Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 09:09   #1

Outboard for Dinghy

I purchased a Achilles HB - 300FX and it says it can take a 6-10hp outboard engine standard length. But it recommends an 8HP engine.

From what I've seen the 8 and 9.8/9.9 outboards are the same engines with a different power head or carb on them.

We are going to cruise in Mexico and I've seen some people talk about waiting until they get to Mexico to purchase a new or newer 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. I've been debating on whether this is worth the effort or if we should just get a 4 stroke Yamaha in the states before leaving. If we get one we'll get the 9.8 Yamaha most likely.

I currently have a 3.5hp Tohatsu 2 stroke that is ancient, but could get us from the boat to shore until we nail down the dinghy.

Any thoughts on what to do here would be appreciated.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:17   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Outboard for Dinghy

The Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke is a great engine, but not available to buy new in tbe USA. Very easy to repair and maintain. In the States getting parts might require taking the Enduro old part to a good dealer to find a close enough match.

You will find the 2 stoke to weigh less than similar hp 4 stroke. The 4 stroke will burn less fuel, and off course have much lower emissions. The 2 stroke of course requires mixing oil into the gas.

If buying new I would go for the 9.9 go for your 300 RIB.

Your 3.5 Tohatsu will get you there very economically, but at low speeds.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
The Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke is a great engine, but not available to buy new in tbe USA. Very easy to repair and maintain. In the States getting parts might require taking the Enduro old part to a good dealer to find a close enough match.

You will find the 2 stoke to weigh less than similar hp 4 stroke. The 4 stroke will burn less fuel, and off course have much lower emissions. The 2 stroke of course requires mixing oil into the gas.

If buying new I would go for the 9.9 go for your 300 RIB.

Your 3.5 Tohatsu will get you there very economically, but at low speeds.
Are you saying you would get the 4 stroke or the 2 stroke 9.9HP from Yamaha?

I'm trying to figure out where I can get a quote/purchase a 2 stroke yamaha in Mexico, but haven't seen anything yet. Any recommendations?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I purchased a Achilles HB - 300FX and it says it can take a 6-10hp outboard engine standard length. But it recommends an 8HP engine.

From what I've seen the 8 and 9.8/9.9 outboards are the same engines with a different power head or carb on them.

We are going to cruise in Mexico and I've seen some people talk about waiting until they get to Mexico to purchase a new or newer 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. I've been debating on whether this is worth the effort or if we should just get a 4 stroke Yamaha in the states before leaving. If we get one we'll get the 9.8 Yamaha most likely.

I currently have a 3.5hp Tohatsu 2 stroke that is ancient, but could get us from the boat to shore until we nail down the dinghy.

Any thoughts on what to do here would be appreciated.
if the 3.5 tohatsu will do the job why spend the extra cruise kitty money.
Either way I would wait till Mexico and get a good used 9.8
Old 04-02-2019, 12:54   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If I were looking for a new engine for a 300 dinghy I would try for a 9.9 HP in either 2 or 4 stroke. I think you already figured out that the incremental hp versus an 8 hp comes at very small incremental cost. The 9.9 will put your 300 dinghy up on plane easily without seriously over powering the boat.

Regarding two stroke versus four stroke, that is a personal preference. There are pros to both 2 strokes and four strokes. I interpreted the original post as deciding between Yamaha 2 or 4 strokes;
Really can't go wrong with either Yamaha, just recognise the differences.

If saving 20 to 40 lbs of engine weight is important to your situation, go for the 2 stroke. If fuel economy and emissions are important go with the 4 stroke. If you want the confidence of a highly reliable engine when you start off on your journey get the new 4 stroke at home port. If your a up for negotiating a purchase in Spanish and don't mind waiting to sort out the engine, then go for the 2 stroke in Mexico.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The “Enduro” 8 HP weighs 28-29 kg, whereas the 9.9 HP weighs 38-40 kg, so NOT, IMHO, the same basic engine.
https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busi...s/enduro/25-8/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 13:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The “Enduro” 8 HP weighs 28-29 kg, whereas the 9.9 HP weighs 38-40 kg, so NOT, IMHO, the same basic engine.
https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busi...s/enduro/25-8/
Looks like the 4 stroke 8 and 9.9 both weigh 87lbs and there is a big difference betewen the 8hp and 9.9HP 2 stroke. The 9.9HP 2 stroke also weighs about 87lbs as well. The only difference is at the 8 hp mark which weighs significantly less. I guess if I'm going to get hte 9.9 you might as well go with the 4 stroke however, if you are going to get the 8hp the 2 stroke looks more attractive.
Old 04-02-2019, 13:33   #8

The Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke weighs 57lbs. Great little engines.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 14:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke weighs 57lbs. Great little engines.
Wow. That's incredibly light. May need to reevaluate the options here. Anyone know some place that sells Tohatsu in Ensenada?
Old 04-02-2019, 14:16   #10
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

After dealing with carburetor problems in both Mercury and Yamaha, my next outboard is going to be Suzuki EFI
Old 04-02-2019, 14:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
Wow. That's incredibly light. May need to reevaluate the options here. Anyone know some place that sells Tohatsu in Ensenada?
start a thread about it specifically where to get the motor you want in Mexico.
There are lots of members on here that cruise Mexico.
I'm sure a couple will chime in .

Tags
dinghy, outboard