Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2021, 14:44   #1

Boat: Southern cross 35
Manual request for Aries #5

Anyone have the pdf?

Thanks
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Manual request for Aries #5

Aries No 5 - Lift Up Vane Gear

Produced from 1981 - 1992. 2,500 sold. Complete break through in design. Has a 'sub frame' bolted to the stern or deck upon which the mainframe part of the Gear hinges on making it easy to swing the servo rudder up to vertical from deck level. The entire Vane Gear can be quickly removed leaving the sub frame in place.

Most installations were fitted to the transom with four mounting tubes of which the forward ends were bolted to the transom skin with universal brackets. The earlier brackets were a hard anodised ball and socket arrangement. Later ones were a stainless toggle design. If buying a Lift Up you may have to either shorten the tubes or buy longer ones to suit your transom angle. Spares still available standard rudder and coupling fits. Very strong. Hinge part between sub frame and main frame does not wear out.

Mounting Instructions for Aries Vane Gear
http://www.ariesvane.com/liftupinstallation.html

https://ariesvanegear.com/wp-content...structions.pdf
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Ar...ind%20Vane.pdf

Aries No 5 Parts Aries Lift Up Vane Gear Technical Illustration

Aries #4 ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post427069

Aries contact: Helen Franklin
6 Dunvegan Road, Penryn, TR10 8HJ. UK.
Phone: +44 (0)1326 377467
Fax: +44 (0)1326 378117
Email:ariesvane@googlemail.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:08   #3

That's about what I was able to find. Looks like the actual #5 manual is not on the internet. Oh well between the parts diagram and the info on Ariesvanegear.com should be able to figure it out. The vane is missing and I know it should be 6mil plywood but I'm unsure about the dimensions. I was able to find this info here on the cruisers forum.

"My vane is a three layer mahogany laminate 5mm thick. It is about 115mm long, 22mm wide at the base and 18mm at the top. No paint. Seems to work fine in moderate winds"

I wonder if this applies to all versions of the Aries? Or did they have different vane sizes between models.
Old 08-08-2021, 17:55   #4

I imagine the paragraph about the vane must have meant cm instead of mm. Otherwise that would be a very small vane!
Old 08-11-2021, 05:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Aries No 5 - Lift Up Vane Gear
Aries contact: Helen Franklin
6 Dunvegan Road, Penryn, TR10 8HJ. UK.
Phone: +44 (0)1326 377467
Fax: +44 (0)1326 378117
Email:ariesvane@googlemail.com
I am looking for parts for our Model 5 Aries and have attempted to contact Helen at the above address but haven't heard back from her.
Has anybody had recent experience in sourcing parts from her?
I have contacted the current producers in Amsterdam but they no longer support the UK made imperial vanes. I also learned they decided to convert to metric parts which creates major fit issues with thousands of older vanes like mine.
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNA View Post
I am looking for parts for our Model 5 Aries and have attempted to contact Helen at the above address but haven't heard back from her.
Has anybody had recent experience in sourcing parts from her?
I have contacted the current producers in Amsterdam but they no longer support the UK made imperial vanes. I also learned they decided to convert to metric parts which creates major fit issues with thousands of older vanes like mine.
What parts are you looking for? I have a brother who is a machinist. Perhaps he could make spares using my number 5 as a pattern.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephcrawl View Post
What parts are you looking for? I have a brother who is a machinist. Perhaps he could make spares using my number 5 as a pattern.

Thanks Joseph for the offer. I've since taken the vane apart and the forward tab, that the pendulum shaft passes through, is cracked all the way across.

There may be some technique to preheat and weld it but I would not have great confidence in it. The dynamic load of the water stream while sailing would result in the weld being in tension. Also the hard anodizing would not be there along the repair and would likely result in eventual corrosion along the weld.

I think its time to sell it to somebody needing parts to repair their Model 5 and move ahead to a hydraulic autopilot. Its a shame as I really liked using the Aries and could sleep soundly knowing the boat would not gibe whereas I can't say that about my autopilot.
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:20   #8

After buying a model 5 I received a free model 3. So I'm looking to sell the #5 it appears to be in good working order. The wooden vane is missing but is otherwise complete and moves smoothly. It was removed and garage kept for the last decade.

Tags
aries