Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 08:37   #76

Re: Most manageable size outboard motor for dinghy

The dink and motor really depends on where your cruising. Before we did our first offshore sailing we were coastal cruising around the Vancouver waters. A 2 hp motor was plenty as we were in very protected Anchorages and never went any further than to shore for a walk.
When we did our first trip to Mexico we used the same engine but it was a compromise however it did the job. Later when we traveled to the South Pacific we purchased a Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke. It was the ticket, we could pack all our dive gear and really cover long distances with ease, our 2hp in these same conditions would not have been fun. We spent 2 years in the Mediterranean and the 2 hp was perfect as distances were all short, the non planning dinks tend to be wet if it's a bit blustery. When we crossed over to the Caribbean we sold the 2hp and bought a new Yamaha 15 Enduro 2 stroke and it's been excellent. Our distances are much longer here and the water can get quite choppy so the ability to plane is very important plus we dive so we pack some heavy loads.
So I guess the answer on what engine size is best depends a lot on where your cruising and how much your cruising. If we chose to coastal cruise or only cruise for short periods of time each year then I'd go back to the small engine. Otherwise your not going to beat a Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke, they are great motors and can be serviced anywhere in the world.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:41   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The dink and motor really depends on where your cruising. Before we did our first offshore sailing we were coastal cruising around the Vancouver waters. A 2 hp motor was plenty as we were in very protected Anchorages and never went any further than to shore for a walk.
When we did our first trip to Mexico we used the same engine but it was a compromise however it did the job. Later when we traveled to the South Pacific we purchased a Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke. It was the ticket, we could pack all our dive gear and really cover long distances with ease, our 2hp in these same conditions would not have been fun. We spent 2 years in the Mediterranean and the 2 hp was perfect as distances were all short, the non planning dinks tend to be wet if it's a bit blustery. When we crossed over to the Caribbean we sold the 2hp and bought a new Yamaha 15 Enduro 2 stroke and it's been excellent. Our distances are much longer here and the water can get quite choppy so the ability to plane is very important plus we dive so we pack some heavy loads.
So I guess the answer on what engine size is best depends a lot on where your cruising and how much your cruising. If we chose to coastal cruise or only cruise for short periods of time each year then I'd go back to the small engine. Otherwise your not going to beat a Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke, they are great motors and can be serviced anywhere in the world.

Everything is a compromise

A big motor is thirsty. This means you must carry addition gasoline on the yacht
dangerous ... some of the most deadly yacht accidents I know of were caused be stored gasoline
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 14:13   #78

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Most manageable size outboard motor for dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Also the 8 hp.class and perhaps smaller, I don’t know all the motors , output 12v dc when running

This is critical if you intend to illuminate, running lights , your tender at night to prevent being run down and to comply with the law

Not in this day of LED nav lights. I have a set for the dinghy that are brighter than the lights on the main boat and run from a set of C size batteries for weeks.
Old 22-02-2020, 15:21   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Everything is a compromise

A big motor is thirsty. This means you must carry addition gasoline on the yacht
dangerous ... some of the most deadly yacht accidents I know of were caused be stored gasoline
Sure I agree you have to be very safety conscious when cruising. It's very hard to get by without gasoline, especially if you carry a dive compressor with you as well of course as an outboard. We keep all our gas on deck so we can't get any fume build up. We all drive cars with much more gasoline in them, leave them in attached garages and underground parking and fires are a rarity even with people who are not endowed with much common sense are operating them. Gasoline on a yacht is no different if safely handled you should not have any issues. Propane is even more dangerous if mishandled.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:04   #80

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The worry over gas storage is a bit of a nonsense really. No-one worries about carrying petrol in their car, and you're probably more likely to have an electrical fire than one from correctly stored petrol.

I used to liked my Mercury/Marinier/Tohatsu 2.5 converted to a 3-3.5. It was light and would plane an air floor rib 1 up in calm conditions at 7.5knts. Add a second person, or any wind, and it was a wet experience, BUT it could be carried with one hand.

The Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke I have is altogether a much better motor. Will plane an air floor dinghy at 17knts with one person, or 12knts with two, but won't plane an aluminium floor RIB 2-up (RIBs have much less buoyancy and so weight is more important). At 26kg it is at the limit of what I can carry around and handle. So I can see why people want something lighter.

Someone mentioned the accessory sockets on outboards. On my Yamaha, this is 6-12v AC not DC.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, grass, motor, outboard, size