Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 14:12   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 43
Re: Lehr Propane Outboard?

Thanks mate I'll try bleeding system
Simonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 15:25   #47

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

What about availability of propane outside of the United States? Would it be practical for cruising?

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 17:44   #48

Boat: Camano Troll

If I hadn't bought a 2 HP Honda just three years ago I would seriously consider the Lehr. One big advantage is not having to worry about the carb gumming up from disuse. It can be hard to know when the last use of the season occurs.

The other advantage is not having to carry and pour gasoline on a rocking boat. One cylinder in the engine and a spare on the dinghy and you're set.
Old 20-11-2014, 02:23   #49

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

What about availability of propane outside of the United States? Would it be practical for cruising?

Gil.

Propane is widely available throughout the Americas and beyond.

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:13   #50

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Propane is widely available throughout the Americas and beyond.
Yes and no.

First, outside the US, one gets varying mixtures of butane. I assume the Lehr can handle that. Second, while "propane" is widely used outside the US, getting access to it from a boat can be very difficult - you may spend an entire week traveling out of your way to get a propane refill. Third, many places can't fill your tank because of the fittings. Different countries have different propane adapters, so unless you carry a bunch around, even using local tanks can be a problem.

And if you do run out of propane, there are not going to be any/many cruisers who will/can let you borrow a gallon to get by.

In comparison, small pangas will sell you gasoline right at your boat in many places. We have yet to be in a place where gasoline was not sold basically right on the beach or even brought to your boat. We have cruised many places that have no propane at all for any price.

I don't know the fuel consumption of these, but if it is small enough and you can carry a couple of larger tanks, then propane can be planned and coordinated - just like everyone does with their cooking stoves and BBQ's. If it uses 20lbs every week or two, then you may have a lot of difficulties in some cruising grounds.

Edit: for some reason, I thought this thread was discussing the 15hp engine, but I just reread it and see it is the 2.5hp. I imagine a 2.5hp engine will run a long time on a 20lb tank. This could easily be planned and coordinated almost everywhere. I left the above in place anyway.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:43   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes and no.

First, outside the US, one gets varying mixtures of butane. I assume the Lehr can handle that. Second, while "propane" is widely used outside the US, getting access to it from a boat can be very difficult - you may spend an entire week traveling out of your way to get a propane refill. Third, many places can't fill your tank because of the fittings. Different countries have different propane adapters, so unless you carry a bunch around, even using local tanks can be a problem.

And if you do run out of propane, there are not going to be any/many cruisers who will/can let you borrow a gallon to get by.

In comparison, small pangas will sell you gasoline right at your boat in many places. We have yet to be in a place where gasoline was not sold basically right on the beach or even brought to your boat. We have cruised many places that have no propane at all for any price.

I don't know the fuel consumption of these, but if it is small enough and you can carry a couple of larger tanks, then propane can be planned and coordinated - just like everyone does with their cooking stoves and BBQ's. If it uses 20lbs every week or two, then you may have a lot of difficulties in some cruising grounds.

Edit: for some reason, I thought this thread was discussing the 15hp engine, but I just reread it and see it is the 2.5hp. I imagine a 2.5hp engine will run a long time on a 20lb tank. This could easily be planned and coordinated almost everywhere. I left the above in place anyway.

Mark
Clearly, a propane powered outboard motor will not be the best choice for everyone just as an electric outboard is not the best choice for everyone.

For someone cruising in areas where propane is available, someone taking short dinghy trips and someone not using the outboard every week or two, propane seems like a great option.

Cruising in third world countries, probably not a great option.
Old 20-11-2014, 05:53   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"I imagine a 2.5hp engine will run a long time on a 20lb tank."

Mark, you're right, the 2.5 will run about twenty hours on a twenty pound tank at WOT (Wide Open Throttle)

You can use that to calculate fuel burn for larger engines. Just divide the horse power of the engine by 2.5 and that's about how many pounds per hour the engine will burn at WOT. Remember most folks don't run at WOT all of the time so you'll get longer run times in the real world.

I've been told they will run on mixtures of up to 40% butane. I think you might have to richen the mixture as the butane content gets higher.
Old 13-04-2016, 10:29   #53

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

After years of struggling with my old Nissan/Tohatsu 5hp

I'm thinking of getting one. Besides Westmarine the nearest dealer to me is 50 miles away.

I asked them about repairs, they said they did some recall repairs on a few, but not many. They claim to be selling quite a few, but mostly short shaft.

Right now I have to drive across town, say 20 miles round trip for the Nissan. It will be a bear to haul it down to the other lake to get fixed. I wonder

I could get the Torqueedo instead, but I want range, and the electric wont give me that.
Old 12-05-2016, 18:42   #54

I like the fuel management of small bottles... easy peasy to carry a spare and change when the bottle is empty and then replace the back up. Managing gasoline is a pain.. no gauge... and a mess and it smells awful...

The other gasoline problem is the ethanol which causes all manner of problems and requires fuel additives and something else to worry about, pay for and keep handy and add to the fuel... And since ethanol I have had ethanol related problems every summer. Even the Yamaha 4 stroke 8 didn't start after "professional" winterizing service... so it's back in the shop and I will bet the carb is messed up from the gas.

I'll have the two motors.... but will see how the 2.5 Lehr works out. I've heard good and bad things... but the concept is great.

Here we go!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 19:26   #55

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Lehr Propane Outboard?

I bought a 5 HP Lehr in early 2014 while on a cruise in Florida and after struggling with carb issues with my Yamaha 4 HP4 stroke. I had the Yamaha for 10 years with no problem, just running the gas out of it each time. Then along came the ethanol and then I spent over $100 per year maintaining it and 3 weeks after it was fixed, it would be clogged again - using non-ethanol gas!

You have to get used to the Lehr and bleed the air out, but it is clean running, and just starts every time. I'd never go back to the Yamaha after having the Lehr.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:10   #56

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketsailor View Post
snipOne feature I really like is the fact that as it sits in the garage waiting for Spring it is not gumming up do to old fuel still in carberator.
I get the same result using TruFuel. On a small <3hp engine the price premium over gas is not an issue.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:29   #57

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
You can refill the 1 lb. bottles.

We had about a half a dozen, and just refilled them when we had our Lehr lawnmower.

We bought an adapter on Amazon.com that refilled them from a 20# propane tank. Really easy.

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

Yes and no.....

First of all I worked in a propane dealership for a bit over a year. Primary duty being the refilling of propane tanks. (which means I had to know which tanks were legal to refill and how to inspect the tanks)

It is legal to refill the "disposable" bottles.
In the USA it is against federal law to transport the refilled bottles on roads or waterways.

The disposable bottles are designed to withstand one cycle of being filled and depressurized. After that they may or may not survive a refill. So if you plan to refill DO NOT let the thing get below 10% full.

Of course this means, in the USA, you are illegal (subject to large fines and federal prison) if you refill and use the disposables for your boat's outboard.
Chances of getting caught are tiny... but in case of something going bad (the tank rupturing resulting in a fireball) I have no doubt they could figure out if the tank had been repeatedly refilled.

For the lawnmower... if it doesn't leave your own property, no laws will be broken.

However the reason for the law is that these little tanks simply are not designed for repeated refilling.

All of the disposable tanks sold in USA have a label saying its illegal to transport them after refilling.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:53   #58

After 15 years in the oil industry working with propane and propylene, I find it absolutely staggering that anyone thinks propane is safer than petrol.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 22:00   #59

Boat: Vagabond 14

Propane is perfectly safe and is guaranteed to never cause problems.

Really it is...

Boat explosion rocks marina - Sequim Gazette
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 22:15   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

Gil.

If only....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, propane