Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2009, 20:26   #1
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
New, Heavy Outboard - Where to Store it?

My old 29 lbs (13 Kg) Evinrude lived on a bracket attached to the stern-rail.

The new porky 4 stroke don't fit there. (48 lbs, 22 Kg)

Looking to attach it to the mast and lift and lower with the main halyard.
Any good ideas on how to attach to the mast?
Bracket with huge hose-clamps or any made for the purpose brakects?

Looking for ideas and or pictures...

Here is the mast and the foredeck:

Old 17-11-2009, 08:33   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Why not install those "fanny rails" to support yourself at the mast when working forward in a heavy sea? Then, you could simply place an outboard motor mount on them. If your lazarette is deep enough, or you don't mind the aroma of evaporating gasoline (even IF the carb is empty, it still stinks) you could offer it the protection and low center of gravity of a hanging locker amidships.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:59   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
in nautical circles, those "fanny rails" are often referred to as the "mast pulpit."
Old 17-11-2009, 09:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but talking about a "new, heavy outboard" -- our new (to us) boat has got a much bigger outboard than we are used to -- a 25hp 2-stroke weighing 115 pounds or 50 kilos. The boat has got powerful electric davits and currently the outboard is just left on the 3.4 meter Avon RIB in the davits.

We've been in quite rough weather with that setup (high winds, nearly 50 knots, but not such big seas so far), and it seems perfectly stable. But surely we would want the outboard off for any kind of passage, wouldn't we?

We had a teak pad mounted on the rail of our old boat for her (much smaller) outboard, which we lifted off with a little crane, block and tackle, before hoisting the dinghy with the (manual and much lighter) davits.

What kinds of arrangements would be appropriate for a setup like our new one? Any tips?

P.S. Don't use the term "fanny rails" in England. Someone is likely to fall in the water from laughing so hard.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Nice looking boat CSY Man.
I guess you could fab-up a bracket and fix it to the mast that would handle the new outboard...I'm not sure if it has to carry the weight...is it practical to fashion a chock that could support the leg...then the bracket on the mast would be primarily to hold it up right.
If that’s the case, you may get away with an easier attachment to the mast.
Having said that...22kg is a lot of mass to be jostled around.
Here is a pic of the boom vang bracket I just installed this summer...the fasteners are 6mm SS machine screws that I tapped into the mast, the bracket is from SS and powder coated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boom vang.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	11145  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 11:17   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
This might appear to be a flippant answer, but if it were me I'd trade the outboard in for a lighter one. It would solve many of your problems and be much easier to handle. Pretty boat, by the way.
regards,
Old 17-11-2009, 11:57   #7

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic
IMHO attaching the outboard to the mast would turn a one person job into a two person job, something I would be averse to.
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
in nautical circles, those "fanny rails" are often referred to as the "mast pulpit."
I guess we rotate in different circles of nautical. Now I want to know more of the British interpretation.
Old 17-11-2009, 19:23   #9

Quote:
but if it were me I'd trade the outboard in for a lighter one.
Did try out the Yammie 2.5 HP @ 37 lbs, but it was too lazy.
The only lighter 4 stroke would be the Suzuki @ 29 lbs, but a friend had nothing but problems with that one and not covered by the warranty...

Had lighter 2 stokes before, but tired of maintaining old engines that need more and more TLC..Sold one and gave the other one away.

This thread was not about what size or weight outboard I should buy, but rather how to store a 48 lbs 4 HP, 4 stroke?

Quote:
IMHO attaching the outboard to the mast would turn a one person job into a two person job, something I would be averse to.
Not a problem, we are usually at least 2 people on the boat anyway.
Wife has always been in the dink while I handed the motor down.
The new one however probably needs a halyard and a winch in anything but calm conditions for lowering and hoisting.

Considered davits for boat and motor, but decided against, therefore this thread.

Quote:
I guess you could fab-up a bracket and fix it to the mast that would handle the new outboard...I'm not sure if it has to carry the weight...is it practical to fashion a chock that could support the leg.
Yeah, the leg would lest on deck, but something, a bracket or whatever need to secure the rest of the engine while underway and in rough weather...A teack chock glued to the deck is the easy part, not sure about the bracket however, may have to have on made at a machine shop, but was hoping for a standard off the shelf type, but I guess not many folks attach their outboard to the mast.....?

Quote:
Why not install those "fanny rails" to support yourself at the mast when working forward in a heavy sea? Then, you could simply place an outboard motor mount on them. If your lazarette is deep enough, or you don't mind the aroma of evaporating gasoline (even IF the carb is empty, it still stinks) you could offer it the protection and low center of gravity of a hanging locker amidships.
Yeah, I have thought of the fanny bars on and off, probably should, but that is a bigger project than just taking the outboard for a sailing trip...

No lazarette and even if I had one and if it was deep enough, it would be a fire hazard storing a motor down there..Motor and tanks always stays outside.

The reason I can't hang the new outboard on the stern rail is that the Bimini top is so low that there is no room for the bigger motor, and no room to stand up and lift..Hard to do while standing on yer knees and with a bent back..It worked for the 29 lbs motor, but I won'e even try with the new one:

The bottom corner of the outboard bracket can be seen on the Stargboard side.

Old 17-11-2009, 22:46   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Sure could do with more pictures of your beautiful boat.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 04:43   #11

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
Would a lifting outboard motor bracket(the type used on trailerable sailboats) work on your transom?Up for storage and down for transfering to the dinghy.I have been thinking of this for my Mirage 25 which has a flat vertical transom.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 08:27   #12

Your outboard can also be stowed horizontally to lower its profile, COG, etc. Check your manual for the requirements (empty of fuel, which side down, etc.).
Old 18-11-2009, 13:02   #13

Quote:
Your outboard can also be stowed horizontally to lower its profile, COG, etc. Check your manual for the requirements (empty of fuel, which side down, etc.).
Yes it could be stored laying down, but will take less space up against the mast...I think.
Old 18-11-2009, 13:53   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Sure could do with more pictures of your beautiful boat.
Ain't she sweet. Had to put my shades on for that varnish
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsboat View Post
Would a lifting outboard motor bracket(the type used on trailerable sailboats) work on your transom?Up for storage and down for transfering to the dinghy.I have been thinking of this for my Mirage 25 which has a flat vertical transom.

Phil
That's what I would suggest. A small, rotating removable motor lift would fit nicely on that stern pulpit. The base plate for our system and others has a universal angling ability, so that the angle of the transom does not matter. It looks like there might be some room for a motor mount underneath your solar panels?

Tags
outboard