Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49   #1

Need to determine the make and model of a trailer

Hi All,
So I did what many suggested, and bought a day sailor to learn on. Now my troubles really begin, I know. I am trying to figure out what kind of trailer I have, it was built in 1973 or so and I have a VIN, but the Colorado department of motor vehicles has no clue what kind of trailer it is, so they will not register it for me. I have the title, and an old license plate, yet they still can't determine what the make and model of the trailer is. Any thoughts? I may just have the State Patrol come over and create a new title, but that doesn't solve the mystery of the make of the trailer and when I sell it it the future I will probably need that information.
Thanks,
Marty
MartinAither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Need to determine the make and model of a trailer

I had the same problem. Po info didn't help. Lucky for me it had been imported so traced it through RIV. I would think they could do the same through old plate number or serialnumber. Maybe try a diff registries office, not all employees are created equal. Someone with more exp or job fulfilment will look a little harder?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:33   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Need to determine the make and model of a trailer

I don't know about Colorado, but here in Cal, you could just register it Special Construction (SPCNS)
If you have the title, the make (or what the state thinks the make is) should be on it. CA DMV thinks our ketch is a FORMO, and I'm not about to open a can of worms, so that's what it is.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model