Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2023, 19:35   #16

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Leave outboard on Dinghy while underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
If you believe that a 50 or 60 foot boat can not have a dinghy in davits pooped then you have not been offshore in bad weather.

https://www.roblightbody.com/qe2-1995-freak-wave.html

Weather forecasts are good for 4, maybe 5 days. After that... it is a guess. If your idea of an "offshore passage" is 3 or 4 days, then sure, whatever. That's not an ocean crossing.

You can HOPE it will not happen to you, but "Hope is not a plan."
I don't think anyone has said they don't think it's possible.

Your example took place during a named hurricane, which supports my point about weather prediction. (And to be honest, if you're in 100ft breaking waves in a recreational boat, I'm not sure it's going to matter much where the dinghy is.)

Variable definitions of "offshore passage" was also my point. To you it clearly means an ocean crossing. To me it means being offshore for an extended period, which could include crossing to Bermuda, or crossing a significant portion of the Caribbean. Both of which can generally be done within a reliable weather forecast window.

Also, nobody said hope was the plan. But risk analysis is a thing.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 19:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Found his boat online, it's a 2001 Oyster 62.

Actually, the model series he has goes up to 300kg rating in their stock models, look up Cooney davits (Cooney bought Simpson). They also do custom/larger stuff not listed on their catalog. Not sure which he has, though the listing I found for his boat calls them Whittall davits, which may be the brand name before Simpson owned them? The listing claims that they have 1320lb capacity, which should be more than enough.

The 62 is a big boat, but with the babystay and inner forestay, I'm not sure the foredeck has the space for putting the dinghy up there. The listing shows a custom cover for the dinghy. The console should provide the bulk of the framing for the cover, but maybe add a couple additional supports, and that combined with how strong the davits are, it could probably take a wave without too much issue.
Just curious where all this info about davit and boat came from. OP has made exactly one post, and no information about where's he's located or what boat he has. Or what his tender weighs, or confirmed whether its actually a Simpson davit. Nothing. You seem to have a source for information including specifications for Simpson davits beyond what is stated on their own website. Just curious what you base your design/engineering specifications on given the lack of information. And contrary information on Simpsons website (if indeed the davit is a Simpsoj, which admittedly it appears sumilar).
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 20:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Just curious where all this info about davit and boat came from. OP has made exactly one post, and no information about where's he's located or what boat he has. Or what his tender weighs, or confirmed whether its actually a Simpson davit. Nothing. You seem to have a source for information including specifications for Simpson davits beyond what is stated on their own website. Just curious what you base your design/engineering specifications on given the lack of information. And contrary information on Simpsons website (if indeed the davit is a Simpsoj, which admittedly it appears sumilar).
Not sure what's confusing about finding a listing for his boat. I was pretty sure it was an Oyster from the shape of the transom and the cove stripe detail, and it's a twin helm with a walk through to the cockpit, and the name is in one of the pictures. A quick google later and I found a recent listing, which has the information I did state.

I have no idea what his dinghy weighs, never said I did.

Simpson davits are pretty distinctive, and as far as I know, nobody is making knockoffs. Again, a quick Google of Simpson davits brings you to this site.

https://www.cooneymarine.co.uk/simpsondavits

Which shows the different models and ratings within each model range. There is not really a lack of information out there.

I call them Simpson davits, even though Cooney owns the brand now. The listing mentioned Whittall, which again, I Googled, and I found photos of the early, traditional style of Simpson davits, which is why I speculated that it was a previous name of the Brand.

I have also seen, in person, a number of the larger Oysters, 70ft and up, that have davits that are clearly constructed like the Simpson product, but larger than what they have on their website. So I admit, I am speculating on the fact that they make products outside of their catalog. But I doubt they would be happy with a major brand knocking off their overall design aesthetic.
Old 14-01-2023, 20:14   #19

His tender weighs at least 500 lbs, and could easily be as much as 800 lbs. Whether the davits are designed for 250kg or 300kg, it's at the upper end of spec.

Regardless, to answer thr OPs question, there is no practical way to remove a 40hp outboard from a boat where it has remote steering, start, fuel, etc. He should leave it on the tender. If the boat is indeed a 62 footer, there is little risk of being pooped given its transom height, buoyancy, and speed a 62 foot boat can carry (assuming access to weather and seamanship skills to interpret the wx data).
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 20:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
His tender weighs at least 500 lbs, and could easily be as much as 800 lbs. Whether the davits are designed for 250kg or 300kg, it's at the upper end of spec.

Regardless, to answer thr OPs question, there is no practical way to remove a 40hp outboard from a boat where it has remote steering, start, fuel, etc. He should leave it on the tender. If the boat is indeed a 62 footer, there is little risk of being pooped given its transom height, buoyancy, and speed a 62 foot boat can carry (assuming access to weather and seamanship skills to interpret the wx data).
The reason I brought up the possibility of custom davits from Simpson is that the listing I found claims that his particular davits are rated for 1320lbs. The OP did say in his post that the davits were reinforced, so maybe Oyster spec'd a standard Simpson davit and then somebody later did something to make them stronger. Or maybe Oyster modified them at the factory. Or maybe it was a special order from Simpson.

I totally agree, it seems unfeasible to remove the motor on a regular basis, and it seems like if reasonable precautions are made, then he should just use the davits.

In regards to ocean crossings, like SailingHarmonie, I would be averse to carrying the dinghy in the davits, at least on my boat, even though that's how the previous owner did it when he sailed over in the ARC. I've even talked to the captain of an Amel 50 that crossed from Europe straight from the Med to New England, and they kept their dinghy in the davits for that. I at least have the option to stow mine on deck, the OP doesn't.

I have to imagine that with these larger boats with center console dinghies, but that don't have room on the foredeck for custom chocks, they have to use the davits all the time. It seems likely that Atlantic crossings during the normally proscribed seasons and routes carry relatively low risk for these larger boats. And a good cover that could take a reasonably large wave would certainly be desirable.
Old 15-01-2023, 04:50   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leave outboard on Dinghy while underway?

The thing about dinghies on davits is they have a tendency to swing around at sea, decreasing their weight as much as possible is the best option and lash it well into place.
Pad it where it comes into contact with hard surfaces to prevent rubbing.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:19   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The thing about dinghies on davits is they have a tendency to swing around at sea, decreasing their weight as much as possible is the best option and lash it well into place.
Pad it where it comes into contact with hard surfaces to prevent rubbing.

That's a big one. One of the keys to carrying a dinghy in davits is being able to secure it so it can't move in any direction, and to also make sure it's tied down so it can't bounce. Getting mine adequately secured so it can't bounce, rock, swing, or move noticeably in any direction takes 5 carefully placed lines after it's hoisted (and that accounts for some of the constraining being done by the dinghy being pulled tight against the davit uprights and stern rail).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:34   #23

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

I carry my AB 10 RIB with 20 hp outboard (total weight about 250 lb) on davits (rated at 300 lb ea for total 600 lb capacity) when offshore but I wait for calm weather and my passages are relatively short (50 - 60 nm). Also as others have said I strap in well to prevent lateral sway. BUT I would not do so with a 40 hp outboard and center console RIB.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 07:47   #24

My concern is that it is RIB. Imagine the flexing going on at the transom in a pounding sea. I would pull the motor off. Get an outboard motor lift and store it on the aft pulpit when going into open water. Of course if you’re going along a coat for a day or 2 you’re probably fine as you can be confident in your weather forecast.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:00   #25

Re: Leave outboard on Dingui while underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The risk of davits offshore depends a lot on the boat. The wider the stern of the boat and the higher up the dinghy is carried (or further forward in the case of a cat that carries the dinghy between the hulls), the harder it will be to take a wave into the dinghy.

For offshore use, I'd also want a very tight fitting cover on the dinghy that's strongly supported in the middle to keep it from sagging. That way even if you do get smacked with a wave, you're unlikely to get a full dinghy load of water in there. Plus the davits should be significantly over rated relative to the dinghy being carried.

I think you nailed it! 👍
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:42   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I have left my outboard on the dinghy for 11 years. The combo of the dink and outboard are within the capacity of the davits. I think it matters nothing to the davits whether of not the outboard is on the dinghy if a wave were to hit it as it is going to get ripped off. But no wave has ever come close to breaking onto the dinghy.

But I will say that a folding stern dinghy doesn't hold up to the weight if the motor flexing the assembly. It really needs to be a solid floor/stern unitso iot is supported well.
Old 23-01-2023, 12:50   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'

From experience, here is my opinion. We own a similarly weighted dinghy rig. 3.6m Avon semi-rigid hull inflatable with Yamaha 40 Enduro. Heavy as and wouldnt own if it hadnt come with the yacht when we purchased 10 years ago. The yacht is a 50' steel Van de Stadt. We have travelled from NZ to Tonga and slowly to Indonesia before turning around during latter part of covid and coming back to NZ. The previous owner who set up this rig travelled the Atlantic many times. The design of davits meant the o/b could be kept on the dinghy for coastal cruising, but was recommended to have o/b off during bigger passages. We (inexperience and too much faith in the specs) often did long coastal passages with the o/b on dinghy. We have had two disasters with this ... i will quickly add here that the second was when we had to bail a port when winds came up very suddenly in Indo so we didnt have time to get the o/b off and the nearest shelter was over 200nm away. The issue we have is chafing. We have reinforced the davit system to be stronger before our crossing from Brisbane to NZ in June as it was cracked. The old system had brackets attachable to the dinghy that slotted and bolted in to the davits for offshore/wilder coastal winds. Still the o/b should be off the dinghy. As far as swamping goes there is some protection from a large solar system laid on the davits. And the dinghy is approx 2.5m above sea level. Swampy to some degree would still be possible but very rare. My suggestion is use descretion for coastal cruising and in particular watch for chafe. Offshore definitely remove o/b.
ACooee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 13:35   #28

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

If you must have your dinghy on Davits when going offshore, definitely get a cover. If you have a way to get the outboard off, by all means, do. The best would be to have the outboard and the dingy off of the davits. It is a much safer alternative.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 23:31   #29

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilive2sail View Post
My outboard hangs on the Dinguy while it's up on the Davit, the Davits were re-in force enough to handle the weight of the tender and the outboard which is a Yamaha 4.0 however, should I remove the outboard and store it on the boat while underway? Or leave it on the Dinguy.
That’s a big engine! It will be ok until it’s not - then scary disaster. I do the same and frankly it’s a bit worrying. But I have 3 hp
Motor so much lighter. Strap it up as tight and high as possible and avoid big wind and waves.
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 04:19   #30

I'm in the fortunate(?) position where with my current dinghy, I can't leave the outboard on to lift it in the davits. The davit arms are wider than the lifting points of the dinghy, so the stern arm and tackle would be blocked by the outboard if I left it on. Potentially, if I get a longer dinghy, that might change, but I really don't mind taking the motor on and off.

Tags
outboard