Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 08:39   #16

Re: Most manageable size outboard motor for dinghy

Just buy a crane. It's cheaper than a broken wrist and an outboard on the bottom of the sea. It's still a wrestle.
But for your rib I would definitely get a 15 hp if it's the same weight as your 9.9 HP.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:42   #17

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Years ago, congress created the EPA with dictatorial powers so the individual congressmen wouldn't be held accountable for unpopular laws and regulations.

The EPA created emission regulations that two stroke outboards cannot meet without computer controls. These are impractical for small outboards so the EPA in effect, outlawed small two stroke engines.

The emission standards haven't (yet) been applied to outboards already sold and in use and they haven't (yet) been applied to selling or purchasing used two stroke outboards.

There are some local laws banning them outright on certain lakes and waterways.

If you purchased used two stroke engines, you can still use them in most parts of the USA (for now).
Emissions came in in 2005 as I recall. Almost everything under 20-25 hp had to go 4 stroke. With DI you can avoid 4 stroke but that's only really practical over 20hp.

For size it depends on where you cruise. We have a 2.5HP lear on a 10' zodiac as a primary. But we also have an old 2.5 hp a stroke evinrude and a 6hp Nissan 4 stroke. Honestly if your lifting it yourself I think the Lear is as big as I'd want to go. Here on Long Island sound most dinghy rides are short and inside no wake zones so a larger outboard doesn't make much sense. We use the Nissan for trips around the mooring field and up the river when were not on the big boat.
Old 23-09-2016, 09:04   #18

We cruised for 14 years full time and have a 3.4 metre avon RIB. When in Asia and the Carib. we mostly used a 30 hp 2 stroke yamaha and it was wonderful. But even with a good crane there were times that outboard was a handfull.

Our ultimate solution was to have 2 outboards. We now have a Suzuki 2.5hp 4 stroke which is about the lightest outboard you can buy (and cheapest). The baby outboard is so easy to handle and cruising north west France with very short smooth water trips it has become our favourite.

The big outboard has its place and is more than capable of moving our Tayana 47 around in emergency and eats long runs...

My advice is to have both a big and small outboard..... and yet another backup.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:14   #19

I searched ebay and craigs list until I found a nice 15 horse 2 stroke. that's about the largest motor I can handle
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:31   #20

i would suggest that you go with the lightest outboard that will push your dinghy. 4 hp or even 2 hp. you say 6 hp is the maximum that you can lift? i assume that is in calm conditions. sooner or later you will have to lift that outboard in a dinghy that is bucking like a rodeo bronco. that's when you will be grateful for a light engine. dinghy speed isn't everything.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:33   #21

I have a 2 stroke 25 Yamaha 108 lb bought in USA used.very Hard to handle. But love it. Second a Yamaha 4 four stroke 37 lb. always cleaning the jets. Every 6 months. Third a torqeedo 2hp light as a feather very slow and loud. If I had to pick one only I would go with the 25.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:04   #22

I have always used a simpler 74lb mercury 15 hp 2 stroke.
Buy in the Bahamas. Cheaper. With your RIB you can go and explore and dive.
With 2-4hp it is a drag in my experience.

Winch it off the end of the mizzen boom.
If you do not have a ketch or long enough main boom ( pulleys rigged to the end of the boom ) you need a crane.

Otherwise 30lb Honda 2.3 hp.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:24   #23

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
I need to order an outboard motor today for my new Zodiac Cadet 310 Rib.

I would like a 8-9.9hp 4-stoke but I can't imagine how I am going to lift it.

Because of this, I am forced to purchase a smaller motor 6hp 4-stoke (57lb).

The 6hp would be the maximum I could lift in/out of the dinghy and onto the transom mount.

Any tips to manage a larger outboard without having to purchase a crane would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have a swimming platform? If so, it is usually about one foot from the water level.

Trick: Back up the dinghy to the platform. Tie it down in that position on both sides so that it does not move away. Tie the outboard with a safety rope to the boat to keep the outboard from going into the water in case you lose your balance and drop it overboard. Squat (do not bend to save you back) and grab the outboard. Then, stand up holding the motor using the strength of your legs only. Stand the motor up on the platform. The top of the outboard will be easy to grab from up on deck. Then, either let a mate pick it up to bring it on board using the squatting technique again or do it yourself by climbing on board while maintaining the outboard standing. If you are single handling, the later is a bit more tricky but a good sailor should have good sea legs... Voila.

I hope that this trick will be helpful to you.

Captain Denis
Captain Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:43   #24

Get two smaller outboards. Easier to lift individually and gives you redundancy.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:48   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Get two smaller outboards. Easier to lift individually and gives you redundancy.
Seriously?
Old 23-09-2016, 10:51   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

If you have a Life Sling tackle that will lift the outboard.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:10   #27

Boat: magna 43

I had exactly what you are thinking about. The Six was not too heavy to lift on the transom, but I did tie a light line and float on it when I was moving it. Better to have to dry it out than lose it. My son almost got in trouble when he got close to planning the dink in a marina. He was not quite fast enough but he was light and got close to speed. External fuel was nice and the motor worked beautifully
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Seriously?
You've never seen a boat with twin outboards before? I understand this is the most painfully obvious solution but I don't understand how it could be unfathomable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	131625  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 12:16   #29

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Topping lift?
Old 23-09-2016, 12:51   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

epic, we've been using our main halyard to lift the 15 hp o/b engines in all kinds of weather for over 30 yrs. It works fine. In settled conditions, Jim can do it by himself, but we've done it bouncing in 25 knots, when we left it too long. Make the life from amidships, where pitching is least, and walk the engine back to its mount on the pushpit. I do the hoisting, Jim does the walk back. Furthermore, I bet our 2 stroke 15 and your Mercury 9 weigh about the same. We have used old line for the lifting harness, but now have a tubular webbing harness that Jim sewed up in situ. Truly, it can be done.

Ann

Tags
dinghy, grass, motor, outboard, size