Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 22:18   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Lehr Propane Outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I like the fuel management of small bottles... easy peasy to carry a spare and change when the bottle is empty and then replace the back up. Managing gasoline is a pain.. no gauge... and a mess and it smells awful...

The other gasoline problem is the ethanol which causes all manner of problems and requires fuel additives and something else to worry about, pay for and keep handy and add to the fuel... And since ethanol I have had ethanol related problems every summer. Even the Yamaha 4 stroke 8 didn't start after "professional" winterizing service... so it's back in the shop and I will bet the carb is messed up from the gas.

I'll have the two motors.... but will see how the 2.5 Lehr works out. I've heard good and bad things... but the concept is great.

Here we go!

Had my 2.5 for several years now. Still runs like a top, almost no maintenance, starts on the first pull every time, has run reliably for long periods of time with no trouble. I love it, there's no going back. A big 10 lb tank lasts a ridiculously long period of time.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 04:34   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
After 15 years in the oil industry working with propane and propylene, I find it absolutely staggering that anyone thinks propane is safer than petrol.
Sure propane is heavier than air and can settle in bilges and cause an explosion.

I find this less likely in a dinghy... pooling of escaped propane... possible but very unlikely.

Minaret...thank you for this report.

The maintenance issues with gasoline are now legion for OBs... it's expensive and annoying and smelly.

The 2.5 is small for my RIB... but once the 8 HP is back up and running unless the 2.5 is too slow... it won't be used much. But if it's a good performer... I may sell the Yamaha and get a newer larger propane OB to replace it. I suspect that OB makers will be offering propane models in the near future because of all the complaints.

I have no problem buying a few small disposable propane bottles. I assume the metal is recycled... As we are not cruising to remote locations... obtaining propane fuel is not an issue... considering how many people are using these things for their BBQs.

The reviews of the Lehr are not all positive... and I am not sure what the issues were and if they were remedied. The OB service guy I trust used to be a Lehr dealer and dropped the line telling me it would be unwise to get one and wait for Tonhatsu. Maybe for a Yamaha replacement??? We'll see. I'd love to be free of gasoline!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 07:08   #63

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Doesn't anyone here care about recycling?

I think Lehr is being unresponsible to offer an outboard motor for use with those 1lb green bombs. .........................
Seriously? "Unresponsible" ?

Lehr is in business to make a profit. The have seen a need and are responding to that need with a selection of products. It's the consumer who has the responsibility to use the product in a responsible manner.

We could apply your arguments to boats in general if we wanted to. Manufacturers are irresponsible (yes, that's how it is spelled) by manufacturing boats that use gasoline or diesel fuel to take people back and forth to places they don't really need to go.

I suggest you lighten up and go for a boat ride.
Old 13-05-2016, 11:19   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Seriously? "Unresponsible" ?

Lehr is in business to make a profit. The have seen a need and are responding to that need with a selection of products. It's the consumer who has the responsibility to use the product in a responsible manner.

We could apply your arguments to boats in general if we wanted to. Manufacturers are irresponsible (yes, that's how it is spelled) by manufacturing boats that use gasoline or diesel fuel to take people back and forth to places they don't really need to go.

I suggest you lighten up and go for a boat ride.
What he said.... recycling a metal gas bottle is more sensible that the mess that 2 stroke engines put into the atmosphere and all those plastic gas cans... and fuel spills.

WOW man you are kinda nuts.
Old 13-05-2016, 16:57   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonfla View Post
Thanks hopcar it was a small tank brand new ,when I opened the throttle full open the motor started to splutter so I back off and it picked up ? I ran it for 15 to 20 mins just to if it was a cold start problem but as I live in florida that should be an issue .
If the motor ran fine and then you put a brand new cylinder on it and it doesn't run right, try a different cylinder before you do anything else.
Old 14-05-2016, 06:45   #66

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Propane is perfectly safe and is guaranteed to never cause problems.

Really it is...

Boat explosion rocks marina - Sequim Gazette
The article doesn't explain why investigators "think" it was caused by the propane tank, but the following quote from the article suggests they may be barking up the wrong tree:
Quote:
The smell of gasoline was strong even hours after the explosion as port employees absorbed oil from the water with special cloths. Pillows, cushions, a table and a door were among the flotsam on the surface of the marina waters.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:47   #67

Boat: Vagabond 14

You blast a few boats apart... some of which have large gas tanks .... and what you will smell is gasoline.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:57   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Both propane and gasoline have the potential to explode. Both have to be stored and handled in similar ways.

If I had to deal with a spill, I'd rather deal with a propane spill than a gasoline spill.
Old 14-05-2016, 08:08   #69

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Only one boat was blown apart. Propane tanks mounted on deck, fuel tanks near the bilge. Sure the fuel will leak out from a sunken hull - slowly, so there will be a gas smell eventually, but I suggest a strong gasoline smell immediately following the explosion could indicate it was caused by gasoline.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 12:42   #70

Went to pick up the 2.5HP at WestMarine. Engine started but it would not stop... apparently the kill switch was faulty.

Got my money back... I need to re think this from this mfg. I hear Tonhatsu is coming out with propane engines.

Brought the 4 stroke 8 to a repair shop... waiting.

The connection hose was short and not easy to attach... but workable...
Old 15-05-2016, 14:24   #71

Quote:
Sure propane is heavier than air and can settle in bilges and cause an explosion.

Propane is stored under fairly high pressure. You can have an explosion without even needing a source of ignition. (Google BLEVE, boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion)

Propane can spill upwards, because it's under pressure. A propane spill is almost impossible to contain, because it vapourises so readily. Petrol will stay in the dinghy until you clean it out, propane will spread everywhere.

Handling a petrol spill is quite easy. Detergent and water. With a major propane leak your only option is to run, and hope that the propane doesn't find a spark before you're out of range.....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:27   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Only one boat was blown apart. Propane tanks mounted on deck, fuel tanks near the bilge. Sure the fuel will leak out from a sunken hull - slowly, so there will be a gas smell eventually, but I suggest a strong gasoline smell immediately following the explosion could indicate it was caused by gasoline.

Strange logic here. If there is a gasoline smell it's because there's unburnt gasoline. Lack of propane smell might suggest the propane was all consumed when it exploded.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:34   #73

Quote:
Went to pick up the 2.5HP at WestMarine. Engine started but it would not stop... apparently the kill switch was faulty.

Got my money back... ............
They wouldn't just replace the engine? That doesn't sound like WM.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:56   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
They wouldn't just replace the engine? That doesn't sound like WM.

The deal for me was: I needed the engine Saturday AM to get to the sailboat to do work and then pick up of 4stroke8hp Yamaha and bring it to a trusted mechanic near where I live.. far from where the motor was. THAT was a PITA...

WM did not have another motor available. They had ordered this one for me and told me another would take until Friday. My CCard was refunded. I went and got the Yamaha and drove back (1hr).... total time wasted 3.5hrs.

Mechanic will get right on the Yamaha and I will pick it up and PASS on the Lehr for the near term. Getting it was a back up stand by solution to not having a motor and having to wait 3 weeks to get the Yamaha fixed.

Today is now a week since I couldn't start the Yamaha. Let's see when the Yamaha is fixed.
Old 15-05-2016, 17:06   #75

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Lehr Propane Outboard?

I hate to tell you Sandero, but you will waste a lot more time fooling with the Yamaha. I know from personal experience. The carb jets are the size of fine hair and tiny crystals form in the fuel within weeks that stop them up. New carbs (2), ultrasonic cleaning (3), about $500 worth of repairs and I changed to a Lehr. Since then, no problems. You have to understand the differences and once you do, you operate it and it works.

Also, with all the gloom and doom about propane, maybe we better take our stoves out and get rid of our magma grills. Sure propane will explode, but you have to deal with it differently than gasoline just like you do for the systems for the stove. There are a lot of propane appliances on the market including thousands of propane grills on decks of houses. If you take proper precautions, it is as safe as gasoline. Just don't be stupid about how you store and handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, propane