Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 16:22   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Longevity of Dinghies

Hi,

I am on our second dinghy.

The first dinghy was not used as a cruising dinghy... we kept it near the water and used it for a run-about but it was not heavily used and we sold it about 5 years after purchase.

The second dinghy is the one we bought with the boat. Its a 1997 PVC Carib and I just cannot get it clean. Worse... 2 of the 3 air chambers lose air very quickly (over night). I have tried using soap and looking for the bubbles and whatnot but I am fed up and considering getting a new one.

This dinghy was used extensively for cruising by the previous owners and my question is: how long to can a dinghy be expected to last under average cruising utilization?

Thanks,

z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:36   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Longevity of Dinghies

Wasn't aware that Caribe made pvc dinks. I have an AB rib, hypalon, ten years old, used a lot and hard, still going strong. Sits in the Florida sun all summer and run up on beaches all winter.
Old 06-11-2013, 16:44   #3

My present AquaPro manufactured in China purchased in Aug 2008 is not doing well. There were 2 leaks from the get go, repaired and holding up fine. However the epoxied aluminum bottom has been corroding steadily. I suspect the aluminum was not properly prepared and painted. the front handle came off (replaced) and a second of the 4 side ones has had it's case crack open.

I am not expecting this to last more than 10 years total. AquaPro sold the license to a Chinese company and I attribute the poor performance to sub par manufacturing.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:03   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Inflatables dinghy's last about 10 years.

Hard dinghy's last about 35 years
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Porta Botes?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:35   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Porta Botes?
Porta Botes have been made for over 30 years, but I do not know anyone that has one that old.
They have a 10 year warranty
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:53   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Porta Botes have been made for over 30 years, but I do not know anyone that has one that old.
I think ours is going on 7 years now, although we aren't yet full-time cruisers. Next year we head out full-time, and the portabote will go with us.
Old 06-11-2013, 18:15   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Our hypalon dinghy is headed into its 16th year - most of which has been in the tropics - and it is fine. And we beat the living snot out of it in some pretty unforgiving conditions. Putting chaps on inflatable dinghies probably adds 10yrs to their life - really mitigates the sun, chafe and puncture issues. They also take away the "my dinghy is dirty" issue completely! PVC dinghies are not going to last long in heavy usage.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 18:35   #9

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I have a Airib rib built in 99 still goes great only a few punctures when my parents drove the the rib into shipwrecks.
Old 06-11-2013, 18:50   #10

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

We purchased our Avon 10RIB new way back in 1987 or 88. I had a couple of "gutchas" with it over the years. For example, I ripped one of the loops needed for a seat while I was dropping it into the water from the deck of my sailboat. Another time it got pinched between a dock ramp and the water during a tide change. Total repairs over 25 years ownership--$150 caused by my negligence.

I have to add air about every 10 days or so. Still going strong, I believe it is one of the best dinghies ever built. The thing even has a bilge...not deep but a bilge never the less which helps keep ones feet dry.

As I type, Mr. Dinghy rests comfortably in its chocks mounted to the bow of our shrink wrapped 40' powerboat. I believe its good for at least another 25 years

EDIT: Last year a member who lives in Ft. Lauderdale had the identical dinghy for sale advertised for $600 here in the forums. NOBODY WAS INTERESTED!!! I kick myself for not sending the guy a check and hauling it back to Massachusetts on my next Florida visit. OH--- his was 15 years old, used for 3 months and stored in a barn the remaining time!

Anyway, he lowered his price to $500, put an add in EBay and it immediately sold.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 19:05   #11

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

It depends. I've seen them fail in only 2 years. Our own dingy is an Aquapro (NZ Made one, the Chinese ones are not good!!, manufacture now back in NZ apparently ), 13 years old and abused the whole time. It's PVC. Where the dingy is used seems to be as much of an issue as how it is used. It's really common on most brands to have issues with the glued on bits in the tropics. Tried 3 different glues before we found one that worked ok. I bought a Takacat dingy as a spare - did not last a year! The Aquapro still going strong!
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 19:19   #12

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I crewed on a yacht on the East Coast with an old Zodiac of unknown age that required three crew to operate: one to steer, one to pump air in, one to bail water out. We were hoping somebody would steal it...
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 19:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

mine is 25 year old +, still going strong, one of the original double enders

lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 22:14   #14
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I’ve had 3 PVC ones since 2007-All were crap- the first one was a zodiac and after a few years had a leak i just could not find, the second was a cheap Chinese one that lasted a few more years (yellow) and fell apart-now I just bought a 3rd one - Chinese- 11 ft long-one- can’t seem to get the good ones “ Avon or Abs-“Hypolon ones in Greece or Turkey- so I buy these knowing there disposable after a few years- All of these together cost less than 1 good one, in fact I can buy one more to about even with the cost of a good one- All the cheap ones were designed well, but they used inferior glue I think and thinner material- In one way its not a bad idea, if one gets stolen I have not lost much-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinkful.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	69997   Click image for larger version

Name:	dink.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	69998  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:05   #15

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I bought a used one several years back (age unknown) had to redo the transome but all last yr it sat in the rack at the marina..I was at my local marina store and notice a can of somethingt that was to be used on a hyplon and thats what mine is...whats its purpose and is it recommend..btw mine is an acheles (sp)..In do plan on using it a lot in the upcommng months and summer...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote