Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08   #1

OEM Fuel lines - Worth it?

We have a new to us Yamaha 6Hp outboard coming this spring and as new dinghy and OB owners (we are sailors with an inboard diesel) I've read varying opinions on fuel lines (from an external tank). Is it worth the hassle and expense of finding a yamaha fuel line or would a 3rd party brand be acceptable (and just require replacement more often)? What makes OEM that much better?
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:13   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: OEM Fuel lines - Worth it?

Nothing really except cleaner looks. Personally I would make my own with barbed fittings. That way you can always part one together, but they are more prone to air leaks. If you use oem the fittings can’t be re-used.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barold View Post
We have a new to us Yamaha 6Hp outboard coming this spring and as new dinghy and OB owners (we are sailors with an inboard diesel) I've read varying opinions on fuel lines (from an external tank). Is it worth the hassle and expense of finding a yamaha fuel line or would a 3rd party brand be acceptable (and just require replacement more often)? What makes OEM that much better?
If you use good A-1 or B-1 rated fuel hose that part should be fine.

I have occasionally had issues with the quick connect fittings working as they should from after-market suppliers. Some have leaked, some are a PITA to get latched.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:27   #4

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I bought a brand new Yamaha 2.5 horse 2stroke from a dealership and the rubber seal on the fuel Cap was already perished - had to find some nitrile rubber sheet from Clarks rubber and cut it out myself. So - wouldn't lose any sleep not using OEM fuel hoses.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 15:11   #5

Boat: Allweather 26

I have found the biggest problem with cheap aftermarket fuel lines are the primer bulbs. The bulbs don't pump well are hard to pump and fail to work at all. The Moeller ones are good though.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel