Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 11:44   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Lehr heads-up - screws seizing

Maybe I should blame myself but ....
Bought a new Lehr, ran it for maybe 2 hrs, mounted it on the rail and left it there.
Tried to use it on this years big trip .... the clamps that hold the outboard on the dinghy transom were seized solid. Busted the plastic levers and have now gotten the outboard off the rail. The clamping screws (minus their plastic levers) are so tight that it appears I have bent at least one.
Yes, I tried penetrating oil
There is a third adjusting screw, to tighten how easy the engine rotates ... well it is seized up as well. Managed to remove it (lever of course broke), oiled it but so far I have been unable to get it back in - it has a long pin and maybe it's not aligning correctly. I haven't spent too much time on it yet.

The point is, apparently the aluminum castings are reacting badly to the steel screws and corrosion products are jamming the works. I shudder to think what this means if the engine ever needs servicing

I would suggest that if you have a Lehr you somehow grease up those hand adjust bolts as well.

I have not fired the engine up so don't know if this corrosion is effecting other bits.

I have not run across this sort of thing before on my other outboards so I am quite concerned at this point.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, head