Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 06:18   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
older suzuki DT9.9 telltale hole or not?

I have an '84 Suzuki, and lately, and especially after replacing the impeller, Dec 2019, in addition to normal exhaust hole water stream, i am getting water coming out from the back of the power head. It appears to be a vertical tube next to spark plug holes. Water comes out the bottom of it. Bottom engine housing "cowling" has a drain hole where this water drains, but one time it got clogged with oxidized aluminum debris/engine paint chips and lower spark plug got flooded and I ended up limping back to the boat on one cylinder. I don't remember ever having a drain hose there but i know some Yamahas and suzukis have the extra drain hose from a nipple that comes out of the power head and some refer to it as telltale hole.

Is this normal behavior on an older suzuki?

I fear that with the engine being so old, aluminum power head is oxidized and water might be going places it was not mean to go. compression is still good and spark plugs look good when pulled for inspection. Starts on first pull, which i believe is a good indicator I dont have water in cylinders.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote