Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 20:39   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Opinions on nested dinghy kits?

I'm thinking about maybe building a nested sailing dinghy as an over-winter project, next year. I'm living less than a mile from a public access ramp into a reasonably-sized lake, but since I have no space for a boat and trailer, I thought that something I could carry on my car's roof rack might work.

Looking around, I see several alternatives:
  • Chesapeake Light Craft has its Eastport and Passagemaker prams
  • B&B Yacht Designs has its Spindrift designs
  • Nestaway Boats has its Nesting Pram, Clinker, and Trio 14 designs
  • Port Townsend Watercraft has its PT11 design

Does anyone here have any experience with sailing any of these?

With building them?

I'm looking for something that I could build in three or four months working evenings and weekends, could carry short distances at low speeds on a car roof, could sail on a 200 acre lake, and might someday use as a tender when I finally get a live aboard boat. (Most likely on Lake Superior, for the first year or two, then wherever.)
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:25   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Opinions on nested dinghy kits?

We built a Spindrift 9n a few years ago. Try everything you can to make it light.... I tried making it perfect and came out to 130 something pounds due to the extra fairing and other mishaps (overbuilt seating, transom and float chambers). We used it just a handful of times and sold it for a RIB. All in all, I had close to $1500 into it and sold it for $350.

Good luck,

Matt
Old 12-12-2016, 08:12   #3

Boat: Douglas 32

Jdege,
Look at the Danny Green Chameleon forum thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-156370.html
I built mine last summer. The stern is 50 lbs, the bow is 35 lbs. If you skipped fiberglassing the entire outside, and just tape the seams, you could probably get it 20 lbs lighter. Mine cost about $1000, mostly epoxy and glass supplies.
Just taping the seams would be strong enough for protected water sailing!
- Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:16   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm thinking about maybe building a nested sailing dinghy as an over-winter project, next year. I'm living less than a mile from a public access ramp into a reasonably-sized lake, but since I have no space for a boat and trailer, I thought that something I could carry on my car's roof rack might work.

Looking around, I see several alternatives:
  • Chesapeake Light Craft has its Eastport and Passagemaker prams
  • B&B Yacht Designs has its Spindrift designs
  • Nestaway Boats has its Nesting Pram, Clinker, and Trio 14 designs
  • Port Townsend Watercraft has its PT11 design

Does anyone here have any experience with sailing any of these?

With building them?

I'm looking for something that I could build in three or four months working evenings and weekends, could carry short distances at low speeds on a car roof, could sail on a 200 acre lake, and might someday use as a tender when I finally get a live aboard boat. (Most likely on Lake Superior, for the first year or two, then wherever.)

I've heard good things about Spindrifts.

Also Chameleon, but that's only plans, not a kit.

I'm going to build something soon. Probably a Chameleon but possibly a DIY folding dinghy.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:12   #5

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

The CLC designs and kits are excellent.

I built a PT11 several years ago and have been using it as a tender for cruising in the Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Cape Cod. It rides on top of the car for the 1700 mile trip and from Florida every year. It nests on beautifully on the deck of my ultra-light catamaran and tows effortlessly behind my 22' catboat.

I can't say enough good things about the PT11. It is hands down the best nesting solution I have seen. It is a high performance sailing dinghy and a joy to row. The Browns have put together a high quality kit and by far the best, most detailed instructions I have ever seen. I already had significant boat building experience under my belt when I built the PT11, but a novice could follow the instructions--more like a complete boat-building course--and emerge with a professional-quality build. It may be the most expensive of the options, but every bit of the PT11 is top-notch and to me the details are worth the price.
Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44   #6

I built a spindrift 10 and found the plans and help from them to be great. I had the same experience as the previous poster. I spent to much time fairing and ended up with a heavier boat than I should have. All that time spending trying to make it look perfect wasn't worth it because I beat it up pretty quickly with normal use beaching and getting it on and off the dock. Overall I like the boat a lot and enjoyed the process of making it. It was a lot more time consuming than I originally planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cfergu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I may have one for sale. Life changed, so I don't need it.

Currently in St Petersburg
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:45   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you get a kit/decide to build a nesting dink, you might wait until you truly need the nesting feature before you saw it into two pieces. As most commonly, one-piece dinks are a lot stiffer than 2-piece ones. Not that a good nesting dink won't be solid. And yeah, the PT11 is a good choice. Though I've not tried the others.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 21:49   #9

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Ran across another: Wave Dancer Yacht Design.

They sell plans and kits. Kits are CNC cut by CLC, but aren't CLC designs.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 22:02   #10

Boat: Cobbling one together

The PT11 sails like a kitty running from dobermans. Though the cost of the factory sailing package will leave claw marks in ya'. But with some scrounging, & a bit of DIY time, you can assemble something on the cheap, too.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10   #11

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I was also looking at the PT11 for some time until I decided to buy one instead. The nicest I could find was the 9ft clinker stem dinghy. It is a traditional looking little beauty.

New toy: 9ft nesting sailing dinghy - Page 4 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_121700.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	155294
Old 03-09-2017, 11:46   #12

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I have built and sailed the Spindrift from B&B Yachts. Great boat! The boat sails great and rows well. In fact sails well is an understatement. The boat is fast and great fun without being tender. A search on the B&B forum will show you some innovative ways to car top or otherwise transport a non-nesting dinghy, which would be my preference.

Lots of people who build the nestables end up not nesting them after they have used them for a while. The B&B nesters I have been on are plenty stiff, but people just find that after some experience they don't go to the effort to un-nest them. While I was rowing through the anchorage this morning a visiting yacht shared that same experience with their nester.

I did not have the high weight problem that some have reported above, but I have built a few boats and have some basic knowhow. I found the build instructions from B&B easy to follow - easy to complete a nice looking boat over the winter.

As it happens I sold the Spindrift several years ago, but have been thinking about building another.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Ran across another: Wave Dancer Yacht Design.

They sell plans and kits. Kits are CNC cut by CLC, but aren't CLC designs.
The Wave Dancew site is still up but owner has retired and is no longer offering kits or plans.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:29   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do not own one and have not built one…yet….but I want one!
So, take my comments below with a splash of saltwater.
I offer them because you asked for opinions, and we all have one of those.

The Port Townsend Watercraft PT11 design appeals to me for several reasons, one being aesthetics, as I like the lines, and prefer its shape to a pram shape.

More importantly, the several videos showing its performance under sail, while rowing, easy carry by hand to the water, ability to fit in a car or on a cabintop, light weight, stability in surf, stability when towed, ability to put together in the water, and obvious FUN sailing, have made it my first choice.

I encourage you (or anyone) to view the videos on Youtube. They sold me on it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ptwatercraft

There are many videos, showing the boat in use in a variety of conditions. I was impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ptwatercraft/videos

Here is just one of them:
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was also impressed by this video that shows the easy recovery after a capsize. Notice the flotation of the boat when it is on its side.

This type of dinghy is relatively expensive, and may not be the best choice for all sailors, especially if they want to carry many people to a boat or use a heavy outboard. But, I have an interest in a SAILING AND ROWING AND Nesting Dinghy (three things important for me), one that could be easily rowed, easily stowed, sails quickly, and is a beauty and fun. I think all of those things come together in the PT11 for me.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy