Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 18:13   #16

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Re: Mercury won't sell me the shop manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
In addition to all the sources for the OEM manual, Seloc Marine publishes some pretty good aftermarket service manuals that you can buy on-line or from any marine dealer.
Seloc Marine - Product Details [Book #1422]
I was not aware these existed. Thanks for the tip.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 18:19   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Take a look at the link below, I think it might help you.

Mercury Mariner 4 5 6 HP 4 Stroke Outboard Motor Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mari...14cdaa&vxp=mtr
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500 View Post
Oh please. Other than engines, how many consumer goods can you purchase a repair manual from the manufacturer for? How about zero. So, you want to fix your old school Chevy 350? Go out and purchase a Hanes manual. Please, be sure to notice that it isn't a Chevrolet manual. Why would an engine producer issue a manual to the public instructing the end user on how to repair the product when they have a repair network established to provide that service?

I don't know what industry you come from, but do you instruct your customers on the best practice to not require your service?
Marine products are a little bit different. You're not going to take your Chevy 350 to Johnston Atoll in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Anything that is designed for an ocean going vessel needs to be repairable by skilled, but not manufactured licensed, people worldwide.

If you sell products that don't fit that bill, they should be marked as such:

"Warning: This product is not designed to be repaired anywhere but in a handful of of service centers, primarily in the United States and Western Europe."
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:16   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They're super simple little engines. The owners manual should have the spec on valve adjustment. They might be shimmed anyway. You're trying to make this too hard. If you know outboards you'll never need a manual for these motors. It thought you were talking a V6 EFI you were trying to sort out or something.
Old 08-09-2013, 19:39   #20

Boat: csy 37

i've got the seloc book for my 1999 yamaha 3hp 2 stroke. came in real handy this summer. paid $5 for it at a flea market, but i know they're available at some marine stores and online.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Similarly, I went to my local Lowe's Home Improvement Center to buy a tap and die set. Guess what? They don't sell them any more, cuz you know, you don't need to fix that broken thing, just buy a new one!
If you need to buy taps, get them from Manhattan Supply Company (MSCdirect.com) The quality is far better than hardware store taps & the price is about the same.

If you need something quick, Try Brickman's hardware on the west side of first ave, just north of Houston. They've gotten me out of a jam several times. Since your handle is Delancy & you're in NYC, I figure that's probably near you.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Similarly, I went to my local Lowe's Home Improvement Center to buy a tap and die set. Guess what? They don't sell them any more, cuz you know, you don't need to fix that broken thing, just buy a new one!
No, they need the shelf space for the $1,500 sinks that they now try to peddle.

There's a higher profit margin selling high-end designer goods than the materials, tools and parts their customers really need.

It's all part of the circle of life for retailers. They start out serving their customers better so they grow big enough to go public. Then they hire executives and accountants who demand higher returns each quarter. These "experts" don't have a clue what the customers want. Eventually the cycle starts over with a competitor emerges who can serve the customer's needs better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 13:38   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I goggled mercury marine shop manuals and cane up with a few links pretty quick here in the states, good luck

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 13:48   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
...here in the states, good luck
Good point. I missed that the OP was in Canada. Many times the individual regions operate quite differently from each other, and even carry different products, so it is conceivable that the OP's problem is real there.

Anyway, should not be a problem getting one from the US.

And don't forget my earlier hint that a simple google search turned up a free electronic copy. $20 at Kinkos and you have a bound hard copy.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury, paracelle