Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 11:22   #1

Boat: Celestial 48
Opinions on WM RIB-310 Aluminum Dinghy

Have to get a dinghy to replace one that was stolen. Considering the West Marine RIB-310 with aluminum RIB hull, 10'2" long, hypalon. Anyone have or seen one of these in person? It is available in "white", where I would normally get a grey dinghy (not an option with this model), but not sure how white the white option really is. Any reviews of this dinghy by owners would be very much appreciated. BTW, looking mostly at West Marine as easiest to import to Mazatlan. Would really like the AB 9.5 AL, but price and lead time really work against that boat as on option.
Thanks
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:56   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Opinions on WM RIB-310 Aluminum Dinghy

I was impressed with the Highfield boats when I compared them to AB at the boat show">Miami Boat Show. The Classic 310 weighs less than the WM.

No experience with it, but it comes with a 10 year warranty.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:54   #3

I have a Highfield C310 with an aluminum bottom. Very satisfied after 2 years of use. My AB with fiberglass bottom started to deteriorate after 8 years
hmarkhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:06   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I don't have experience with WM inflatables, but I have had two Zodiac 310 RIBs. One was aluminum bottom; the other fiberglass. The aluminum one's hull was V-shaped--internally and externally. Made standing when the boat was pitching and rolling awkward. I'm not playing honcho here standing up and racing in the anchorage--this was at various dinghy docks and my boat, loading and unloading supplies. The fiberglass RIB was V-shaped externally, but internally it has a flat bottom. That is what you want--far more stable for you and your passengers.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:08   #5

Just say NO to WM inflatables.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
I don't have experience with WM inflatables, but I have had two Zodiac 310 RIBs. One was aluminum bottom; the other fiberglass. The aluminum one's hull was V-shaped--internally and externally. Made standing when the boat was pitching and rolling awkward. I'm not playing honcho here standing up and racing in the anchorage--this was at various dinghy docks and my boat, loading and unloading supplies. The fiberglass RIB was V-shaped externally, but internally it has a flat bottom. That is what you want--far more stable for you and your passengers.
Double hull vs. single hull is a feature not tied to any haul material. My current dinghy is single hull, and I agree that standing is awkward at best. And the admiral doesn't like it, hence, looking at new dinghies.....
Old 14-03-2016, 14:25   #7

The Highfield has a flat bottom internally.
hmarkhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:28   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Double hull vs. single hull is a feature not tied to any haul material. My current dinghy is single hull, and I agree that standing is awkward at best. And the admiral doesn't like it, hence, looking at new dinghies.....

Funny. I have a double floor Mercury and hate the added weight that comes with the flat floor models. If I had to do it again, I'd jump at a single floor.

Matt
Old 14-03-2016, 14:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Funny. I have a double floor Mercury and hate the added weight that comes with the flat floor models. If I had to do it again, I'd jump at a single floor.

Matt
That's exactly why I have a single floor. But, I'm now convinced/coerced that the comfort of a double floor is good and with aluminum, the weight difference is negligible at best. The Highfield C310 with double floor is 110lbs, my current single floor fiberglass is 8" shorter and weighs 105lbs.
Old 14-03-2016, 19:57   #10

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarkhoff View Post
The Highfield has a flat bottom internally.
Researched the Highfields. Look like a very nice option, much like the AB. The Highfield comes in both single hull (ultralight) and double hull (classic) versions. The double hull is of course heavier but gives you a flat dry floor.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:03   #11

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

I purchased a WM single floor fiberglas last year. the white is very white. my first one leaked and they replaced it no issues, but i did have the hassle of registering again. I fit it with a merc 15hp which is almost too heavy for it and need to add ballast to the bow to make it ride safer, but otherwise very happy.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:25   #12

Boat: 2002 Hunter 450/ 1987 Dehler 25

I was interested in the AB aluminum. Sales guy which impressed me with what he knew, he first asked where I would be using the RIB, I thought that odd. He explained that they were excited when they came on the market, but experienced big problems with the tubes separating from the hull due to heat. He said if it is up north no problem or if you keep it in the water all the time. The hull also gets really hot on bare feet. He would happily order me one, but I declined. I bought a 2015 AM at a BIG discount. The WM boats are enticing due to price, but if you look at reviews they appear to suck after limited use, they are Chinese made with no named manufacturer oversight, most reputable companies keep a quality control rep on site.
Dehler 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:06   #13

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Take a look at Defender's brand. I have one and very satisfied.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:27   #14

Highfield ultralight signal v floor
Ul 310. 10'5
Beam 5'7
97 lb
15 degree dead rise
Max Hp 15 short
Hypalon $3900
Pvc $2500

Classic double floor
Fl 310. 10.5
Beam 5'7
132lb
15 dead rise
15 hp
Hypalon $4314
Pvc $2900
I owned a Ul 340 for over a year. She was great but to big.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 16:17   #15

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Changing the Dingy subject to another type, “none inflatable”, I have a porta-boat about 11 years old I bought second hand 4 years ago in good repair. When I don't use it as a dingy, I use it to collect fresh water when at anchor and it is cleaned and stowed on deck, it is an easy way to fill my water tanks are empty with a double filtering system and a small pump connect with hose to get the flow started, then I let the siphon take over and turn off the pump.

Also I find as a dingy it is light easier to setup and row and more stable then a fiberglass dingy or inflatable to wind. I had a number (3) of rubber flat & V shaped bottom Zodiac’s from 12' to 15' all failed badly. Also good name brand 12 v electric air pumps fail after a few years as well.

I would never buy an inflatable again they can’t be trusted not to fail in warmer climates, plus they take up far too much room. Because a new porta-boats is expensive, I would buy another good used one again, but not the 14' models they are just too difficult to setup when folded.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, dinghy, rib