electric dinghy motor from the grid in any of these countries (or live in them), you can feel pretty good about it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-07-2022, 14:46   #257

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
...and you need 20 hp? If you could give up planing in your dinghy you'd be able to get by with a 3HP equivalent electric. That would change the equation dramatically. Just a thought, not an argument.

All good if the only use for your dinghy is going 100 metres to shore

We use ours for loading up several months worth of supplies and have at times ran that 20nm back to the boat.
Cheaper than bringing the big boat across.

Currently have a 2 stroke 30hp wishing we had a 40hp
Old 04-07-2022, 16:38   #258
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The problem with over zealous or evangelical approach is that unless the reference is 100% accurate and applies in all possible scenarios it allows deniers to trash the argument.

Jimmy Carter pronounced during the 1970's oil crisis that the world would run out of oil in 2011. Despite increased consumption that didn't happen.

Another activist pronounced that 350 parts per million would be the tipping point for CO2, Brilliant the world will come to an end. Until it was pointed out that the current levels were 400.

Wood burning stoves may be net carbon neutral but do they pollute, hell yes.

The result a lack of credibility to the bigger picture.

The likes of Greta are are great at doom mongering but are unable to come up with practical, meaningful and economic solutions.

One of the worlds biggest cons and a massive contributor to pollution is the fashion industry. I personally do not buy new clothes until the ones I have are worn out. The worn out ones are repurposed as work clothes and subsequently as rags. My lifestyle allows me to get away with this. Less so if I worked in an bank. Necessary to be an "influencer" I think not.
Carter was basing his comments on the projected data at the time , IBM once said the world will only need 7 computers. People can’t foresee the future , major energy consumers implemented massive fuel efficiency measures , more exploration found new deposits etc.

Tipping point outcries are beloved of media , but real climate change scientists know the models predict all sorts of scenarios, most of which don’t lend them selves to simple explanations of the type tabloids understand.

Greta is a typical evangelist , these peoples role is to make a complex message simple and understandable. It’s not her role to find every solution

Practical meaningful and economic solutions are all well and good but ultimately we have a crisis on our hands and change will most likejy be abrupt and disconcerting
Old 04-07-2022, 17:46   #259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Practical meaningful and economic solutions are all well and good but ultimately we have a crisis on our hands and change will most likejy be abrupt and disconcerting

Another thread that has developed into a "climate crisis" debate?
Methinks it's time to close this one down like all the others where the usual suspects keep rehashing the same old arguments.
Old 04-07-2022, 18:09   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another thread that has developed into a "climate crisis" debate?
Methinks it's time to close this one down like all the others where the usual suspects keep rehashing the same old arguments.
But open long enough for some other usual suspects to pop up, with their fingers in their ears, going "Naa Naa I'm still not listening". We know that already, too.
Old 04-07-2022, 18:20   #261

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
But open long enough for some other usual suspects to pop up, with their fingers in their ears, going "Naa Naa I'm still not listening". We know that already, too.

Thanks, you make my point for me
Old 04-07-2022, 18:21   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thanks, you make my point for me

And thank you for coming out
Old 04-07-2022, 20:31   #263

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread has been closed due to the thread drift off into the political.

JPA Cate, moderator

Tags
outboard, poll